• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SI.com: Ranking college football's 20 most desirable head coaching jobs

Therein lies my ignorance. I thought SC produced a good number of players and Byrnes always seems to be nationally ranked.

Upon further review...I think SC does produce quite a few good players, especially considering that it has a relatively small population (ESPN ranked SC 12th in the US in high school football in 2006).

Really, Clemson should be a lot better in football, especially considering that they can also recruit well in NC, Ga. and somewhat Florida. If I had to give one reason why they haven't been that good since their national title, I would say that they have had a lot of bad coaches. Now that Spurrier is at South Carolina and has been recruiting well and winning more, Clemson looks even worse.

Texas, Florida, USC....the others. I don't think Mac Brown has to leave the state to pull in the best recruiting class in the country.

Auburn is grossly overrated at #9. They had a nice run last year under cloudy circumstances, but that program is a distant 2nd to Alabama in the State, and may not be one of the top 6 programs in the SEC (Bama, Florida, LSU, UGA, Tennessee, Arkansas).

Based on the criteria they chose, I would say they are about right. They definitely have a leg up on recruiting over Arkansas and other than Tennessee the other teams you listed were ranked higher than Auburn. Plus Auburn has 2 national championships, 3 Heisman trophy winners, the best offensive coordinator in the country, and 3 undefeated seasons over the past 20 years.

LSU is too high. Seems like everyone has such a short memory with LSU because they've been so good recently, but before Saban brought them back to prominence about a decade ago they were riding a serious mediocre streak. Like a lot of SEC programs, they have the resources and desire to be an elite program (as they've been for the last 8 years), but I don't think the have the history to warrant such a high spot. Before 2003, their only NC was in 1958, and from 1960 through 2000 they averaged one conference championship per decade.

LSU is too high. Seems like everyone has such a short memory with LSU because they've been so good recently, but before Saban brought them back to prominence about a decade ago they were riding a serious mediocre streak. Like a lot of SEC programs, they have the resources and desire to be an elite program (as they've been for the last 8 years), but I don't think the have the history to warrant such a high spot. Before 2003, their only NC was in 1958, and from 1960 through 2000 they averaged one conference championship per decade.

Same could be said for bama HomerMcCheese. Pre Saban and Post Bear was El Sucko.

Same could be said for bama HomerMcCheese. Pre Saban and Post Bear was El Sucko.

I hate Alabama possibly more than anyone on this board but this is wrong. They won a National Championship in 1992 in the middle of the "El Sucko" time period.

Bama is a top 5-7 job.

Georgia is a better job than LSU, although somewhat overrated at #5.

Auburn is a reach at #9, probably more like mid-teens.

LSU sits on a recruiting hotbed tho and their stadium is a true home field advantage, rare in college football.

I think USC is underrated in this poll.

They are KINGS of L.A. and basically own every great player from the West Coast.

LSU sits on a recruiting hotbed tho and their stadium is a true home field advantage, rare in college football.

The state of Georgia produces FAR more recruits than the state of Louisiana. The difference is that UGA has to compete with sooooo many other schools for their in state talent (besides Tech, there are 7 other HUGE programs located within a 2 hour drive from the state boarder--Florida, FSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Clemson), whereas there is not a single major school within a 2 hour drive from the state of Louisiana.

I hate Alabama possibly more than anyone on this board but this is wrong. They won a National Championship in 1992 in the middle of the "El Sucko" time period.

Bama is a top 5-7 job.

Georgia is a better job than LSU, although somewhat overrated at #5.

Auburn is a reach at #9, probably more like mid-teens.

LSU had a couple of good years in that time as well. Both Bama and LSU are top jobs. I would say above UGA simply due to the Florida factor (ie Florida steals UGA talent and beats them every year). Auburn is not top ten.

Basically, it is timing for UGA, LSU, and Bama with UF just ahead of them. I just hate Bama (and UGA for that matter).

The state of Georgia produces FAR more recruits than the state of Louisiana. The difference is that UGA has to compete with sooooo many other schools for their in state talent (besides Tech, there are 7 other HUGE programs located within a 2 hour drive from the state boarder--Florida, FSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Clemson), whereas there is not a single major school within a 2 hour drive from the state of Louisiana.

Solid points. However, LSU's recent success has brought the Golden Triangle and Houston into play, the former of which is closer to Baton Rouge than either Austin or College Station.

ETA: Although they don't have a single damn player from Beaumont, Port Arthur, or Orange, but several from the Houston area.

Last edited:
Georgia is Waaaaaay too high.

No way a Georgia opening would generate more interest than an LSU or Bama opening, just no way.

agreed, but one advantage the georgia job has over bama is that you don't have to live in Alabama.

RTR MAHN, RTR. ARRR TEEE MUTHERFUCKIN ARRRR

AlabamaFan.jpg

It'll be really interesting to see what happens with Penn State in the next couple years. Paterno is really starting to show his age and I can't see him coaching for more than a couple years. With the trouble at Ohio State, Penn State could become the dominant team in the Big 10. I'll be interested to see if Penn State promotes from within (Tom Bradley) or tries to go with a big time hire. If Al Golden succeeds at Miami he's a logical choice.

I have lived in Louisana and Texas and both are amazing for their own reasons.

Texas: amazing alumni base and alumni pockets. There are Horns EVERYWHERE and then there are some Aggies (Gig'em). But read some stories on Mack's recruiting process...it is amazing how the staff lines up the menu and they basically must verbal commit junior year or the scholly is gone. The latest exception this year was only, well, Malcolm Brown who is the next Earl Campbell. There is so much football talent and boosters at HS and college levels in Texas. It HAS to be #1.

LSU: sick fans and amazing talent in the 25th most populous state in the coutnry. For a state of 4.5 million, it cranks out a disproportionate amount of recruits. Purple and yellow is everywhere in that state and they are totally focused on LSU, there is no other competition.

South Carolina has decent talent, but a lot of it goes out of state. Parts of Georgia get poached by Florida, FSU, and Auburn. However, Florida and Georgia have a national recruiting perspective that some other schools in the area can't compete with.

I would put Wisconsin ahead of Arizona and Arizona St. Oregon and Ok. St is all about money and the facilities.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens with Penn State in the next couple years. Paterno is really starting to show his age and I can't see him coaching for more than a couple years. With the trouble at Ohio State, Penn State could become the dominant team in the Big 10. I'll be interested to see if Penn State promotes from within (Tom Bradley) or tries to go with a big time hire. If Al Golden succeeds at Miami he's a logical choice.

I heard last night on SC Sports talk that Paterno was now doing some of his recruiting via Skype. If this is the case, his time is way past. Penn State needs to do something before its falls off like F$U did in Bowdens last years. Bowden feared he'd croak like the Bear did, but that hasn't been the case. Paterno could actually learn something from Bowden other than how to cheat.

Below is a list compiled by SI on top denfensive linemen produced by state. As you can see there is plenty of talent in SC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/01/28/elite-defensive-linemen/index.html

State-by-state look at production of NFL defensive linemen
State/Territory DLs produced State population % US pop % DL produced
Florida 35 18,537,969 6.04% 11.33%
Texas 26 24,782,302 8.07% 8.41%
California 21 36,961,664 12.04% 6.80%
Georgia 18 9,829,211 3.20% 5.83%
Louisiana 17 4,492,076 1.46% 5.50%
Michigan 13 9,969,727 3.25% 4.21%
South Carolina 13 4,561,242 1.49% 4.21%
Alabama 12 4,708,708 1.53% 3.88%
North Carolina 12 9,380,884 3.06% 3.88%
New Jersey 11 8,707,739 2.84% 3.56%

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...te-defensive-linemen/index.html#ixzz1OmYNGT00

Even with T-Boone, I don't think Okie State should be on that list. First, the problem with all that T-Boone money is that you are beholden to T-Boone and not to the school or the board or alumni. Second, no matter how much money T-Boone throws out, you will always be second fiddle to Oklahoma. But I guess we are talking about the #20 job, so maybe that second point doesn't have much merit.

With Ohio State having the troubles they are, you can basically bump them down the list, making UT and OU 1 and 2. At least there's a list that finally acknowledges it. Maybe the press can quit speculating about "Stoops to [name the team]" whenever a job opens up.

Back