• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shoes vs. No Shoes in the House

Do You/Your Guests Take Off Your Shoes When You Enter Your Home?

• Total voters
our shoes are off in the house (a near necessity with little kids tracking stuff all through the house). We have a loose no shoe policy - if you're a guest, we don't really mind, but most friends take off their shoes when they come in.

If you are the person who sweeps, mops and vacuums every day, you appreciate those who remove their shoes! No policy at our house. Just a thoughtful practice.

when we were younger, mom was more adamant about us taking our shoes off before we went upstairs (carpet) because we had a tendency to run around in the woods like hellions with little regard for dirt/tracking things in. as we got older, it was less of an issue. in our place i find that i take mine off when i come in because they're generally wet (thanks, portland rain), but if the shoes are dry it's not as big of a deal. work shoes (heels) i usually take off as soon as i can because i generally dislike them. in others' homes i try to follow their lead.

I normally take my shoes off ASAP because i generally find no shoes or barefoot to be 1000x more comfortable

Last edited:
we make the kids take off their shoes to minimize dirt tracking, and the wife and I generally change into "inside shoes" (sandals or slippers) when we get home. We have a rack on the deck for "outside shoes" like rain boots and old sneakers for yard work. Guests generally leave their shoes on unless they are little kids. Most adults are going to be careful about tracking mud into someone else's house.

If you are the person who sweeps, mops and vacuums every day, you appreciate those who remove their shoes! No policy at our house. Just a thoughtful practice.

You sweep, mop, and vacuum every day?

I generally have my shoes off when I'm at home but I don't take them off before walking around. I change out of work clothes when I get home and then the shoes come off. I can see the need for the rule if you have light carpet.

From what I've seen growing up and now having my own place it really depends on what type of flooring is in most of the house. Families that had houses with almost all carpet would ask that I remove my shoes upon entering the house while those that had mostly hardwood or tile floors didn't really care either way. With my new place it's hardwood and I don't mind what other people do and I usually keep my shoes on until I go up to my room. Sounds like i'm not normal though as almost every pair of shoes I wear are extremely comfortable and I don't mind having them on at all.

Back