• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shanghai

slothrop

Reaction score
I'm headed to China on Tuesday to see the folks in Shanghai since my pops got transferred out there. Anyone ever been? Any suggestions or things I absolutely have to see or do?

Try the street food. I thought the Shanghai Musem was cool. The city is pretty easy to navigate and you can hit all the tourist sights in a day or two. Do you know on which side of the river you'll be staying?

There is a mobile number that you can call and the people will translate to chinese what you are trying to say. Helps in taxis!! I didn't discover this until it was too late.

Also, the French Concession is a sweet strip of bars/restaurants that caters to the expats. There is a bar called I heart (the symbol) shanghai that is pretty cool.

woke up on a clipper one morning and found myself on a trip there. great city.

I was there in about 1988 or 89 before China really undertook any economic development and started throwing skyscrapers everywhere. Shanghai was definitely my favorite city that I visited in China at that time (HK at the time was still British), as it had the most western influence and architecture. I'm not sure how much of that still remains these days.

Back