• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Senior living facilities near Winston

awakeandready

Squirrelmonger
Reaction score
Heyooo reviving my boards life to ask for help! My grandparents are facing the fun changes that accompany getting older and are considering senior living facilities. They're currently in Hilton Head but would like to be closer to family, so are looking in the Winston-Salem area. I think they'd be open to anything in the area, even towards Triangle/Charlotte options if there's a good one. My grandmother has dementia so key for them is in-house dementia service. Other requirements are that they can live together and are looking for 2bd/2 bath and a full kitchen. Anyone have experiences to share (good or bad) - feel free to PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks, all!

My great-aunt was at Homestead Hills across from Hanes Mall. She was very happy there. I don’t know much about their dementia services, though.

I know it’s hard finding the right place…best of luck.

I don’t have any specific knowledge to provide, but I can tell you that as an almost 40 year old I have visceral memories of touring facilities with my mom for her dad as a 9 year old.

I can’t stand hospitals or senior care facilities to this day. I’d make sure that when you look at facilities make sure you have child care arranged.

Some family friends of mine had a good experience with a pair of their folks at Trinity Elms in Clemmons, I think?

But I don't know specifics related to what you're looking for -- I think they were living together until one of them had a stroke and had to have more specialized care.

Good luck.

Quite familiar with this property and the parent company that owns/manages several retirement communities in North Carolina. If you're looking for a full-service CCRC I'd recommend.

No recs, but some positive vibes. It’s hard. We’re going through this with my mom now in Atlanta. She can still care for herself and lives with her husband, so she doesn’t need a FT facility, but just got her into adult day care and looking for some in home help to give him a break. Have looked into some FT places for when the time comes.

I don’t have any specific knowledge to provide, but I can tell you that as an almost 40 year old I have visceral memories of touring facilities with my mom for her dad as a 9 year old.

I can’t stand hospitals or senior care facilities to this day. I’d make sure that when you look at facilities make sure you have child care arranged.

Honestly would not have thought about that, good advice! Thankfully, I think I'm mostly doing desk research and they'll visit themselves, with my gfather being the decision maker. But given that I live in town, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that I get involved.

Quite familiar with this property and the parent company that owns/manages several retirement communities in North Carolina. If you're looking for a full-service CCRC I'd recommend.
I had to google "CCRC" if that tells you how much I know about this area. Thanks for the rec!

No recs, but some positive vibes. It’s hard. We’re going through this with my mom now in Atlanta. She can still care for herself and lives with her husband, so she doesn’t need a FT facility, but just got her into adult day care and looking for some in home help to give him a break. Have looked into some FT places for when the time comes.

Thank you. It's been manageable for a while but I think it's getting out of my grandfather's depth and he's pretty isolated taking care of her all of the time. I'm hopeful they find a place they like and just make the change.

We just went through the same thing with my grandmother back in 2021. We toured a bunch of facilities in the area, and settled on Cadence in Clemmons. They have a great memory care unit, (my GM had Alzheimer's), and their facilities looked cleaner and better staffed than the others we toured.

Back