• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So Obamacare is going well.

The mandate is to get the deadbeats, etc paying for their own health care, skins in the game so to speak.

The mandate is to make sure my heart operation costs four times as much while deadbeats fuck freely with free penis erection pills.

Force productive citizens to subsidize healthcare for deadbeats, illegal aliens, and other assorted malcontents, while paying higher premiums for their own healthcare, which is already overpriced?

And here we see the typical conservative's understanding of the mandate.

and I love how now the rub for the so-called conservatives is that we need to fix healthcare dramatically but that this bill sucks and is possibly unconstitutional.

three years ago it was 'health care is fine, if you can't afford it then you are a loser who needs to work harder' and the only government solutions stomachable were tort reform and inter-state insurance plans.

18 years ago it was the mandate

Making insurance MORE expensive and REQUIRING everyone to give money to FOR-PROFIT insurance companies was a good idea? LOLThank God this piece of crap is going to be struck down. Back to the drawing board, Democrat insurance industry pawns. I can't believe people fall for this feel-good crap.

The law also capped for profit insurers profits, FWIW, and also introduced a very rigorous rate review and approval process. In addition, the law provided for 3 risk adjustment mechanisms, 2 that last for 3 years and one this is permanent, to help mitigate the degree of risk exposure insurers are expected to see. Most actuaries acknowledge that these 3 programs are severely inadequate to protect against significant financial losses coming, even with the mandate. The products insurers sell are also highly regulated under the new law as are where and how they can be sold. Its no picnic in the real world.

I’m not arguing for or against the law, just noting that it’s not a financial jack pot for insurers. In fact, it’s quite the opposite and most insurers, net of the risk adjusters, are preparing to lose a lot of money in the short term (2014-2018) before they level off and get normal risk returns, 3% to 5%.

Note that insurer stocks are going UP as a result of this week's proceedings.

And here we see the typical conservative's understanding of the mandate.

What's wrong about it? I'm sorry I don't share your sense of responsibility to people who I don't even know. I guess I am a meanie.

What's wrong about it? I'm sorry I don't share your sense of responsibility to people who I don't even know. I guess I am a meanie.

You can't see the forest for the trees, can you sport? Its about making those people you don't even know pay into the system instead of getting the care free from you like they do now.

You can't see the forest for the trees, can you sport? Its about making those people you don't even know pay into the system instead of getting the care free from you like they do now.

It's an issue of which system costs me more. Obamacare takes a bigger cut from my paycheck. The people who don't pay should be denied service.

If they want healthcare, they should pay for it (like I do).

It's an issue of which system costs me more. Obamacare takes a bigger cut from my paycheck. The people who don't pay should be denied service.

A bigger cut from your paycheck? please explain. Have your premiums not gone up every year since you bought your plan? How much more would Obamacare cause them to rise?

and the uninsured should be left on the street to die? little kids and old ladies dying on the sidewalk in front of the hospital? mmkay

Remind me. Who are the 2%?

26.3 million Americans who are currently uninsured will be required to newly obtain coverage or pay a fine. In this group, 8.1 million people will be eligible to receive free or close-to-free insurance through Medicaid or CHIP and can avoid the mandate penalties if they do so; hence our finding that 18.2 million Americans (6 percent of the total population, 7 percent of the nonelderly population) will be required to newly
Researchers find small number of people will be affected by mandate, but large benefit for population and stability
of insurance markets.
purchase coverage or face a penalty. Of that 18.2 million, 10.9 million people will be eligible to receive subsidies toward private insurance premiums in the newly established health insurance exchanges, but will have to make partial contributions toward their coverage. About 7.3 million people—2 percent of the total population (3 percent of the population under age 65)—are not offered any financial assistance under the ACA and will be subject to penalties if they do not obtain coverage.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/IndividualMandate.pdf

YES! And if it takes more from my paycheck, I can't support charity as much. Get the apparatchiks out of my paycheck.

It doesn't take more form your paycheck.

What am I doing? It's no use with him.

YES! And if it takes more from my paycheck, I can't support charity as much. Get the apparatchiks out of my paycheck.

I don't support charity at all and I am not afraid to admit it. I'm not one of those libertarian fools who believes the free market and charity will take care of the lazy. I just don't care. As soon as we stop holding their hands, they'll start taking care of themselves.

The mandate is to make sure my heart operation costs four times as much while deadbeats fuck freely with free penis erection pills.

This is not accurate. The mandate may actually cause your premiums to go down, although the law itself will cost a buttload to implement and enforce. But those costs are a different issue entirely. I do know there are some economists who used to believe the mandate would drive costs down who now predict costs will actually go up. But, at least in theory, more people forced to buy healthcare should keep costs contained.

The real disaster will be if the court just guts the mandate and keeps the rest of the law. That would result in big time cost increases because insurers would still have to cover everyone but would not have the pool of added healthy people to plug into their little actuarial tables.

The law also capped for profit insurers profits, FWIW, and also introduced a very rigorous rate review and approval process. In addition, the law provided for 3 risk adjustment mechanisms, 2 that last for 3 years and one this is permanent, to help mitigate the degree of risk exposure insurers are expected to see. Most actuaries acknowledge that these 3 programs are severely inadequate to protect against significant financial losses coming, even with the mandate. The products insurers sell are also highly regulated under the new law as are where and how they can be sold. Its no picnic in the real world.

I’m not arguing for or against the law, just noting that it’s not a financial jack pot for insurers. In fact, it’s quite the opposite and most insurers, net of the risk adjusters, are preparing to lose a lot of money in the short term (2014-2018) before they level off and get normal risk returns, 3% to 5%.

Note that insurer stocks are going UP as a result of this week's proceedings.

Interesting info.

I don't support charity at all and I am not afraid to admit it. I'm not one of those libertarian fools who believes the free market and charity will take care of the lazy. I just don't care. As soon as we stop holding their hands, they'll start taking care of themselves.

Father Flanagan?

Back