• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) Says He Won't Run for Governor

1. Yes, you cannot serve consecutive terms as Gov in VA. Can't remember anyone during my lifetime who has come back and served a 2nd non-consecutive term here. Only president ever to do so was Cleveland.

2. Deval Patrick certainly wouldn't be Scott Brown, nor is it anywhere near a certainty that he would beat Scott Brown for Kerry's senate seat. Nor is it even a certainty that he would run. I strongly feel that 1 of the main reasons Warren won (and she was badly outperformed by Obama) was that the senate was potentially in the balance, and many folks voted for the D rather than the R to keep it that way. In a special election, voters would know that this would only be the difference between 55 and 54, so that same incentive wouldn't be there. Add to that Dems don't seem to have the same turnout that Pubs do in presidential off year elections. And add to that Brown has huge name recognition over any other Dem candidate not named Patrick. From what I've read, many Dems believe they'd be throwing that seat right back to Brown.

3. Not sure what McDonnell is going to do. Doubtful he challenges Warner, who is almost as impregnable as the other Warner used to be. And it would be 5 years after he left office before he'd be able to challenge Kaine. And he'll be 3 years out of office if he runs for Prez against a field that will likely have better name recognition. My bet is that, if Kookinelli loses next year, he comes back and runs for gov the next time around.

Brown got trounced by Warren. Patrick is popular. MA is Dem country. Do the math.

Mills Godwin served two terms with Linwood Holton between them. Godwin did it in style - first as a Dem and then as a Pub. This was in the late 60's and early 70's

It really doesn't matter. We are going to tax and nationalize our way to Argentina. Let's let Hillary have a crack at it in four years. Krugman wants to tax me at 91%. You can have it. At that point I'm just going to walk the earth. I won't afford golf anymore.

Good news in the paper today. My former congressman, Tom Perriello, is considering a run for VA governor, which would hopefully save us from Terry McAuliffe and Kenneth Kookinelli. Tom's a good guy and would have a strong shot at beating Kookinelli.

Agree that Perriello is pretty good guy...easily the best choice of the three you mentioned.

I always felt bad for perriello. It was clear as soon as he voted for obamacare he was going to lose re election. Unfortunately as a first term rep he had no choice in the matter.

What's even sadder is by 2016, the public will be overwhelmingly in favor of ACA.

The biggest success of Obama's first term is also part of his biggest failure. His team failed miserably in the PR of ACA.

Back