• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

There's nothing vague about what I've said. There was nothing vague when I posted he wouldn't take either the State, IL or MN jobs. I stated he wasn't looking to go to another big state school. Many here were certain he'd take the IL job. Then they were sure he'd join his buddy in MN. Each time I was told I was wrong. I was told I was "talking out my ass". Hmmm....what came to be reality?

I also stated the dissolving of the A-10 would help. I also said his wife's future is important to him and should be part of our negotiation.

I stated last year that the number would have been about $2.75M/8 years. I also stated then there would be a premium if we waited. Hence the number is now about $3.25M and could go higher.

We have a realistic shot but not at $2.5M. Hopefully Wellman learned his lesson when he low balled Stevens.

Unless he does another miracle FF run this year, there is no reason why it should've climbed half a mil in one year because his team is in the top 25

If Wellman went out and got Shaka, all would be forgiven. It would be the most improbable redemption in the history of redemptions.

With that said, it's never going to happen.

Nothing he could do would allow me to forgive him for [Redacted]. Hiring [Redacted]--conceivably. Keeping him for four years--never.

Unless he does another miracle FF run this year, there is no reason why it should've climbed half a mil in one year because his team is in the top 25

Keeping VCU in the Top 25 year to year is a pretty good accomplishment.

Not expecting us to get Shaka, but I would love to one day buy a fucking tell-all book that explains what our AD is doing and has done over the past 7 years. Despite his bike accident, I don't think Wellman is completely retarded, so I'd like to understand why we weren't able to hire Smart or Marshall. If it's a personality thing, explain. If it's money, I can accept that, but explain. Someone get to work on this.

Considering that Wellman's searches have typically been very secretive, that sounds pretty good. The fact is pretty much no one knows what Wellman is thinking. People "close to the program" know what Wellman wants them to know.

Any of our insiders know if Hatch and the BOT are going to allow Wellman to do his own unfettered search as a committee of 1 again?

Not expecting us to get Shaka, but I would love to one day buy a fucking tell-all book that explains what our AD is doing and has done over the past 7 years. Despite his bike accident, I don't think Wellman is completely retarded, so I'd like to understand why we weren't able to hire Smart or Marshall. If it's a personality thing, explain. If it's money, I can accept that, but explain. Someone get to work on this.

It's LOWF. Wellman has come to embody it: justifying our unique culture by walking away from success and losing, er um, practicing historical competativeness. Then everyone can be comfortable with generous pay and little or no expectations or consequences: the AD, the athletic department, the "true fans," the anti-athletic faculty members, and so forth. Losing the right way works, you see. Sehr gemütlich!

And don't forget, everyone else around the ACC loves us.

How? Wake can't compete financially with Wichita State and Richmond? It's got absolutely nothing to do with money.

This is simple. Wellman isn't going to change his stripes. We are not hiring Shaka or Marshall. We will hire a conservative middle-aged coach with a modest record at a mid-major that is blemish-free in the ethics department. More likely than not he will be white and from the Midwest. If we're very, very lucky those qualities will overlap with some actual coaching prowess as in the case of Clawson.

Was away from this thread for a while so I missed out on Milhouse's ire. Don't know if it is directed at me or not but I have no problem telling you who my "source" is (without naming him). He is a guy that coached with him in a summer league years ago (AAU or something like that). He still talks to him on occasion and he has told me that Shaka would be interested in the Wake job but it would take around 2.5 to get him. Is my friend full of shit? Perhaps but I thought it was interesting enough to pass along. Do with it what you wish.

The former, joking. Their idea that they ONLY want to hire from the family is absurd. Davis, Miller, Brown, and Ferry seem to be options? Does that excite anyone? I guess they could stretch Self to being in the family if it helps them sleep at night.

Oh, man, we're all forgetting the man who actually is the best basketball coach to graduate from Carolina... funny how his name doesn't come up, even though he is still coaching and (of course) still available.

It is my recollection that VCU is a big school, with 31,000+ students and a hell of a lot of alumni.

Richmond is comparable to Winston, and better in some regards.

I seriously doubt that Wake can outbid VCU, so unless Shaka actually wants the challenge of coaching for a small private college in the ACC, his coming to Wake seems unlikely.

It is my recollection that VCU is a big school, with 31,000+ students and a hell of a lot of alumni.

I seriously doubt that Wake can outbid VCU, so unless Shaka actually wants the challenge of coaching for a small private college in the ACC, his coming to Wake seems unlikely.

By these criteria, Arizona St should be able to hire the best coaches in America.
Needless to say, there's a whole lot more to it than that.

We should be able to outbid vcu. I don't know a ton about how the money is split up, but the ACC has to be handing out a helluva lot more than A10..plus vcu arena seats ~8 k folks..with the right coach we dwarf that easily. Couple thousand extra fans per game per year becomes real money fast..

This is a pretty silly post. Georgia state has a student Body of around 20,000 and is located in Atlanta, but I dont see them outbidding any coaches? Why because they at in a crap conference and have negligible basketball tradition. VCU does not play in a premier conference, does not get the same exposure (outside of when Shaka takes them to the dance), does not have a great basket tradition, and there is no way they can outbid Wake if we want to pay.

If Shaka wants to stay in Richmond and play it safe that is a legit reason but the idea that wake isn't a very appealing position is dumb; and the idea that we cannot compete in the salary game is even dumber. We are a great historical program participating in the heart of the greatest basketball conference ever assembled. We have more money flowing through out athletic program than ever before due to our new tv contracts. With a great basketball hire donations would take a huge leap forward. There is a lot to be desired. Man I hate LOWF.

This is a pretty silly post. Georgia state has a student Body of around 20,000 and is located in Atlanta, but I dont see them outbidding any coaches? Why because they at in a crap conference and have negligible basketball tradition. VCU does not play in a premier conference, does not get the same exposure (outside of when Shaka takes them to the dance), does not have a great basket tradition, and there is no way they can outbid Wake if we want to pay.

If Shaka wants to stay in Richmond and play it safe that is a legit reason but the idea that wake isn't a very appealing position is dumb; and the idea that we cannot compete in the salary game is even dumber. We are a great historical program participating in the heart of the greatest basketball conference ever assembled. We have more money flowing through out athletic program than ever before due to our new tv contracts. With a great basketball hire donations would take a huge leap forward. There is a lot to be desired. Man I hate LOWF.

Mobile rep...
#thumbsup

Please make it stop. Shaka isn't going anywhere. And W-S and Richmond are about as alike as W-S and Raleigh. Wellman is certainly smart enough to hire Shaka if he were available, which he isn't. Give it up. Everyone else has. It isn't Ronnie's fault. I've been saying for 4 years he loves it here in Richmond and has built VCU into a perennial power that keeps improving. And the A-10 will likely get the same number of bids this year. It is more likely that VCU will join the ACC as the 2nd non-football school with Notre Dame. I give that a .002% chance of happening, and Shaka coming here a .001% chance of happening. Marshall ain't leaving his deal at Wichita either. There is really no one I am excited about at all. White, maybe. But we better fire Buzz tonight and offer White Monday because he is likely to have other offers.

Mobile rep...
#thumbsup

I agree, but it isn't the money with Shaka. I just think he is in the mold of Mark Few and wants to be the guy that built it and stay for 30 years. And he's getting paid well and recruiting just fine. Better than most ACC schools not in the triangle.

Back