• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Senseless heartbreaking tragedy

Underrated

Reaction score
http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/Man-shot-in-the-head-just-outside-uptown-161955585.html

Some of you in Charlotte probably saw this story. Matt Hawkins and I met in the third grade. We became fast friends and would be classmates and best of friends for fourth and fifth grade. We attended church together, we played football together for Belk Yates, we were bitter enemies in little league baseball. Matt was very competitive and confident in his abilities. It was sad when his father was transferred with Black and decker and the Hawkins family left Asheboro. We agreed we would keep up and we did for a couple of years with occasional phone calls and a few letters.

We lost touch in the high school and college years although I often thought about him and wondered what he was up to. Out of the blue one night in 2001 Matt called, he had tracked me down by calling my parents. We talked for well over an hour and caught up on our lives and such. We agreed we would get together soon to catch up more. We started talking regularly and Matt soon joined a group of our friends on a trip to the Bahamas. It was very cool to have Matt back in my life, we were interested in the same things and were on the same wavelength. I think Matt had a photographic memory, It was amazing how he could recall things from our Asheboro childhood days.

We began to do camping trips together on a semi regular basis, Matt LOVED camping and it was fun to be around someone who enjoyed camping as much as I did. We would cook hot dogs and sit around the fire and talk about so many things. I'm thankful for those memories. In 2005 my ex and I opened a sandwich shop in Asheville, Matt had much experience with his Subway's and he was so generous to share his knowledge and skills by helping us in so many ways. He would not let me pay him, he was a real pain that way. I bought him a pressure washer as a gift but he insisted I could borrow it anytime I needed it. He tried to pay for every meal we ate out when he came up to Asheville.

Two weeks ago Matt came up to Asheville to help me on a bathroom remodel job I was doing, we worked until 2am friday night, Saturday we finished up mid afternoon and decided that we should head into the mountains and do an overnight camp out. We swam in a waterfall, we built a fire and ate hot dogs and loved every minute of it. I can not fathom that Matt is gone.

37f11a99.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Hope they catch the a-hole who did this. Senseless. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

that's awful. i had seen something on the news about it, but not really read the whole story.

that's awful. so sorry for your loss, and many prayers to family and friends that are undoubtedly reeling from this.

Awful stuff man, thank you for telling us about Matt tho, what a loss for the community.

That is terrible, to have a life so senselessly and tragically ended. Very sorry for your loss.

Yeah, this is nuts. Definitely a transitional neighborhood. Also, it's the neighborhood where RacerDeac lives.

Sorry to hear about that. I was halfway through dialing my parents to tell them the news until I clicked the link. I had a friend in HS named Matt Hawkins (my parents are still close friends with his parents) who moved away from Asheboro before HS and who now lives in Charlotte, loves camping, has a connection with Subway franchising and travels to Asheville all the time. It's eerie how similar these guys are.

I know that Matt Hawkins as well. He actually has a rental property in the same neighborhood.

eta I did not know he had any ties to subway, did he go to Carolina?

Holy shit that is just ridiculous. So sorry to hear that. Lord knows I would go ape shit if something like this ever happened to my buddies.

I know that Matt Hawkins as well. He actually has a rental property in the same neighborhood.

eta I did not know he had any ties to subway, did he go to Carolina?

He did go to Carolina (class of '00). His brother and step father were opening some Subway franchises like 15+ years ago (though I don't know much about it all). Assuming it's the same guy, small world.

Sorry to hear this. What a crazy mess. The world is full of terrible people

What an awful story. So sorry for your loss, and I'll be thinking about all of you affected by this. Hope they find the perp soon.

Sorry for yours and his families loss. He seemed to be doing great things for the communities he was around. It said that acts of violence like this over nothing runs off the good people who want to make a difference in this world. And prayers to you, his family, and his son who will grow up without his daddy. This makes me so mad.

What a sad, sad story. All affected will be in our prayers. Sorry for your loss.

Back