• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should we be concerned about the offensive rebounding %?

Is this style really set up for postseason success? Shooting percentages usually go down in the postseason. Unfamiliar gyms, better defenses.

A mostly rational discussion about Wake Forest basketball. Mods, are you going to allow this?

A "mostly rational discussion" about whether offensive rebounding is important. Of course it's important. What's irrational is that we are even debating this point. We have the numbers on multiple years of the Buzz system and it results in poor rebounding. There are exceptions to almost every rule but the fact is that a team is much more likely to be successful if they rebound well.

Is this style really set up for postseason success? Shooting percentages usually go down in the postseason. Unfamiliar gyms, better defenses.

If you have the players, this system is an advantage in post season as few teams will have seen it. It puts their players into positions they aren't used to occupying.

Playing a weave/Princeton offense mankes the defending team run more on defense. Thus they get tired.

The switches other teams have to make are unusual.

Many said it was bad D that allowed CJ to make a layup to win the game earlier this season. They couldn't be more wrong.

It was an excellently designed offensive play that created the mismatch which led to the game winning shot. The big had to try to cover CJ or he would have had an uncontested layup. There was only one other defender on that side of the court and he couldn't leave Chase wide open for the short corner three.

This will happen more and more when we have more talent.

Another variation off this offense will come when Tree is handling the ball against a 3 or 4 versus Tony. When Tree takes the ball to the middle, he will have two of Codi/CJ/Chase spotting up.

Plus a big will have to cheat to stop Tree from making the game into layup drills.

Once Tree and Codi understand the offense (mid to late season), we will be a very dangerous offensive team.

Stop speaking in absolutes about what MIGHT happen with future college freshman. Fuck's sake...

Right now our offense is 135th nationally, despite the fact that our oreb% pretty much can't get any worse. We're 48th nationally in TO%, even though we don't have a quality PG. We're shooting well from the field (85th nationally) and getting to the line a ton (33rd nationally) even though we have absolutely no inside game whatsoever.

In short, no, I'm not that worried about offensive rebounding. Obviously I'd like for it to be better, but Buzz has consistently built excellent offensive teams without any proficiency in offensive rebounding. Examples:

2006 Air Force: 330th in offensive rebounding...27th nationally in offensive efficiency
2007 Air Force: 332nd in offensive rebounding...24th nationally in offensive efficiency
2010 Air Force: 341st in offensive rebounding...34th nationally in offensive efficiency

The #1 concern, by far, should be defense.

Agreed, and we can cross this bridge when we get to it, but teams that don't rebound tend to be teams that get upset in tournament play since their offense is typically predicated on hitting a very high percentage of shots. Which probably explains why his teams got upset a couple times at Air Force

Agreed, and we can cross this bridge when we get to it, but teams that don't rebound tend to be teams that get upset in tournament play since their offense is typically predicated on hitting a very high percentage of shots. Which probably explains why his teams got upset a couple times at Air Force

His AFA teams lost in tournies because they were small and less talented than the teams they played. AFA overachieved to reach to reach those levels and got caught.

His AFA teams lost in tournies because they were small and less talented than the teams they played. AFA overachieved to reach to reach those levels and got caught.

Air Force was less talented than Wyoming in two consecutive years? Interesting view point.

Insanely wrong, but interesting none-the-less.

Didn't see or follow today's game, but I was glad to see in the box score that Ty had 5 offensive rebounds and 9 overall in 23 min (appx). I started an entire thread weeks ago on our rebounding and have been a critic of where we stand. But today, I'll give Ty an "attaboy" for that...and the 12 points. I know this was Gardner-Webb, but we need him to keep growing in confidence and aggressiveness.

Well sometimes, the offensive rebound is the best shot possible in that the ball is close to the basket on a rebound. Also an offensive rebound gives the offense an additional chance to get the best shot possible without first giving up a shot to the opposing team.

Obviously offensive rebounds are good, but first priority should be making the basket the first time. That's all I am saying.

I heard a coach once asked why he didn't run the Princeton offense. He replied with "as soon as I see NCAA championship teams running the Princeton I will run the Princeton."

I don't know for sure, but I don't think there has ever been an NCAA champion that has run the Princeton offense. This doesn't give me much hope for our team considering our Princeton offense consists of a lot more Princeton than it does Hybrid.

Obviously offensive rebounds are good, but first priority should be making the basket the first time. That's all I am saying.

If that's all you're saying, you ain't saying much. Everybody believes that. The problem is that you do need a Plan B just in case. Some coaches believe Plan B should be to crash the boards and try to get a basket when the ball is relatively close to the basket during the chaos after a missed basket. Other coaches believe Plan B should be to not let the opposing team take advantage of that chaos and score on their end.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RJKarl again.

If that's all you're saying, you ain't saying much. Everybody believes that. The problem is that you do need a Plan B just in case. Some coaches believe Plan B should be to crash the boards and try to get a basket when the ball is relatively close to the basket during the chaos after a missed basket. Other coaches believe Plan B should be to not let the opposing team take advantage of that chaos and score on their end.

I know I am not saying much because it's plainly obvious that [Redacted] should run the offensive system that he thinks will result in the best shots for the personnel we have. If that offense limits rebounding then so be it. Getting back on D versus hitting the boards is a different question. Combine our lack of hustle with being out of position for offensive rebounds due to the offense, I understand the decision to get back on defense. Only thing is that if we are essentially going to give up the offensive boards then we have to take really good care of the ball and do well on the defensive boards in order to not find ourselves with significantly fewer possessions than our opponents. We're only doing one of those things. As the personnel works out maybe we will improve on defensive rebounding. That is what is really important in my eyes (two sides of same coin, but I prefer the defensive side).

Last edited:
Back