• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaving With Safety Razor Advice

WFUtoUSC

Reaction score
Pit, I know we used to have a shaving thread, but I couldn't find it and I need help, so I figured I'd start a new one. Over the holidays, I made the switch from my Gillette Fusion to a safety razor. The results have been poor at best. I either end up butchering my face or I get dissatisfied with the closeness of the shave and switch back to the Fusion to finish up.

How can I start shaving well like a damn man again?

Don't press down the razor to your face. Let the razor's weight do the work (you won't take off layers of skin).
Put the razor straight against your face (so the handle is perpendicular to your face), then bring the handle down so that the razor blade actually touches your face. This is the proper shaving angle according to my former barber who gave me some tips.
Pick up a bottle of Shave Secret, it is amazing and cheap. 3 drops as a pre-shave lubricant plus cream/soap/gel works wonders.
Short strokes then rinse. Go over an area twice if needed.
Always shave with the grain until you are very proficient with the razor.
Try new blades, some are more forgiving than others. First pair that I had were samurai blades, current ones (Derby Extra) work really well for me.
Hot shower beforehand and cold water afterwards.

But the best thing to get a good shave is the prep work. Also, get a styptic pencil or alum block because everyone is going to cut themselves shaving sometimes.

all of the above is correct assuming the safety razor is "razor" shave sharp. if you're not willing to put in the time for skin prep and blade sharpness, use the Fusion; it's not that different.

What's the upside to using one of these? It seems to be time consuming.

Once you get the hang of it, it isn't much more time consuming that shaving with a modern razor. The key is finding a blade that suits your face and your skill level. Some of the benefits are clearer skin (as a double edge razor doesn't pull and cut you hair like a modern gillette type razor does, it just cuts it at the surface) and honestly my face feels great after shaving. Some of that feeling is due to the fact I use a badger hair brush and higher quality shave soaps and creams versus the gel-in-a-can stuff that is so prevalent. Oh, this style of shaving is FAR cheaper than buying replacement cartridges. Blades are very cheap and a wide variety are available online. I probably spend $20/year on shaving supplies (and all of my razors were free as they were my grandfather's).

Thanks for the advice, IslandDeac.

Yeah, the main reason I made the switch was the cost of replacing cartridges got ridiculous. The razor blades are a ton cheaper than buying the cartridges. I also wanted to get a closer shave than I was getting with my cartridge because I was really dissatisfied with it.

Anyone use a straight razor? I'm debating on making the switch to it or a safety razor, knowing I'll most likely be cutting my face up the first few times.

I tried a straight razor a couple of times and got really good shaves but it takes longer to shave and requires more upkeep so I prefer a safety razor. You might get a closer shave with a straight razor (not sure) but I think the results are really close. So it basically comes down to whether you want to do the longer, ritualistic straight razor routine or the shorter, less "cool" safety razor routine.

Straight razor? Welcome to 1903!

Do you people still use flint and steel to start a fire?

I think I'm gonna try out this safety razor thing

I have a safety razor on my birthday list. You can buy a years worth of razors for like $20.

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about a week. I don't know that I've gotten much closer yet, but it does feel like i'm shaving like a real man now.

Do you do two passes? One with and one against the grain? I just switched to a new blade(I got the 25 blade variety pack) and it is loads better than the stock merkur

Do you do two passes? One with and one against the grain? I just switched to a new blade(I got the 25 blade variety pack) and it is loads better than the stock merkur

I have been

What did you get? I've heard feather is where it's at

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about a week. I don't know that I've gotten much closer yet, but it does feel like i'm shaving like a real man now.

It took me a little while to get used to. I didn't think I was getting a particularly close shave at first. Then I went a week using my old Gillette Fusion. The difference in quality between the Fusion and the safety razor is extraordinary - it is a significantly better shave. If you're not crazy about the quality of the shave yet, I'd recommend trying different blades until you settle on one that works for you.

Back