• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the Tea Party break away and form a 3rd Party?

I'd much rather see moderate republicans break off and form a third party. If the Tea Party leaves you will see the GOP slowly creep back towards the middle. Much too slow and much too late to make up for shifting demographics.

The moderate part (not really sure what that consists of anymore) of the republican party, and the country, would be much better off if they would jump back to the middle. Despite the polarization of politics recently that is still where most of the voters are and such a jump would allow the party to get ahead of the demographic shift and force Democrats to respond in turn.

I'm convinced such a shift can happen but unfortunately I don't expect it in the next 5-10 years.

LOL. Your political party is doomed by its own despicable strategy. It has been coming for some time as population demographics changed in a totally predictable manner....and the GOP doubled down on stupid as it was happening. Make jokes if you wish. That's about all you & those like you have left. It's just a matter of time....and that time is getting shorter by the day.

(And yet another response to a post of mine that totally ignored the content of my post. Some things on this board just never change.)

It isn't about me at all. I am not a Republican and never have been. The disintegration of the Republican party is probably the best thing that could happen to American politics, I don't care if they all jump off a cliff. But I find your obsession with them quite interesting.

Here's a question: why is BKF so angry about nearly every topic?

Despite what you hear from the Tea Party nuts....whose definition of "moderate" bears no semblance to reality....there really aren't that many moderates left in the Republican Party today. They have been systematically purged from forces in the GOP that demanded "ideological purity" in the Party. That is why people like Chris Christie are forced bow at the feet of people like Ralph Reed if they are going to have a chance to get the Republican presidential nomination.....and why such a nomination is all but worthless after it has been won.

Politicians are expedient if nothing else. I think there are good number of closeted moderate politicians in the Party that realize they have to win primaries/elections. I know that there are a large number of moderate conservative voters. Unfortunately when the parties go to the extremes moderate voters are forced to stay home or vote for the lesser of two evils. That's not good for the country.

groundhog-day-bill-murray.jpg

Yeah, everyone can tell by your posts how much you dislike the Republican Party. Care to divulge your voting history in presidential elections?

It is interesting how many posters on this board say they are not a Republican....while simultaneously blasting President Obama and defending GOP congressional actions in the last six years.

I've actually divulged my presidential voting for you several times on here, only to have you never retort. And blasting Obama for his idiocy has nothing to do with being a Republican, it has to do with having a working brain. Despite what the media tells you, there are not only two defined options.

What's funny is watching BKF continue to support Obama, even as he further defines himself as George W Bush II in so many of the areas that BKF was most critical of W.

just sayin'
Golf is an individual sport. It's not like he unexpectedly resigned as coach from his 12-8 team with 10 games left in the season like Bob Knight did in 2008.

RacerDeac said:
Conveniently, he left after he got his 900th win, but before what looked like a losing season could be added to his career record. That's class, OWG style.

The only way a third party works in the US is if it takes people from both parties. If the TP splinters, it will give Dems huge advantages in many elections.

The only way a third party works in the US is if it takes people from both parties. If the TP splinters, it will give Dems huge advantages in many elections.

Dem electoral floor already is 242. Subtract the Tea Party and it's well above 300. The only voters who benefit from two conservative parties are the extreme right and the extreme left. If presidential elections are virtually guaranteed, Dems would have no incentive to nominate pragmatic centrists over ideologues. California's a one-party state, but jungle primaries (top two primary vote getters irrespective of party advance to the general election) take some of the bite out of the huge Dem advantage. Gives somebody like Kevin Johnson, who's married to hated teacher union reformer Michelle Rhee, a fighting chance get on the November ballot for Governor and potentially win. Otherwise he'd lose the Dem primary to a machine hack like Gavin Newsom. Tea Party's pretty butt hurt about open primaries in MS, but plenty of left of center Californians voted for the more rational 'Pub in the recent primary. The Tea Party guy got popped for trying to carry a gun on a plane two years ago and had tons of loopy views. Jerry Brown's still going to cruise to victory easily, but the Tea Party candidate was dangerous and embarrassing and people voted accordingly even if Brown will only win by 30 points rather than 60 points.

Back