• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Breaks from Work

Our company health plan does not require a physical. However, there is an optional wellness program in which you can enroll that does require a checkup every 6-12 months and makes you eligible for a discounted rate. Depending on your diet, weight, smoking status, progress, etc. you are put into "phases" which have increasingly large discounts. Pretty good deal for the 90lb weaklings like me who don't smoke, but it offers some financial incentive for smokers to quit and overweight employees to hit the gym.

As an employer would you rather have a healthy employee who lives 20-30 years off of the company pension after retirement or a obese-smoker who croaks suddenly of a heart attack 5-10 years after retirement. In some way the smokers may be a better long term investment. ;)

This is a great post. I actually changed my company to a smoke-free environment and we do not hire anyone who smokes. Based on all the findings, smokers are less productive and are sick more often than non-smoking employees (on average). And I can't tell you the cost savings for our health benefits. To the person who asked about making people take physicals to determine what type of coverage they get - the answer is no. In most business environments, everyone gets the same coverage and there is no issue with "pre-existing conditions". However, based on what the insurance provider has to pay for your employees, your premiums can go up as a company (but are drastically cheaper for people with pre-existing conditions) - we had two female employees (out of a company of 50) that had babies last year, both of the pregnancies were abnormal, which included long stays in hospitals, extended stays for the babies (and mothers) and tests. This year our premiums jumped by about 35% - but still less than trying to get the same coverage on your own.

Honest question, can you legally do that?

i regularly go outside 2-3 times a day just to walk or let the sun hit my face. i'm more productive if i do that than if i'm nodding off in front of a computer.

Our company health plan does not require a physical. However, there is an optional wellness program in which you can enroll that does require a checkup every 6-12 months and makes you eligible for a discounted rate. Depending on your diet, weight, smoking status, progress, etc. you are put into "phases" which have increasingly large discounts. Pretty good deal for the 90lb weaklings like me who don't smoke, but it offers some financial incentive for smokers to quit and overweight employees to hit the gym.

this is kind of how many company does it. every summer, they get people to come in and run some tests. just basic stuff like cholesterol, blood pressure, height, weight, etc. then they test for whether or not you're a smoker. smokers pay a LOT more in premiums.

we also have a company gym, but it's not free. they take it straight out of your paycheck if you join it. it's actually cheaper for me to be on a Y family plan (plus then i get access to a pool), so i am not a member at the company gym.

As an employer would you rather have a healthy employee who lives 20-30 years off of the company pension after retirement or a obese-smoker who croaks suddenly of a heart attack 5-10 years after retirement. In some way the smokers may be a better long term investment. ;)

I'd like to see the numbers on this. I've heard this or a similar argument before. Unfortunately pension is on its way out, and smokers further disadvantage those companies that don't offer that benefit.

this is kind of how many company does it. every summer, they get people to come in and run some tests. just basic stuff like cholesterol, blood pressure, height, weight, etc. then they test for whether or not you're a smoker. smokers pay a LOT more in premiums.

we also have a company gym, but it's not free. they take it straight out of your paycheck if you join it. it's actually cheaper for me to be on a Y family plan (plus then i get access to a pool), so i am not a member at the company gym.

Our wellness program requires us to get blood work every two years, I think.

Smokers do pay more in premiums, but they instead phrase it as receiving no discount. They get the same (nonexistent) discount as those who don't enroll in the wellness program, or those who do but are clearly overweight and not making any effort.

The good thing is, lesser discounts are extended to people who are making an effort to get more healthy even if they're not exactly the most fit.

Received a negrep saying "get a real job"-unsigned. Found this quite funny. Also, "your douchiness stays strong"-unsigned. Got to love message board pansies. But it helps me reach my goal of -100!

Scotts Miracle Gro had a case dismissed by a federal court after being sued by a guy who was fired who failed his drug test when it came positive for nicotine. The company, and I think GE and Abbott Laboratories too, has had a ban on indoor and outdoor smoking during work hours for quite some time now.

friends i know that worked in restaurants always bitch about smokers, and that only smokers get breaks so they all smoke. Although, one friend told me this story about a large african american young lady she waited with, and when the smokers would take breaks she would say "I'm taking a candy break." And she would go outside and just eat candy for like 10 minutes and then come back in.

Yes - smokers are not a protected class. Would be the same as saying we are a drug free environment and don't hire drug users. While cigarettes are legal, you do not have legal rights as a smoker.

There have been cases where people said they were discriminated against as smokers in a company (some where they weren't smokers) - but that is a different matter.

You can't have a company that doesn't hire individuals based on race, political opinion, age, disabilities (unless it hinders their ability to do the job), lack of a car (honestly, you can ask a person if they have reliable transportation, but you cannot ask if they have a vehicle).

Yes - smokers are not a protected class. Would be the same as saying we are a drug free environment and don't hire drug users. While cigarettes are legal, you do not have legal rights as a smoker.

There have been cases where people said they were discriminated against as smokers in a company (some where they weren't smokers) - but that is a different matter.

You can't have a company that doesn't hire individuals based on race, political opinion, age, disabilities (unless it hinders their ability to do the job), lack of a car (honestly, you can ask a person if they have reliable transportation, but you cannot ask if they have a vehicle).

Interesting. So nobody can drink or take prescription meds?

Interesting. So nobody can drink or take prescription meds?

Drug free environment refers to illegal drugs. There is no problem with drinkers, unless it was on the job - drinkers are not a protected class, even though they should be. But, like most organizations, if you get a DUI, you will probably get fired.

Drug free environment refers to illegal drugs. There is no problem with drinkers, unless it was on the job - drinkers are not a protected class, even though they should be. But, like most organizations, if you get a DUI, you will probably get fired.

I appreciate the non-confrontational discuss btw.

Another question, does someone who drinks 5 cups of coffee a day get a pass? Caffeine is a legal drug and increases multiple health risks.

my current company charges higher premiums for smokers.

at a previous company (in another department) a friend of mine had two co-workers go to the manager to complain that he was taking an hour for lunch every day and they did not think it was fair. she responded with, "so you take 4-5 smoke breaks per day. 10-15 minutes each?" neither woman said a word. they both just stood up and left.

This reminds me of the thread on sitting for hours a day... Would it not be healthier to grant a small "walk break" to non smokers? I dont work in an office, but i dont see how they can tell you you cant take break when smokers take one. I can go stand outside with a cigarette in my hand and say im taking a break.
Smoking is a habit that one chooses, not something you are born with like skin color, so it would be difficult to make it a protected class.

This reminds me of the thread on sitting for hours a day... Would it not be healthier to grant a small "walk break" to non smokers? I dont work in an office, but i dont see how they can tell you you cant take break when smokers take one. I can go stand outside with a cigarette in my hand and say im taking a break.
Smoking is a habit that one chooses, not something you are born with like skin color, so it would be difficult to make it a protected class.

All companies I have ever worked at have been very lenient about letting workers get up and move around and take walks or breaks if needed - but I had a friend who worked for a company that monitored bathroom breaks - that's ridiculous. Any boss who is worth a damn would be fine - it's the same reason why most classes in school are 50 minutes long, the human brain can only focus on one thing for so long without breaks before it starts to become less productive.

About coffee, no issues with coffee/caffeine right now - but I think it is an issue with caffeine coming out as an addictive drug and the office environment promoting coffee drinkers. Many companies offer free coffee as a "perk" - I know I enjoy it, but once it starts to become a major health issue (i.e. healthcare companies start paying out the nose for treatment) it will become a major issue. Same thing with obesity, many companies now have wellness plans that if you join will give you a break out your healthcare costs, even though it isn't possible for some people to take part (disabilities or physically unable) - but obesity is a protected class, you were born obese - granted you can claim you were genetically pre-disposed (that's my claim). Its all about big healthcare, companies are trying to reduce their healthcare costs because they are rampant right now, even with Obama's plan (which I will save my criticism for the politics board) are continuing to rise - anything a company can do to lower the rates they will. If that means not allowing smokers (me), or getting fatty outta the desk - they will do it.

All companies I have ever worked at have been very lenient about letting workers get up and move around and take walks or breaks if needed - but I had a friend who worked for a company that monitored bathroom breaks - that's ridiculous. Any boss who is worth a damn would be fine - it's the same reason why most classes in school are 50 minutes long, the human brain can only focus on one thing for so long without breaks before it starts to become less productive.

About coffee, no issues with coffee/caffeine right now - but I think it is an issue with caffeine coming out as an addictive drug and the office environment promoting coffee drinkers. Many companies offer free coffee as a "perk" - I know I enjoy it, but once it starts to become a major health issue (i.e. healthcare companies start paying out the nose for treatment) it will become a major issue. Same thing with obesity, many companies now have wellness plans that if you join will give you a break out your healthcare costs, even though it isn't possible for some people to take part (disabilities or physically unable) - but obesity is a protected class, you were born obese - granted you can claim you were genetically pre-disposed (that's my claim). Its all about big healthcare, companies are trying to reduce their healthcare costs because they are rampant right now, even with Obama's plan (which I will save my criticism for the politics board) are continuing to rise - anything a company can do to lower the rates they will. If that means not allowing smokers (me), or getting fatty outta the desk - they will do it.

Really? You seem like a smart guy and there are certainly precursors, but now we're getting into hiring practices based on the employees' parents' qualifications.

Really? You seem like a smart guy and there are certainly precursors, but now we're getting into hiring practices based on the employees' parents' qualifications.

That was supposed to say "weren't" - and agreed, obesity is a protected class so I cannot not hire someone because they are too fat (or too skinny or to average).

Learning smokers are not a protected class (are fat people?) has made my day. And I had one hell of a headache before, so thanks!

I'm not about to hire and work around anyone who smells like shit all the time if I can help it.

And it pisses me off that health insurance rates keep going up due to the smokers and fat people. (obviously I know there's more to it, they're just a simple scapegoat).

Back