• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

She’s really truly baaaaaaacccckkk

I believe it's accurate to say the Dems have not elected a POTUS who was over 60 for his first term in over a century.

I believe it's accurate to say the Dems have not elected a POTUS who was over 60 for his first term in over a century.

The last Democrat to win the presidency who was over 60 in his first presidential election victory was James Buchanan in 1856. Truman was 60 (almost 61) when he took office, but of course he assumed the presidency after FDR's death in April 1945. Democrats do seem to like electing relatively young-ish pols to be POTUS. Obama was 47, Bill Clinton 46, Jimmy Carter 52, JFK 43, and FDR was 50 when they were elected to their first terms.

Yet somehow establishment Democrats forgot this history and cleared the field for Hillary again and no youngs had the guts to stand up against her like Obama did.

Yet somehow establishment Democrats forgot this history and cleared the field for Hillary again and no youngs had the guts to stand up against her like Obama did.

Yep. That and the fact that the Democrats have done a terrible job of developing a bench of young, up-and-coming stars. Obama emerged as just such a figure after his dramatic speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Part of the reason for this, I think, was the shadow of Hillary Clinton, and the fact that the Clinton wing of the party didn't want anyone to emerge as a serious challenger to her for the 2016 nomination, especially after what happened to Hillary in the 2008 primaries against Obama. It's left the party with a very weak bench for 2020. Hopefully this year's elections will provide some new, fresh faces for future campaigns. The Democrats could badly use an infusion of new, younger blood.

It’s up to the Dems to use a “weak bench” as an advantage. Lots of new fresh faces to win over the base and challenge the ruling party. Pretty much everybody under 60 in office right now is an unknown to people who don’t follow politics.

Last edited:
Back