• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seven years for this

Nearly every decision. We are in the middle of one of the most successful all around years for the department as a whole right now.

Unlike in 1991, 80% of the league has bowl slots. We slid into the First 4 on the weakest bubble ever and collapsed. This is simply not a successful year. We are in the bottom 1/3 of the league in football and basketball this year. That is not winning. What if Wake Forest graduates held ourselves to that standard in the real world? Is it ok to be in the bottom 3rd of all doctors, lawyers, and business people? Maybe for Bowling Green graduates...

Unlike in 1991, 80% of the league has bowl slots. We slid into the First 4 on the weakest bubble ever and collapsed. This is simply not a successful year. We are in the bottom 1/3 of the league in football and basketball this year. That is not winning. What if Wake Forest graduates held ourselves to that standard in the real world? Is it ok to be in the bottom 3rd of all doctors, lawyers, and business people? Maybe for Bowling Green graduates...

Be prepared for the tennis and soccer rebuttal. It's a dagger!

No I have kenpom that adjusts for tempo and strength of opponent. They had us listed as the 23rd best defensive efficiency in 2009. Our problems that year ended up being on offense.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

If you want to believe that WF had the 23rd best defense in the country in 2009 by all means do so. There is nothing I can do to stop you. And, after all, there are still people who believe that we never landed on the Moon. One thing is for certain, though. That 2009 team ranked 244th in the nation in points allowed per game. Spin that any way you wish.

As I said in an earlier post, I've kept hearing that statement made, but I do not know what it is based upon. The following link shows that the 2009 team gave up 2,193 points in 31 games.....which was 186th in the nation in fewest total points allowed. This chart doesn't give each team's defensive ppg average, so you would have to divide each team's points allowed by games played for a true comparison. Still, WF played 31 games that year which was around the average for all teams....and gave up 2,193 points for an average of 70.74 PPG. I would be very surprised if that was in the top 25 defensive scoring averages in the country, but I didn't divide all the teams' points allowed by games played to get all the averages, so I could be wrong. Do you have a list of scoring defense PPG for that year?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2009-school-stats.html

ETA: Found a chart with the averages:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2009-04-07

WF was 244th in the nation in scoring defense in 2008-09.

It is based off an equal # of possessions. A fast tempo team of course is going to give up more points a game than a slow one, but if you take 100 possessions for every team & then compare, Wake landed as a top 25 defense based off efficiency. Dino was not a good head coach IMO, but he did bring the pack line D in & it performed light years better than Prosser's system did the few years prior. A good team finds a balance of both & that of course was the team's major issue this season. UCLA is another example as they reflect similar qualities as our '05 team & likely will suffer a similar fate.

If you want to believe that WF had the 23rd best defense in the country in 2009 by all means do so. There is nothing I can do to stop you. And, after all, there are still people who believe that we never landed on the Moon. One thing is for certain, though. That 2009 team ranked 244th in the nation in points allowed per game. Spin that any way you wish.

Do I rely on a system that is very similar to the system that bookies use grading teams or a bitter old man who doesn't understand the impact of tempo?

Hmmm. I will go with kenpom. You really sound like an idiot with this line of reasoning.

UNC that year was 272nd in ppg allowed (again all based on tempo) but was actually the 21st best defensive team and won the NCAA title that year.

Last edited:
Do I rely on a system that is very similar to the system that bookies use grading teams or a bitter old man who doesn't understand the impact of tempo?

Hmmm. I will go with kenpom. You really sound like an idiot with this line of reasoning.

Don't interrupt him. Let him keep rambling on.

We slid into the First 4 on the weakest bubble ever

Our resume would've gotten us in nearly every single year.

There weren't any viable at large teams that missed the tourney besides Illinois St and Syracuse, but the teams that made the field all easily had historically viable resumes

I see. You wish to frame your argument around an unquantifiable variable which you can use in any manner you choose to claim that you are right no matter what the actual numbers are.

The purpose of defense is to prevent the opposing team from scoring. The team that allows the fewest points is the team that plays the best defense. You can still win games by allowing more points if you have a better offense and score more points yourself....but that doesn't mean that your defense has played better.

Major rule changes since 2009. Do some homework.

PPG allowed is just a terrible metric to judge defensive quality. High tempo teams are trying to create as many possessions per game as possble because they figure that they will score more points per possession in those extra possessions than they will alllow, and over the course of the season, it will maximize their W/L record. You can have the best defensive team in america and have that philosophy and you won't be close to the front in PPG allowed.

Back