• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Wealth be a Disqualifier?

2012_state_of_the_union_137670730.jpg

Biden looks normal...Boehner obviously fresh from the tanning bed...what's with Obama? That's some rough makeup.

Yes, the Prez applies his own makeup. Why haven't you mentioned the teleprompter yet?

The others you mentioned understood and helped the poor.

there's never been a candidate during my lifetime who was more out of touch with the plight of the Americna public than Mitt Romney.

Ehh, I don't know. Is your complaint that Romney doesn't give to charity? Or that he doesn't give to the right kind of charities?

He certainly "gives" a lot of his money away. Last I read, he gave away more than he was taxed. But, he gives it to the Mormon church quite a bit.

it's pretty simple, churches aren't charities

i'll tell you what, everyone here can give me 10% of their income and I promise I'll spend some of it on charity work!

it's pretty simple, churches aren't charities

i'll tell you what, everyone here can give me 10% of their income and I promise I'll spend some of it on charity work!

This, coupled with the fact that they're doing it because they're guilted into it and don't want to go to hell.

Haven't read this whole thing, but this got my attention:

"It would be hard for any President to reverse this decades-long political trend, which began when segregationist Democrats in the South—Dixiecrats like Strom Thurmond—left the Party and became Republicans. Congress is polarized largely because Americans live in communities of like-minded people who elect more ideological representatives. Obama’s rhetoric about a nation of common purpose and values no longer fits this country: there really is a red America and a blue America.
Polarization also has affected the two parties differently. The Republican Party has drifted much farther to the right than the Democratic Party has drifted to the left. Jacob Hacker, a professor at Yale, whose 2006 book, “Off Center,” documented this trend, told me, citing Poole and Rosenthal’s data on congressional voting records, that, since 1975, “Senate Republicans moved roughly twice as far to the right as Senate Democrats moved to the left” and “House Republicans moved roughly six times as far to the right as House Democrats moved to the left.” In other words, the story of the past few decades is asymmetric polarization.
Two well-known Washington political analysts, Thomas Mann, of the bipartisan Brookings Institution, and Norman Ornstein, of the conservative American Enterprise Institute, agree. In a forthcoming book about Washington dysfunction, “It’s Even Worse Than It Looks,” they write, “One of our two major parties, the Republicans, has become an insurgent outlier—ideologically extreme, contemptuous of the inherited social and economic policy regime, scornful of compromise, unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science, and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/01/30/120130fa_fact_lizza#ixzz1kVoLNKz2

good article. Probably deserves its own thread.

The others you mentioned understood and helped the poor.
there's never been a candidate during my lifetime who was more out of touch with the plight of the Americna public than Mitt Romney.

So much so that they let them live on their land for free, all they had to do was work for free.

Back