• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shift in Voter Party Identification since August 2010

ncsportsnut1

Reaction score
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/partisan_trends

Survey tracks how voters ID themselves, i.e, Dem, Repub, Independent, Other. Uses same 15,000 survey each time to have apples to apples comparison. In August 2010 Dems had edge 35% to Republicans 33.8%, rest would be predominantly unaffiliated which is interesting in and of itself. Fast forward to August 2012 however, and the Republicans increased to 37.6% while the Dems dropped slightly to 33.3%. It's a significant shift if it holds to Election Day.

Rasmussen is to the GOP as Daily Kos is to Dems. Neither is believable about anything.

Not a subscribe so I can't read the whole article. That's a big jump in a month.

Comparing Rasmussen and Daily Kos is laughable. That being said, who cares. This election sucks.

The margin of error was 1%. That is a large survey. Most likely the shift is right leaning independents coming out.

Rasmussen is to the GOP as Daily Kos is to Dems. Neither is believable about anything.

Perhaps the difference isn't as profound as portrayed, but you'd have to be blind to not see that Obama has lost many of the Reagan Democrats that Bill Clinton brought back into the fold. And that was before he passed Obamacare.

He just got 7.5 million more votes than any presidential candidate had ever gotten in the nation's history. We aren't talking about a hanging chad election here.

Dude, pretty much every winning President from here on out is going to get more votes than any other. That's not demonstrative of anything. What I'm talking about are the people he has lost since that election, and that's the point of the OP.

Perhaps the difference isn't as profound as portrayed, but you'd have to be blind to not see that Obama has lost many of the Reagan Democrats that Bill Clinton brought back into the fold. And that was before he passed Obamacare.

The question is whether these gains will be completely wiped out by the republican party turning off moderates by adopting positions like no abortions under any circumstances, no gay marriage, tax cuts for the rich, etc. Dems are the party of no policy, pubs are the party of shitty policy. Everybody loses under this scenario except for the people who have paid millions to the GOP to see their extremist economic or religious beliefs enacted into legislation under the republican party platform.

How is this shift unbelievable? I know all the liberals on this board are in school or are quite comfortable. But many fellow Democrats are not. If the polls are to be believed they are a tad disallusioned with the current administration. If you don't like Rassmussen then look at Obama's approval rating with Gallup or whatever poll you like. Hell, Carville's poll showed Obama down 15% with independents the other day.

You think that the number of people who identify as Republicans has jumped up 8% in a month?

You think that the number of people who identify as Republicans has jumped up 8% in a month?

Now who isn't doing their homework... it is comparing 2010 to today, if the OP is correct.

LOL. Rasmussen & Gallup are like Rosencrantz & Guildenstern.

Well, who do you believe? Not that it matters. WSJ/NBC? Pick a poll and look at his approval rating. Then look at polls weighted with whatever voting block you like. None of it looks good for Obama. He should get a bump after the convention next week but now the Romney coffers have opened up. He gets to start spending the war chest, so it is going to get very interesting.

Now who isn't doing their homework... it is comparing 2010 to today, if the OP is correct.

I did my homework. I read the article, at least as much as I could without subscription.

Izatso? Would you care to wager that the winner of this election will get more votes than Obama got in the last one? And if I give you 2 to 1 odds, to boot?

Didn't think so. You're just blowing hot air....again.

Way to focus on something innocuous and make a wager about it. Ooooh, a wager!

Do you or do you not agree that Obama has lost a good portion of the Reagan Democrats that Bill Clinton brought back to the Democratic party?

Back