• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smart scheduling in the NET era

Yeah I 100% agree with your takes on scheduling better to do well in the system as it's set up.

We kinda half-heartedly did it this year, as we dropped a lot of the 300+ KP teams, and got bad luck with LSU sucking (and also losing on a neutral court). The tourney we played in was awful and only presented us with losing propositions unless we blew both teams out. La Salle and Georgetown sucked, and LMU was actually decent, but we lost.

It's not a bad idea honestly. Get a top 10 schedule, go like 11-9/12-8 in the ACC, and get in at like 18-13. Not a large margin of error, but if you've got the team to do it then it could work.

The issue is we don't really know what kind of team we have until the portal is over, and at that point the schedule is already made. If you whiff on a lot of talent in the portal then you're just going to get smoked in the non-con and conference play won't matter.

Forbes said last summer that it is hard to get good teams to come to the Joel.

I don't know how hard he means, and how true it is, but presumably he tried to do better than @Rutgers and vs. UGA for this past year, and could not get it done.

I know Brownell complained that in his decade plus playing in the Big Ten Challenge, they never once got IU or Purdue. I did not fact check that but it seems Clemson probably "deserved" that at least once.

We should just not lose any games. That would surely help, but I guess it’s possible if you don’t go undefeated against the right teams or by the right margin you could still be left out in this era.

It's not a bad idea honestly. Get a top 10 schedule, go like 11-9/12-8 in the ACC, and get in at like 18-13. Not a large margin of error, but if you've got the team to do it then it could work.

The issue is we don't really know what kind of team we have until the portal is over, and at that point the schedule is already made. If you whiff on a lot of talent in the portal then you're just going to get smoked in the non-con and conference play won't matter.

Sounds like what mich st did this season.

Gonzaga does it every year, and Bama also did it (top 5 OOC SOS). Michigan State was 37th in OOC SOS.

Oregon is an interesting case - they went 19-14 (12-8) with the 21st overall schedule and 29th non-con, and somehow missed the tournament because they went 2-9 vs. Q1 games. That's probably a horror story of missing the tourney even when you take that route. Finished 47th in the NET.

We should just not lose any games. That would surely help, but I guess it’s possible if you don’t go undefeated against the right teams or by the right margin you could still be left out in this era.

Right. So just play a tough schedule. Seems like playing MWC teams could help do the trick as well.

Scheduling tough isn't that difficult, but "play Virginia-style" when you're not set up to run their specialized defense isn't going to help you cover the spread.

Scheduling tough isn't that difficult, but "play Virginia-style" when you're not set up to run their specialized defense isn't going to help you cover the spread.
"Virginia style" may also refer to slow tempo on offense so number of possessions and total score are lower, thus keeping difference small.

To really make that work, you need to beat weak teams by a bunch and put up a big number of points.

Yeah I mean on either side of the ball, I don't think that's a mindset you just tap into and efficiently change the pace of play

My plan is for us to get good enough that we don't have to worry about whether or not our OOC games fall under Q1 or Q2...

I just want us to kick the shit out of most of the teams we play, pile up wins, and cut down nets.

When I'm arguing about metrics, I want it to be about whether or not we truly deserved that #1 seed.

as much as the NET rating does matter and we should be smart about scheduling... we didn't make the tournament in 2021 because we lost to an awful BC team in the tournament and we didn't make anything this year because we lost 4 out of our last 5 regular season games

i think the scheduling/NET thing was more of an issue last year, and this year we just weren't good enough when it mattered

My plan is for us to get good enough that we don't have to worry about whether or not our OOC games fall under Q1 or Q2...

I just want us to kick the shit out of most of the teams we play, pile up wins, and cut down nets.

When I'm arguing about metrics, I want it to be about whether or not we truly deserved that #1 seed.

My plan is also for Forbes to get the next Tim Duncan or Chris Paul or to have four guys who play over a decade in the NBA.

But seriously, I want to see Wake play a tougher schedule because that’s more fun for the fans, especially the home games.

can we just exclusively play the MWC other than whatever conference challenge and tournament we're in?

I’ll just add that we could use some non-regional games in alumni heavy areas to engage alums and hopefully bring in NIL. I know some of you hate this, but we always get a very enthused group at the BC games. We could use more Northeast city games, DC games, etc. I can barely engage my friends on Wake basketball and they went to school at the height of Wake basketball. We really need to engage alums with money outside of NC.

and to those saying "just win games"

yeah, I said that. We should win games. And we should maximize our chances within the system. Right now we are doing neither.
Losing to the bottom SEC team in LSU certainly hurt. Giving up a huge lead in the final 90 sec to lose to non-tourney Loyola Marymount (led 65-57 with 1:31 to play in regulation.) But we also had to have last second heroics to beat Appy, Utah Valley St and lowly GT at home. Just need to play a lot better, especially in Nov/Dec.

Back