• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Second Debate Thread

I think this is the beginning of the end for the republican party. Despite running against the second most hated politician who has ever run for president, republicans cannot win the White House. The judges will become more liberal over time. The minorities may become the majority within 30 years (see US News). Younger voters are not associating themselves with Republicans or their ideals (biggest disparity since the 50s). The current Republicans need the crazies to stay relevant, but they are turning away moderates. My wife changed from a republican to a democrat within the past 10 years. My mother in-law is voting for Hillary (first democrat she has voted for in over 40 years), my father in law is not voting for the first time in 40 years. This strategy is not sustainable for Republicans. I honestly don't know what I would do if I was a Republican leader. Donald Trump is entertaining and exciting a base which is tearing apart the Republican party. I actually want a strong moderate Republican party. It is a shame.

If this is the end of the Republican Party as we know it then good riddance, I don't know very many people that it represents

Trump got record turnout in the primaries. Good luck with finding a sensible moderate.

Here's to hoping that when the dust settles the Republican party or what ever survives it becomes much more Libertarian than Conservative. That is what should have happened before now anyway if the party wants a future.

A party like that without some of the koo koo Libertarian ideas could be the most popular party in the country.

If the moderate Republicans could somehow get the hell away from the Religious Right and just run on strong conservative fiscal values there would be plenty of attraction there.

A lot of people I associate with on a daily basis support the fiscal policies of the Republican party, but when you have candidates who believe the same thing you do fiscally, but are: anti gay-marriage, don't believe in evolution, don't believe in climate change, are ignorant about a lot of other social issues currently going on in America, it puts voters in a very tough spot to support and vote for the candidates.

27, the inmates are running the asylum in much of the country outside of the Northeast. In VA, we'd have a Pub governor right now if the right wing of the party had had a primary instead of a convention where the Christian Right and tea baggers pushed through Kookinelli. I'm interested to see after this election how the party rebrands itself and what effect that will have on the Dems and how they rebrand themselves in turn.

Everybody but Cruz, Pence, Huckabee, Palin, and hyper partisan Dems wants a pragmatic socially libertarian GOP.

Seriously, how on Earth did this Supremely-qualified, inevitable candidate not knock him out last night? She was already more qualified than any who dared previously seek the office, he was already more unfit to serve than any person who has ever even uttered the word President, and then she gets handed the electoral gift of a lifetime, and THAT's what we all get?

The picture on the box doesn't match the product, guys.

If the moderate Republicans could somehow get the hell away from the Religious Right and just run on strong conservative fiscal values there would be plenty of attraction there.

A lot of people I associate with on a daily basis support the fiscal policies of the Republican party, but when you have candidates who believe the same thing you do fiscally, but are: anti gay-marriage, don't believe in evolution, don't believe in climate change, are ignorant about a lot of other social issues currently going on in America, it puts voters in a very tough spot to support and vote for the candidates.

I'm not even sure that is enough...the republicans can't beat the democrats on strictly their fiscal policies anymore. That is why they have a coalition of crazies (I think Rove started that but I may be wrong). They had the true Republican party and then convinced a bunch of crazies that they were on their side so they would win elections and be able to push their fiscal policies. Now the crazies have taken over and are killing the fiscal republicans in the primaries. If they just go back to the way they were then I think they would lose more. The best thing republicans have going for them right now is that the crazies vote in nonpresidential years and they get out to vote in droves. They may have House/Senate control longer than you would expect despite changing American demographics.

I'm not even sure that is enough...the republicans can't beat the democrats on strictly their fiscal policies anymore. That is why they have a coalition of crazies (I think Rove started that but I may be wrong). They had the true Republican party and then convinced a bunch of crazies that they were on their side so they would win elections and be able to push their fiscal policies. Now the crazies have taken over and are killing the fiscal republicans in the primaries. If they just go back to the way they were then I think they would lose more. The best thing republicans have going for them right now is that the crazies vote in nonpresidential years and they get out to vote in droves. They may have House/Senate control longer than you would expect despite changing American demographics.

There's another round of redrawing of Congressional districts coming up as well.

Seriously, how on Earth did this Supremely-qualified, inevitable candidate not knock him out last night? She was already more qualified than any who dared previously seek the office, he was already more unfit to serve than any person who has ever even uttered the word President, and then she gets handed the electoral gift of a lifetime, and THAT's what we all get?

She is not an inevitable candidate. She is a deeply flawed candidate that the Republican party cannot beat. It shows the weakness of the Republican party. I think the republicans best chance at the white house will be the next election because she is hated so much; let's see if the religious right will allow a moderate to represent them; otherwise, they will lose again.

Last edited:
Trump: She is allowed to do that, but I'm not? Sounds fair, sounds fair.

Trump: One on three.

Trump: Excuse me, she just went about 25 seconds over her time. Can I respond?

Trump: You know that’s funny. She went over a minute over and you don't stop her. When I go one second over --

Raddatz: You had many answers.

Trump: It's very interesting.

Trump: Because you would be in jail.

because Bernie Sanders, between superdelegates and Debra Wasserman Schultz, he never had a chance and I was so surprised to see him sign on with the devil.

Still playing to his base.

Ha, I hadn't noticed that. He seems pretty confident that he can keep the bugger in, though.

She's a flawed candidate, but I can't imagine her campaign wants Trump out. I know that is what you want, but the Clinton campaign wants to win.

You will have to suffer through with the rest of your party for the next 30 days.

Trump is hard to debate. He is a know-nothing whose debate style is insults and boasts backed up by meaningless platitudes. And last night he went scorched earth. Really an insult to the dignity of the election.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Trump is hard to debate. He is a know-nothing whose debate style is insults and boasts backed up by meaningless platitudes. And last night he went scorched earth. Really an insult to the dignity of the election.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

It's shocking how much Clinton has been able to put up with. Certainly more than I could do if I were bullied like Trump has bullied Clinton.

He talks no policies because he knows no policies. He's more interested in getting in "zingers" about Clinton going to jail to appeal to his deplorables.

Virtually impossible to debate somebody like that. He really is like the middle school bully who knows nothing and just shouts insults and threatens people all the time.

Back