• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Selection Sunday Thread

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
Things get started at 6 and there's a lot of banter going on so I figured we could just have one thread for everything. This year is going to have tons of carnage in the bracket, with tons of upsets. I'm really excited for things to get kicked off.

I think that the one "big surprise" on the bubble (I think it was South Florida last year) will be Iowa getting in. I think the Big 10 will get a ton of credit. If St. Marys gets left out of the tournament I'm going to be VERY disappointed. My 1 seeds are: Louisville, Kansas, Gonzaga, Miami. I think that Indiana might snag the last spot instead of Miami though. I think Louisville, Kansas, and Gonzaga are locks...Louisville is pretty much a lock as the number one overall seed.

Ole Miss beating Florida, complete with Marshall Henderson's gator chomp midway through the second half, might have knocked somebody off the bubble. I think Virginia and Maryland are basically finished, both might get a top seed in the NIT though (alongside Kentucky).

My predictions:

Miami - 1 seed
Duke - 2 seed
UNC - 5 seed
N.C. State - 7 seed

Maryland - 1 seed in NIT
Virginia - 1 seed in NIT
Florida State - 4 seed in NIT

I think there might be a HUGE shock on the bubble but I'm not sure what it will be. There are just so many teams that could be in, could be out depending on what criteria the committee uses that it's hard to figure out who will be in.

Last edited:
The sight of Seth Greenberg on a Selection Sunday set is all kinds of unintentional comedy.

Give UNC a 6 seed.

Agreed that State can be dangerous if they play to their potential. Quarters against UVA was a great showing.

Last edited:
I meant to have UNC as a 5 seed, but now that I look more at it I think that's pretty generous too. Editing original post, but will leave it at 5. I think HTTD is probably right that they're going to be a 6 or a 7.

Iowa's non-conference strength of schedule was 313. They will not get in the tournament.

The West Coast Commissioner is on the committee. I think that will save St. Mary's from any trouble. Plus it helps that Gonzaga was so good.

My only difference from Lunardi is Tennessee in and La Salle out. I think Middle Tennessee will get in by virtue of winning 28 games and having the #9 non-conference SOS. Would be a real shame if they get left out

Last edited:
UVA and Iowa both poised to be the first two teams in five years from a major conference to be in KenPom's top 30 and not make the tournament. Georgetown didn't make it in 2009 despite being in top 30.

I think this is most likely attributable to the recent surge of mid-majors.

Is anyone tracking Lunardi to see what kind of last second changes he magically makes this year?

I'm wondering what school(s) are going to get the most attention for not getting into the tourney or the ones that get seeded lower than anticipated? Vitale always finds one or two schools that he loses his mind over for being left out of the tournament. It seems Middle Tennessee State is a candidate. Also, you could argue Miami deserves a #1 seed if they end up not getting one.

Virginia and Middle Tennessee State both deserve to get in. I would be stunned if both get in. I'd be furious if St. Marys doesn't get in. They went 27-6 and half their losses came to Gonzaga.

Is St Mary's really in danger? I haven't heard their name come up.

I've seen a lot of rumblings about them on ESPN and around the Twitter-verse. They're frequently grouped in with MTSU. Personally I think St. Marys is well in, but I could be wrong. I see them as high 11 seed or low 12 seed. They'll avoid the First Four either way IMO.

St. Mary's only win over a tournament team was Creighton at home. They may owe the dying Bracket Busters for getting them in the tourney.

Still think they get in since the WCC commish is on the committee and Gonzaga was so, so good. As doofus (I think?) mentioned before St. Mary's has lost only 3 games all year against teams not named Gonzaga

Think it will be Louisville-MW, Gonzaga-W, Kansas-S, Indiana-E as the 1s, with Duke taking the #2 East and Miami with the #2 South. Probably Georgetown as the #2 Midwest and Michigan #2 West. State will probably get a #7, UNC probably a #5 because it's UNC. I think UMD has a better chance of making it than UVA, but either would be a surprise.

St. Mary's only win over a tournament team was Creighton at home. They may owe the dying Bracket Busters for getting them in the tourney.

Still think they get in since the WCC commish is on the committee and Gonzaga was so, so good. As doofus (I think?) mentioned before St. Mary's has lost only 3 games all year against teams not named Gonzaga

Gonzaga has exactly one win over a ranked team this season.

UVA and Iowa both poised to be the first two teams in five years from a major conference to be in KenPom's top 30 and not make the tournament. Georgetown didn't make it in 2009 despite being in top 30.

I think this is most likely attributable to the recent surge of mid-majors.

UVA would be the first team in thirty years (maybe longer-since the NCAA expansion to 64+ for sure) to have SIX losses to teams ranked over 100.

If you lose six games to teams that bad, there is no rationale for them to be anyone's Top 30.

Back