• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So much for religious freedom

WFFaithful

Reaction score
TN bigots can't openly deny blacks their rights. So they attack Muslims.

Christians need to realize that in an increasingly secular world, any efforts to deny the rights of Muslims to practice their religion may be precedent for efforts to deny us our rights.

I find this ridiculous, and an offense against Muslims' freedom of religion and the guaranteed rights of all Americabs. But how many on my side now would spread lies about Poles allegedely killing Jews. Should they not be shouted down and exiled from this forum for lies and their lie based intolerance?

so saying Islam isn't a religion isn't bigoted to you?

Not allowing a house of faith that has been there peacefully for three decades to expand because of their faith isn't bigotry to you?

I find this ridiculous, and an offense against Muslims' freedom of religion and the guaranteed rights of all Americabs. But how many on my side now would spread lies about Poles allegedely killing Jews. Should they not be shouted down and exiled from this forum for lies and their lie based intolerance?

What the fuck are you talking about?

I mostly agree with RJ (twice in one week, the world is ending). First, I read a summary of the ruling in which the judge ruled that the open meetings laws and notice requirements weren't complied with and I thought, "Oh, well that seems reasonable."

Then I read some of the other materials from the case including the Plaintiff's argument that Muslims weren't entitled to First Amendment protections because its not a "real religion" (dismissed by the judge) and the Plaintiff's attorney calling the continued construction of the mosque "Sharia Law" and my head assploded.

If you read the Judge's opinion, its pretty clear he wants a higher court and/or the legislature to get involved and render an opinion and/or a new set of guidelines on the matter one way or the other, but its tough to tell whether or not its because he truly believes his hands are tied or whether he just doesn't want to piss off the portion of his county's population that is so fired up on this issue.

I mostly agree with RJ (twice in one week, the world is ending).

Ditto. Bigotry gets throw around a lot, but I think it definitely fits this situation. I wonder how much trouble the mega Churches in TN have when they want to expand.

Christians need to realize that in an increasingly secular world, any efforts to deny the rights of Muslims to practice their religion may be precedent for efforts to deny us our rights.

Yep. The rubber meets the road for religious freedom when protecting the freedoms of minority religions, especially those that aren't particularly popular or accepted (early Mormonism, Scientology, etc.). This is a much more substantial challenge, I find at least, for conservative Christians than the battle between Christianity and secularization. Ironically, early Southern Baptists would have probably been ardent supporters of religious freedom for Muslim Americans.

Yeah, I'd hate to see the Muslim world start denying Christians the right to practice their religion.

That's simply not the conversation though, is it? It's not about free exercise of religion in America. Where have Muslim Americans denied Christians free exercise of their Religion using legislation or the courts?

That's simply not the conversation though, is it? It's not about free exercise of religion in America. Where have Muslim Americans denied Christians free exercise of their Religion using legislation or the courts?

Totally agree with you. PH, however, said "in an increasingly secular world". Not in an increasingly secular US.

I feel like we live in the 1950's. Only difference is that instead of the Godless communists we have the Muslims who worship the wrong God and are all terrorists to irrationally fear.

Totally agree with you. PH, however, said "in an increasingly secular world". Not in an increasingly secular US.

I see your point. The secular part is debatable, but this situation certainly isn't helping the cause of Christians abroad.

Americabs. I like that. Might be a good band name. Is that an amalgam of 'American' and 'Arab'? never heard it before

Where is the outrage from conservatives over this issue who demand the right to free worship anywhere they please? Fox news gets all up in arms when a local town council changes a "Christmas celebration" to a "Holiday celebration" but when attempts are made to deny a Muslim a place to worship... radio silence.

Back