• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sleep Apnea?

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
If you snore a lot (and loudly so says the wife), does this necessarily mean you have sleep apnea? Do the strips like band aids that go across your nose reduce snoring?

My Dad has it and uses a machine when he sleeps to keep oxygen flowing. I hope I am not to this point but was curious about any Pit experiences with this sort of thing.

If you snore a lot (and loudly so says the wife), does this necessarily mean you have sleep apnea? Do the strips like band aids that go across your nose reduce snoring?

My Dad has it and uses a machine when he sleeps to keep oxygen flowing. I hope I am not to this point but was curious about any Pit experiences with this sort of thing.

Snoring can also be a symptom of heart disease.

If you snore a lot (and loudly so says the wife), does this necessarily mean you have sleep apnea?
No. Do you wake up tired in the morning, or wake up multiple times during the night? If so, then you'd need to see your Dr about getting a sleep test done to see if you stop breathing while in deep sleep.

I snore like a chainsaw, it's one of my finer qualities.

I do not have apnea and you don't necessarily, either.

I believe I have some version of sleep apnea myself. A few years ago, I started noticing that sometimes if I would fall asleep on my back, I would wake up shortly thereafter with a terrible headache and some dizzyness. This would especially happen during quick afternoon naps or after getting out of bed then laying back down. I thought maybe it had something to do with my neck. Anyway, about 18 months ago, I had an emergency appendectomy and when I woke up, one of the nurses/orderlies/I don't really know who because I was still really out of it mentioned that I may want to get a sleep test done. I think... as I mentioned, it was a bit hazy at that point. There was never any further mention of it by anyone, so I didn't think much more about it, until after I got home and realized that was probably why I had been getting headaches. It only happens when I sleep on my back, and I don't move around when I'm asleep. I will actually wake up and then roll over/shift positions during the night, when necessary. I suppose I should go get tested at some point, but I haven't yet.

In your case, if the only thing that is going on is that you snore, it isn't sleep apnea. In fact, you have to breathe to snore, so it is essentially the opposite. However, if you have some other issues with your sleeping habits, you may want to get checked.

I breath heavily (not quite snoring) due to sinus issues. If my asthma isn't under control, I have sleep apnea. I don't have a solution other than talk to your doctor.

And you know this how?

How do I know I snore? I have been told on a number of occasions that my 'joyful noises' have been the cause of others' sleep troubles. As to how I know I don't have sleep apnea, I have also been told I never have a break in my breathing, nor do I sleep poorly or wake up frequently in the night.

but J loves you anyways!

truth. as I said, it's one of my finer qualities. charming, really.

that is probably why he is dragging his feet on the proposal though

Have a sleep test done if you're tired during the day. They're a pain in the ass (especially since you sometimes have to do them in 2 parts), but worth it if they diagnose you with it. I have a CPAP but am an absolute bum when it comes to using it. When I do, I can maybe get 4 hours in before I get aggravated and take it off in the middle of the night, but those 4 hours are much more solid hours of sleep than they'd be without it and I feel a big difference.

Last edited:
As long as getting up to pee isn't a symptom of sleep apnea, I'm fine.

Pretty sure that is a sign of either prostate cancer or super AIDS. PM tiltdeac for confirmation.

If the snoring is very irregular, and breathing seems to stop for a while, then restart, usually with a really loud snore as your body really tries to suck in oxygen, then you may have sleep apnea, and a mentioned several times before should get tested for it. If the snoring is very even and regular, it is less probable that you have sleep apnea. The wife can probably help you on what your snoring pattern is. Or have it recorded and listen to yourself.

My wife had a sleep test. She snores worse than my childhood bulldog. The test revealed that she does not have apnea. So to answer your question: you can snore very loudly and not have apnea. I would recommend getting a sleep study done. It put my concerns (being the one hearing her snore, then stop snoring and cough or make some crazy noise) and her concerns to rest. Also, my wife's sleep test did not occur in two parts, and the feedback was instantaneous.

Last edited:
As many have said, simple snoring is one end of a spectrum with sleep apnea on the other end. If you are heavier or have a lot of daytime fatigue I'd get the sleep study. Folks that get their apnea fixed are usually quite happy.

Have a sleep test done if you're tired during the day. They're a pain in the ass (especially since you sometimes have to do them in 2 parts), but worth it if they diagnose you with it. I have a CPAP but am an absolute bum when it comes to using it. When I do, I can maybe get 4 hours in before I get aggravated and take it off in the middle of the night, but those 4 hours are much more solid hours of sleep than they'd be without it and I feel a big difference.
You may want to have the air pressure checked. If you go to sleep there should be no reason to wake up unless the pressure is too low and apnea is kicking in, unless your spouse is moving around and waking you up.

Or the awkward feeling that comes with wearing a sleep mask.

I have borderline sleep apnea. The sleep tests are a pain to do, but they're inexpensive and you can do it at home (not like in the past where you had to go sleep at a clinic). After I was diagnosed, my doctor made a few suggestions. One was to lose weight. The other, to my surprise, was to get a new mattress. My mattress was pretty old by that point, so I bought a new foam mattress. I also lost fifteen pounds and my sleep drastically improved with the combination of those two. My wife says I don't snore any longer.

Back