• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sickle Cell Trait potentially a much worse problem than previously believed

Deaconblue

Reaction score
This may be old news, but it also is potentially life threatening for those who have it. Coaches and medical staff need to be aware and monitor for it. I hope Wake and really all schools test incoming athletes for Sickle Cell Trait.

Sickle Cell Trait has its advantages in a malaria infested region, but is potentially deadly for individuals in heavy exercise and athletic activities.

Bleacher Report has an article on it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

Can white people get this in large numbers now? GAME CHANGER.

Can white people get this in large numbers now? GAME CHANGER.

This is a potential issue for anyone of African heritage. That includes a significant number of people who are white. Some people may not even know that they have ancestory from Africa maybe 6 generations (or more) back.

The NCAA is very vigilant about this issue, even on the D-3 level.

is this a medical forum or a sports message board. Must be a slow time during the summer months if there is a sickle cell thread on here. Maybe we can discuss basal cell carcinomas for those of lighter skin or Thalassemia for those of Asian descent.

i assume you mean colleges are vigilant about screening their entire student population, right? Oh, it's just their valuable human commodities? i see

i assume you mean colleges are vigilant about screening their entire student population, right? Oh, it's just their valuable human commodities? i see

Sickle cell trait is only a serious problem when the individual with it engages in heavy exercise, such as sports workouts. Running to class doesn't reach that level of exertion.

That is why testing is much more important for athletes.

FYI, as I recall, the Sickle Cell trait is also found among Mediterranean population groups (and those descended from such), most of which would be considered 'Caucasian'.

FYI, as I recall, the Sickle Cell trait is also found among Mediterranean population groups (and those descended from such), most of which would be considered 'Caucasian'.

Once again the Jews can't catch a break.

Back