• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

before this year, i never ever pulled the fake sick thing. but i've done it twice this year, and it's worked out well. the key for me is to make it seem really very likely. like i had a bit of a cold at one point earlier this year. my boss specifically commented on how i sounded a little under the weather. next day? sick day. totally believable.

On the subject of sick/vacation days, how many of yall have that system instead of PTO? PTO is so vastly superior. Don't want to work? Don't come to work.

Granted I've only ever worked in one company and we have separate vacation, personal and sick days. Aside from the fact that I would love to tap into my sick time now and then for an epic vacation, I'm sort of glad it is separate. If it was all just PTO then nobody would call in sick when they should, because most likely they would already be saving the PTO hours for vacations and stuff. I despise when sick people come to the office, so if keeping sick separate helps them stay home, then all the better.

Of course people still come in sick all the damn time.

i've been legitimately sick one day (a monday) and i've left early twice for 'not feeling well'. the days i left early were definitely times when i walked out the door, got around the block and just went about my merry afternoon.

that said, i have no qualms about using sicktime for 'mental health' reasons... especially when i have more than two weeks of time built up. if i know i have a handle on things and the next day is going to be slow anyway, and there's somethign i'd rather do, i'm definitely fine calling it in. work-life balance! the trick is to actually DO something on that day off. hike, run, be outside, shop for that thing you've been meaning to get, etc... it's such a nice break and huge mental boost to allow yourself the time to enjoy something.

before this year, i never ever pulled the fake sick thing. but i've done it twice this year, and it's worked out well. the key for me is to make it seem really very likely. like i had a bit of a cold at one point earlier this year. my boss specifically commented on how i sounded a little under the weather. next day? sick day. totally believable.

This. As long as you don't abuse it, you can definitely pull it off. You have to be a bit careful if you're a person that tends to get sick a lot regularly (in case you actually need to use a sick day and you just took a skip day off), but you likely are fine.

If there's any way to do it during the middle of the week and not a Monday or Friday it is also way more believable. Sometimes a nice mental health day in the middle of the week is refreshing. It's certainly possible to use a sick day on a Monday or Friday to extend the weekend, but you can't make a habit of it (Once or maybe twice a year? No problem).

LOL once a coworker called in "sick" on a day my boss took vacation. Boss went for a hike with his family and ran into coworker in the mountains hiking with his whole family. That didn't go over so well. What are the odds, right?

oh, also, if you're fb friends with coworkers, don't post anything about what you're doing that day. i know it sounds like common sense, but i definitely had a coworker whose wife was around all the time, so we were all fb friends with her, and while he didn't post anything, SHE did.

LOL once a coworker called in "sick" on a day my boss took vacation. Boss went for a hike with his family and ran into coworker in the mountains hiking with his whole family. That didn't go over so well. What are the odds, right?

if confronted, i'd play the mental health card.

...but yeah, that sucks!

oh, also, if you're fb friends with coworkers, don't post anything about what you're doing that day. i know it sounds like common sense, but i definitely had a coworker whose wife was around all the time, so we were all fb friends with her, and while he didn't post anything, SHE did.

yep, i'm not friends w/ any coworkers. i wouldn't post about it anyway, but still. these ladies don't need to know/see more than i tell them.

my old job had one PTO conglomerate.. i liked it okay, but then again i didn't. also i only had 10 days total, so i always had to save a few days on reserve in case i did get deathly ill and needed to take a sick day (also no work from home option at that job) so it really discouraged taking a day off if you were sick bc you're basically burning a vacation day to stay home and do nothing. now we have separate sick/vacay/personal days and we can work from home so i like this system a whole lot better. plus we can take mental health days too if we want.

I have 800 sick hours. I felt shady 3 weeks ago bc I took a sick day on the Friday before Labor Day when I had a vacation day the previous Thursday. But I still sounded sick on Tuesday when I got back to work so it's not like my boss didn't believe me.

ugghh, I have 10 combined sick/vacay days for the year, although they are pretty flexible about letting me make up time, etc. But our year starts in Oct. and I missed 3 days in Oct. for a funeral and a week in Dec. when my sister almost died/had a baby. I've made it 9 months on 2 days off. It sucks.

Damn first year analysts at my job get 20 days PTO and you can roll over 10 days from the previous year.

ugghh, I have 10 combined sick/vacay days for the year, although they are pretty flexible about letting me make up time, etc. But our year starts in Oct. and I missed 3 days in Oct. for a funeral and a week in Dec. when my sister almost died/had a baby. I've made it 9 months on 2 days off. It sucks.

Damn, that sucks. 10 days total is horrible.

Damn first year analysts at my job get 20 days PTO and you can roll over 10 days from the previous year.

when i had just gotten out of wake, i think we started at 5 weeks PTO. now i have 3 weeks vacation and 1 week sick. it was definitely fun when i had tons of vacation time to play around with, but i'll still take reasonable working hours over additional vacation time any day. being miserable for 47 weeks out of the year isn't worth the 5 weeks vacation. at least now i get 49 weeks of reasonable life, and 3 weeks vacation.

My current company has PTO instead of vacation/sick days. I love it. I also have 35 days, so I really have no idea what to do with all that time. (It's also the first job I've had that doesn't actively discourage taking days off. No client service FTW!)

Last edited:
On the subject of sick/vacation days, how many of yall have that system instead of PTO? PTO is so vastly superior. Don't want to work? Don't come to work.

Truth...I get 12 days of PTO per year, plus the ability to put overtime hours (any billable hours after 40 in one week) in a comp bank that I get to pull from. So nice not to have to worry about using sick vs. vacation days.

yeah 10 days was basically impossible. plus my best friend who i traveled with had 4 weeks of PTO while i had the 10 days... it SUCKED.

also, i totally just found my halloween costume:

images

I get 11 holidays, 3 personal days, 2 weeks vacay, and sick time accrues a 4hr/pay cycle. i also get 40 hrs dependent care, and i think 3 days funeral.

it pays to work closely with unionized employees (even though i'm non-rep).

Back