• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut

22 students of the 26 enrolled in my 1st period class today are absent.

I'm not surprised. One of the area school systems put all of their schools on a code yellow lockdown. Then put 5 additional officers at each school. Of all the families I know with kids in school, none of their kids are in attendance today. 1) because of the lockdown and 2) because they aren't going to miss anything since it is the last day before Christmas

Not saying that it isn't true because I know parents rationalize it that way but #2 is just ridiculous. There is always a "last day" before anything. If yesterday was the last day it would have been the same thing. Same for the "last day" before Spring Break or the end of the year.

I've got two kids. My oldest hasn't missed a day in over two years and my youngest's streak isn't far behind (healthy buggers). The oldest and I talked at length about Newtown. He said that a lot of his friends were pulled out on Friday afternoon. He admitted to being a bit scared himself. I told him the reason my wife and I didn't was because we'd be sending him on Monday and the day after that and the day after that. Until the principal or law enforcement says a threat is credible, they are going to school. "Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time" (thanks, Mike Cooley) - words to live by.

That said - Code Yellow Lockdown? 5 additional officers at every school? Almost seems like they should shut them down if they are that worried OR perhaps such heavy security will become the new normal.

I'm not surprised. One of the area school systems put all of their schools on a code yellow lockdown. Then put 5 additional officers at each school. Of all the families I know with kids in school, none of their kids are in attendance today. 1) because of the lockdown and 2) because they aren't going to miss anything since it is the last day before Christmas

Not saying that it isn't true because I know parents rationalize it that way but #2 is just ridiculous. There is always a "last day" before anything. If yesterday was the last day it would have been the same thing. Same for the "last day" before Spring Break or the end of the year.

Check your rep.

Honestly, as someone who used to work in a school, I kind of have to agree with the last day reason. Nothing is accomplished. As a teacher, you spend your day coming up with worthless shit to do because the kids are wired ready to get out and they have their Christmas parties that day. It is not the same as the day before spring break. And the last day for the school year, is a week.

Last edited:
Yes. principal let it slip that she isn't holding absences against the students who are out because of fear. Insane. We are in Code Yellow lockdown as well. Bomb dogs roaming the halls, cops everywhere, etc.
I think in my 4th period class later today, literally all 21 kids are absent. In my 2nd period, 24 of 33 were absent.

I live a block from a highschool and it was a ghost town today. I didn't see crossing guards either, so I assume the nearby elementary school was also closed. I guess Charleston County just shut 'em all down today.

I live a block from a highschool and it was a ghost town today. I didn't see crossing guards either, so I assume the nearby elementary school was also closed. I guess Charleston County just shut 'em all down today.

Some school systems were already out today anyways.

22 students of the 26 enrolled in my 1st period class today are absent.

I hope you did something for the kids there today that would be a serious reward and make the other kids jealous when they find out. Hire some decent looking hookers or at a minimum break out a keg or something. Or both.

Thanks for the article. Comments are interesting . . .

I was a pub hs teacher. Again, there is always a "last day" and it is typically a wasted day no matter what (I like to think that I tried to teach a concept or two but I'm sure I slacked as well). Here in WS/FCS, yesterday was the last day and, sure enough, one child had a party all afternoon while the other put on his winter play again (some value in that, I guess). Taking away the violence fears (legitimate, according to some of these threats/lockdown codes, apparently), I think there is value in teaching your kids that going to work or school every day is important.

Check your rep.

Honestly, as someone who used to work in a school, I kind of have to agree with the last day reason. Nothing is accomplished. As a teacher, you spend your day coming up with worthless shit to do because the kids are wired ready to get out and they have their Christmas parties that day. It is not the same as the day before spring break. And the last day for the school year, is a week.

Back