• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Severe Weather

Rut roh.

SevereWeather0427-B.jpg

So bike commuting is probably out the early part of this week, huh?

Hell yes. I love severe weather.

You serious? Not me. I lost power for over a week when those crazy winds came through a couple years ago. I do think it would be cool to be a weather chaser though. I wouldn't mind hanging with those guys.

I love a good thunderstorm as much as anyone else, but tornadoes are where I draw the line. Bad personal experience with one.

I love a good thunderstorm as much as anyone else, but tornadoes are where I draw the line. Bad personal experience with one.

+1. After losing a loved one in the '98 Stoneville tornado I don't mess around with severe weather. Hopefully the storms this week are nothing like that one was.

Apologies to dredge up negative past experiences. I didn't mean to offend anyone -- I just love the sound of thunder and the fury of lightning.

No worries. There isn't much better than opening the windows to a good thunderstorm and taking a nap. I'm just a lot more aware of what kind of punch said thunderstorm packs nowadays.

Apologies to dredge up negative past experiences. I didn't mean to offend anyone -- I just love the sound of thunder and the fury of lightning.

I'm not offended at all. I used to be really into major storms and following their destruction, until I spent the better part of a night pulling people out of houses that collapsed around them. It really changed my perspective.

I have a healthy respect for storms, but I love them. As others have mentioned, rolling thunder on a summer night is a great lullaby, and at the beach I love sitting on the porch and watching storms roll out to sea... as soon as things get really severe, though? nope. I'm a wreck. I used to get sick to my stomach at the sound of the tornado watch/warning sound on TV. It still makes things churn; I truly don't think I could ever live in the heartland/tornado alley because of this.

A couple weeks ago I stopped by Raleigh to see family on my way back to WS from Baltimore just in time for a tornado warning. Mom was in the basement stairwell with the pets whole my dad and I watched the "hook" on the local weather go directly over our house without dropping a funnel. Scary stuff.

A few years back my brother was traveling from Austin to New Orleans and got caught in a tornado in Nagadoches, LA. It was dark and there werent many street lights so he couldnt see a damn thing and said he thought the tornado was bearing down on him based upon the sound, wind and his knowledge that there was a tornado forming in the area. He proceeded to punch through a window of some store he found and climbed inside for safety. Turns out the tornado completely missed the city and he was in no danger. My bro had to go to the emergency room because he sliced his hand up pretty good. To top it all off, the store owner wanted to press charges for breaking and entering against my brother, but in the end was convinced to accept payment for the broken window instead.

Have some friends in Alabama that are in tornado shelters tonight. Prayers go out to all those in the path of these storms.

Last edited:
I remember
how the darkness doubled
I recall
lightning struck itself.
I was listening
listening to the rain
I was hearing
hearing something else.

Back