• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

Yeahh I haven't told my grandmother/great aunts that I probably won't be doing a formal receiving line.

i have been to my fair share of weddings...i have never once been to one with a formal receiving line. do people really still do that?

i have been to my fair share of weddings...i have never once been to one with a formal receiving line. do people really still do that?

My cousin did. I do feel like it's a good, quick way to make sure you get to see everyone. We're doing a big exit from the chapel and then going to take pictures while everyone else goes to the reception so there really isn't a good time for us to do it. My grandmother asked when it was going to be the other day and I just kind of brushed it off.

I went to my buddy's wedding from 3-10 grade and had never met his wife until the receiving line.

I know a lot of people wait until after the wedding to open all of their gifts and write their thank you notes, but honestly, we just opened them as they came in and wrote thank yous before the wedding if gifts came beforehand. It was SO nice to come back from the honeymoon and not have ALL of the thank yous to write (only gifts given at the wedding or ones that came in the mail after). Etiquette be damned. This made our life way easier (and I have not heard one complaint).

ETA: You better believe I wasn't the only one writing thank yous either ;-).

We didn't do a receiving line either. Did pictures after the ceremony and then were introduced into the cocktail hour. We made it around to probably 75% of people at the cocktail hour and then went around to tables between courses at dinner before dancing really got started. I think we missed a handful of people, but saw nearly all of our 250 guests without a receiving line.

We opened it annnd will probably be using it. Thank you letter to go out this weekend!

We are def doing a photo booth. Every wedding I have gone to has been great with the photo booth.

Good thing for the men- cigar rollers at the reception.

We are def doing a photo booth. Every wedding I have gone to has been great with the photo booth.

Good thing for the men- cigar rollers at the reception.

definitely do a photo booth. so much fun.

awar- are you doing a buffet dinner? my bro and SIL just stood at the head of the buffet table, seemed to work pretty well, though they ate last.

awar- are you doing a buffet dinner? my bro and SIL just stood at the head of the buffet table, seemed to work pretty well, though they ate last.

Ohhh good idea! Yes, we are. Did they stand at the end or the beginning? End seems like it would be awkward because people have plates of food and can't hug you BUT they also will be more likely to hug you. Beginning could cause a bottleneck.

Ohhh good idea! Yes, we are. Did they stand at the end or the beginning? End seems like it would be awkward because people have plates of food and can't hug you BUT they also will be more likely to hug you. Beginning could cause a bottleneck.

I'd say the end...just a guess.

All of this wedding talk is getting me nervous about my future wedding...SO MANY THINGS TO THINK ABOUT!!!

definitely stood at the beginning for food-free hugging. bottleneck didn't seem to be an issue.

We had a buffet line & then just went by the tables to say hello to our guests.

The last wedding I was at with a formal receiving line was my dad's cousin's wedding where I was the flower girl when I was 4. Hour-long receiving line after an hour-long nuptial mass = way too long for a small girl.

oh, and it was just the sets of parents and my bro/SIL in the receiving line.

yeah, either one. i feel like it kept it moving faster, too, because people wanted food.

Back