• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart to Tennessee???

You guys are assuming we even offered Shaka. It's entirely possible the administration 'leaked' that solely so the fan base would think we 'took a shot'.

I find it hard to believe we swung at the fences only to land at Manning. I think Manning was Wellman's pick all along. Another guy with NBA experience and ties. Had we swung at 4-5 top tier guys prior to Manning then it likely would have leaked or been used by at least one of them to better their own contract. I just don't buy that we went from Shaka to Manning all in 1 day. Manning was the guy all along.

A number of extremely reliable sources on this board had an offer to Shaka confirmed - guess only a few will ever truly know.

And Dino has to keep beating programs off with a stick. Amazing his name doesn't come up at all.

And Dino has to keep beating programs off with a stick. Amazing his name doesn't come up at all.

Dino hasn't been qualified for any of the high profile positions that have come open this spring, with maybe the exception of Tulsa, and unless Dino is on your family plan, I doubt you have any idea who has contacted him.

Dino hasn't been qualified for any of the high profile positions that have come open this spring, with maybe the exception of Tulsa, and unless Dino is on your family plan, I doubt you have any idea who has contacted him.

If people believe in the coaching mythology that Dino's coaching led us to #1 in the country, how would Dino not be qualified for the Tennessee position?

You guys are assuming we even offered Shaka. It's entirely possible the administration 'leaked' that solely so the fan base would think we 'took a shot'.

I find it hard to believe we swung at the fences only to land at Manning. I think Manning was Wellman's pick all along. Another guy with NBA experience and ties. Had we swung at 4-5 top tier guys prior to Manning then it likely would have leaked or been used by at least one of them to better their own contract. I just don't buy that we went from Shaka to Manning all in 1 day. Manning was the guy all along.
1. That Manning was Wellman's pick all along does not in any way foreclose the possibility that we spoke with, and even offered, other candidates. All indications reflect that RW was not flying solo on this search whatsoever, at least with respect to which candidates to target.

2. Several insiders (or posters claiming to be) posted that we at the very least made contact with several other candidates, including Amaker, Miller, White, and Howland, but that for one reason or another no formal offer was ever extended.

3. I don't think anyone claims that we went from Smart to Manning "all in 1 day." Did we move on relatively quickly after receiving a 'no' from Smart (assuming we in fact extended him an offer)? Sure. But I find it hard to believe we weren't engaging other candidates, at least in preliminary fashion, while we waited for Smart to give us his final decision.

If people believe in the coaching mythology that Dino's coaching led us to #1 in the country, how would Dino not be qualified for the Tennessee position?

This is a strange dead horse to keep beating, there's hardly anything left but bones. The indisputable fact is that Dino coached a team he helped recruit to 17 straight wins and a #1 ranking. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that any number of coaches could have led that team to equal or greater success, but that doesn't change the fact that Dino was the coach that did it. Why keep disparaging a under-qualified coach who was asked to take over for his dead friend?

Last edited:
This is a strange dead horse to keep beating, there's hardly anything left but bones. The indisputable fact is that Dino coached a team he helped recruit to 17 straight wins and a #1 ranking. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that any number of coaches could have led that team to equal or greater success, but that doesn't change the fact that Dino was the coach that did it. Why keep disparaging a under-qualified coach who was asked to take over for his dead friend?

I don't mean to disparage Dino personally. I think he did well in difficult circumstances. But I think the people on this board who have made Dino out to be some coaching legend are in error.

I don't mean to disparage Dino personally. I think he did well in difficult circumstances. But I think the people on this board who have made Dino out to be some coaching legend are in error.

I would consider myself nearly the most outspoken Dino apologist on this board, and I can say with certainty that no one here has ever made Dino out to be a coaching legend, or anything near it. Im not sure what argument you're trying to make, but I hope you didnt need that strawman to hold it up.

Dino was a better coach than [Redacted]. That doesn't make him a coaching legend.

No one on this board every has spouted the narrative that we were number 1 in the country because of Dino. As a matter of fact, back on the old board a number of posters wanted him canned after cleveland state because of the burnout that happened that year. Everyone knows that team was loaded with talent.

We should have been a Top 5 team with the talent we had. Dino's lack of coaching is what kept us from being that.

We should have been a Top 5 team with the talent we had. Dino's lack of coaching is what kept us from being that.

Dino was no legend but he was a part of a coaching staff that produced some of the best talent and most post season appearances as any decade in Deacon history. [Redacted] was an obvious downgrade in all aspects. Will be interesting to see how Manning will compare. We have not hired a coach after three tries that is an obvious upgrade over the Odom and Prosser hires IMO.

That's a really weird way to put it considering, you know, we were a top 5 team that year. Hell we finished the year ranked 8 and 9 in the two major polls.

That's a really weird way to put it considering, you know, we were a top 5 team that year. Hell we finished the year ranked 8 and 9 in the two major polls.

lol, come on. we finished 27th in kenpom and got murdered by cleveland state. biggest waste of monte players ever.

tyndall is UBER DONK

Back