• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, did anyone go to this today? "Should Football Be Banned?"

WinkinDeac

Reaction score
From the Law School's Web site:

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.-- The Wake Forest University School of Law Sports and Entertainment Law Society (SELS) will host a sports law panel that will ask the question, "Should Football Be Banned?," from 5-6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 17, in the Worrell Professional Center, Room 1302.

Couldn't make it myself.

Football is going to be in Red States only by 2030.

"Professor Tim Davis will moderate a panel discussion of various sports law issues including widely publicized incidents of domestic violence, long-term effects of player concussions, whether players are more prone to violent behavior because of the nature of football, and how these issues affect the sports law industry."

Why is this a law school discussion? Other than that law students would rather talk about Ray Rice than go to moot court practice (and I don't blame them for that at all). #1 and #3 seem like topics for a sociologist, and #2 for a neurobiologist.

"Professor Tim Davis will moderate a panel discussion of various sports law issues including widely publicized incidents of domestic violence, long-term effects of player concussions, whether players are more prone to violent behavior because of the nature of football, and how these issues affect the sports law industry."

Why is this a law school discussion? Other than that law students would rather talk about Ray Rice than go to moot court practice (and I don't blame them for that at all). #1 and #3 seem like topics for a sociologist, and #2 for a neurobiologist.

I doubt the NFL or any other football organization is changing much just on the merits of since. Litigation has been moving this issue.

As I said, I didn't go. I don't think FB should be banned and I doubt that was the panel's ultimate conclusion. But as I've said in more that one previous thread, I do think it's pretty much at its peak right now and will slowly begin to ebb in popularity as parents encourage their kids to look at other sports. Go just may have a point there.

We talked about this a lot in my sports law class as well. I think that it's a law school discussion because the premise is "how these issues affect the sports law industry."

We talked about this a lot in my sports law class as well. I think that it's a law school discussion because the premise is "how these issues affect the sports law industry."

And the "who can we sue next industry."

Malcolm Gladwell interview:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-13/malcolm-gladwell-football-is-a-moral-abomination-.html

"We're not just talking about people limping at the age of 50. We're talking about brain injuries that are causing horrible, protracted, premature death,” Gladwell told Chang, picking up a theme he first explored in a 2009 article for The New Yorker which likened football to dogfighting. “This…is appalling. Can you point to another industry in America which, in the course of doing business, maims a third of its employees?”

One of my buddies is running a prospective study funded by the NFL in which he is longitudinally screening several dozen players for the presence of plasma biomarkers indicative of central injury after each game. He's finding evidence of injury in about 25% of all players that step on the field. This study is properly controlled and consistent with other labs; these data are indicative of traumatic brain injuries. Keep in mind, the vast majority of these players are not clinically diagnosed as concussed.

This will have significant legal and clinical implications. I'm not sure how the NFL (and NCAA) will get around this problem.

That's interesting stuff, 93. I wonder if the NFL will adopt the type of camera technology used in the NBA to track player movement and collisions and link them to post game bio markers. Perhaps steps could be taken to better protect players from the type of contact associated with these injuries.

Wake Forest Magazine is posting this Time article because it involves Wake researchers.

http://time.com/3611146/football-head-impacts-can-cause-brain-changes-even-without-concussion/

In fact, researchers from Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C., say some high school football players in the study exhibited measurable brain changes after a single season of play, even in the absence of concussion.

The Wake Forest team, lead by Dr. Christopher Whitlow, focused on youth players, a group that until now had been widely overlooked in the research into the effects of the repetitive head impacts associated with a typical season of football. “For every one NFL player, there are 2,000 youth players. That’s close to four million youth players and the vast majority of research on impact-related brain injuries has been on the college and professional level,” says Dr. Whitlow, noting that two-thirds of head impacts occur in practice sessions, not games.

I think the gd tv timeout ought to be banned. Makes watching live college football almost unbearable.

That's interesting stuff, 93. I wonder if the NFL will adopt the type of camera technology used in the NBA to track player movement and collisions and link them to post game bio markers. Perhaps steps could be taken to better protect players from the type of contact associated with these injuries.

I'm sure the preliminary data alone was enough to trigger the development of additional monitoring procedures. For example, helmet mounted accelerometers are in testing to identify players that have suffered a concussive event in real-time for immediate clinical evaluation.

As far as additional protective measures- I'm not sure what more can be done to mitigate the physiological effects of rapid cranial acceleration/deceleration without changing how the game is played. The next couple of years will be interesting in the NFL and college...

Interesting. I think it will be a slow process of change. The same process we've been seeing.

Back