• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Signs (Not the Movie)

Are Signs Real

• Of course

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Interpreting a totally meaningless fact

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Might be a sign you interpreted that totally meaningless fact

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Long existential townie diatribe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

DeaconCav06

Dickie Hemric
Reaction score
So, I feel like recently I've heard a lot of "everything happens for a reason" and "it must be a sign". I think there are a couple of options

1) they're a thing
2) total BS, you're just interpreting a totally meaningless fact as a sign
3. You're interpreting a totally meaningless fact which might be a sign

The surrogate does not substitute itself for anything which has somehow pre-existed it. From then on it was probably necessary to begin to think that there was no center, that the center could not be thought in the form of a beingpresent, that the center had no natural locus, that it was not a fixed locus but a function, a sort of non-locus in which an infinite number of sign-substitutions came into play. This moment was that in which language invaded the universal problematic; that in which, in the absence of a center or origin, everything became discourse-provided we can agree on this word-that is to say, when everything became a system where the central signified, the original or transcendental signified, is never absolutely present outside a system of differences. The absence of the transcendental signified extends the domain and the interplay of signification ad infinitum.

i had a dream last night where i was smoking pot and then the radio station this morning played a song called hydroponic .

sign? coincidence?

Without going further Derrida, there are no signs, there is no plan, and still, everything is connected.

I fall in the idea that it is a totally irrelevant fact but there must be some reason that your mind is interpreting it as a sign which is in itself a sign.

looks like we have a bunch of cynics on the board, myself included.

I fall in the idea that it is a totally irrelevant fact but there must be some reason that your mind is interpreting it as a sign which is in itself a sign.

That's how I feel mostly. I interpret lots of things as "signs" but figure it's mainly my brains way of making a decision.

That's how I feel mostly. I interpret lots of things as "signs" but figure it's mainly my brains way of making a decision.

Yeah. I'm waiting on this job offer and the other morning getting ready for work there was an advertisement for buying Jaguars tickets. Then this morning at the gym I was watching Squawk Box and they were interviewing the CEO of CSX from their headquarters in Jacksonville. Then there were a couple of movies that mentions JAX.

Totally irrelevant facts that I likely only picked up on because I'm waiting to hear from these guys.

Townie used to call this the "social phenomenon theory". We were in 9th grade at the time, I think.

I am all about some signs, omens, tokens, charms, harbingers, premonitions, dejavu, knocking on wood, jinxes.

I don't really believe in them, but I do.

Back