• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, what dirt does Snowden still have?

"Snowden has enough information to cause more damage to the US government in a minute alone than anyone else has ever had in the history of the United States," he told the paper in an interview published on Saturday.
"But that's not his goal," said Greenwald, who published a series of stories in Britain's Guardian newspaper based on top-secret documents about sweeping US surveillance programmes that were leaked by Snowden.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...-to-release-most-damaging-data/#ixzz2Z1VSra9h

So the alarmists were right and we do need to hunt this guy down.

Kitchin, of course we do and so do they. It would be news if that wasn't going on. Decades ago we learned how pervasive bugs were in our embassy in Moscow and in other places.

What would be treason is to out our asset/moles in other countries. There would be nothing heroic about him doing that.

In a recent interview with La Nacion Greenwald said this:

Snowden has stashed documents in physical locations around the world that reveal in detail a U.S. spying program carried out against Latin America. He said that one U.S. telecom corporation in particular is facilitating U.S. spying in the region, but declined to say which one.

Don't think Greenwald is helping Snowden too much anymore. There's roughly a 20% gap between people who believe Snowden is a whistle blower rather than a traitor. Why overplay your hand about how much more damage Snowden could do? Was no shock that the US spies on other countries, including allies. If the US has fucked over its allies so much, why would any of them deny airspace to Snowden to appease the US?

If he's that, he's committing treason.

There's a huge difference between saying there should be more stringent rules on how and form whom data should be mined and kept and stealing national security data.

If he had stopped at the former, he'd be a hero. By doing the latter he's a traitor.

Sometimes you don't want to go full martyr. If I'm him you better believe I'm interested in having insurance so I can live out my life on some South American beach.

All of Moon's dick pics.

Once those are released.. the power structure of the nation will come crashing down.

So the alarmists were right and we do need to hunt this guy down.

If he's spread the documents around as a sort of "insurance policy", hunting him down might be a terrible option. Kill him and all the documents that could seriously damage the US government and NSA are made public. Unless you can identify and kill everyone else that has access to those documents. So far all that's been released has been vetted by news organizations- they've blacked out names of other NSA programs and haven't released info on things that they feel would harm US security. Hunt Snowden down and you could end up with a mass dump of the documents on the internet. All of it. Names of agents, other classified programs, etc. I don't think the US government knows what all he has. Instead of trying to make an example out of him to warn other whistleblowers (and 55% of Americans consider him a whistleblower, only 34% view him as a traitor), http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/07/10/poll-most-see-snowden-as-whistleblower-not-traitor/ the governments best option might be to call a truce and give him safe passage to a country like Iceland. Or they could hunt him down and see what happens.

Do you support him put US assets at risk and him using the deaths releasing this data will cause as a legitimate "insurance 'policy"?

It's one thing to come out and this wrong. That's heroic.

Using documents one stole that will cause the deaths of others to protect oneself makes that person scum.

No way we haven't walked a large magnet or an EMP into the Moscow terminal he's hiding in, and his physical stashes would be easy enough to find if they exist.

If he's spread the documents around as a sort of "insurance policy", hunting him down might be a terrible option. Kill him and all the documents that could seriously damage the US government and NSA are made public. Unless you can identify and kill everyone else that has access to those documents. So far all that's been released has been vetted by news organizations- they've blacked out names of other NSA programs and haven't released info on things that they feel would harm US security. Hunt Snowden down and you could end up with a mass dump of the documents on the internet. All of it. Names of agents, other classified programs, etc. I don't think the US government knows what all he has. Instead of trying to make an example out of him to warn other whistleblowers (and 55% of Americans consider him a whistleblower, only 34% view him as a traitor), http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/07/10/poll-most-see-snowden-as-whistleblower-not-traitor/ the governments best option might be to call a truce and give him safe passage to a country like Iceland. Or they could hunt him down and see what happens.

If that's all true, how do the "negotiations" go? If Snowden's hidden stuff with WikiLeaks, how does the US know there aren't copies that will be divulged later, not by Snowden but by third parties? What guarantee does the US have that Snowden isn't holding something back? What's the statue of limitations for Snowden's information? If he dies of natural causes in 3 years after receiving safe passage is there still a document dump?

Do you support him put US assets at risk and him using the deaths releasing this data will cause as a legitimate "insurance 'policy"?

It's one thing to come out and this wrong. That's heroic.

Using documents one stole that will cause the deaths of others to protect oneself makes that person scum.
So far no one has been put at risk and no one has died- the American public has been shown they've been lied to though.

"It's one thing to come out and this wrong. That's heroic."
I don't know what you're trying to say.

"Using documents one stole that will cause the deaths of others to protect oneself makes that person scum."
If he doesn't want to end up tortured and incommunicado I can understand why he would want to have an "insurance policy". Not saying I like it, but I'm not in his shoes- I don't think it diminishes the importance of the leaks up until this point. You seem to want to make the story about Snowden and minimize the significance of the leaks- much of the media and defenders of these programs and the Administration seem to have taken a similar approach. For me, what's most important is what the documents reveal in regards to what our government has been up to. Finally, we don't know what the remaining documents, those that make up the "insurance policy", are. Maybe they will put people at risk. Or maybe they'll just destroy the reputation of the US government.

If that's all true, how do the "negotiations" go? If Snowden's hidden stuff with WikiLeaks, how does the US know there aren't copies that will be divulged later, not by Snowden but by third parties? What guarantee does the US have that Snowden isn't holding something back? What's the statue of limitations for Snowden's information? If he dies of natural causes in 3 years after receiving safe passage is there still a document dump?
I don't know if it's all true, I was just speculating based on what I've read. You'd have to ask Snowden. But if he's killed or arrested I think the odds of a massive document dump are high.

Had he outlined the problems in the US and not gone on his odyssey, he wouldn't have needed insurance.

There are only so many places to get the intel. If it goes public, the origins of them are not that difficult for the insiders to figure out.

If you don't think he's had to give intel to China and Russia, you are being incredibly naive. They would not put their asses on the line and not get anything.

The story has been about Snowden and not the problems ever since he went to Hong Kong and then to Russia. He's also made the story about himself in working with Wikileaks and with the countries that he has been in contact with for asylum.

He planned this entire fiasco from before got his job. If it was about fixing a problem, he had a story that the world would have loved and protected him.

He's acting like a vigilante and a traitor. his "insurance" prove it.

I don't know if it's all true, I was just speculating based on what I've read. You'd have to ask Snowden. But if he's killed or arrested I think the odds of a massive document dump are high.

The odds we have a massive document dump prepared to counteract his little shell game are also high.

Had he outlined the problems in the US and not gone on his odyssey, he wouldn't have needed insurance.

There are only so many places to get the intel. If it goes public, the origins of them are not that difficult for the insiders to figure out.

If you don't think he's had to give intel to China and Russia, you are being incredibly naive. They would not put their asses on the line and not get anything.

The story has been about Snowden and not the problems ever since he went to Hong Kong and then to Russia. He's also made the story about himself in working with Wikileaks and with the countries that he has been in contact with for asylum.

He planned this entire fiasco from before got his job. If it was about fixing a problem, he had a story that the world would have loved and protected him.

He's acting like a vigilante and a traitor. his "insurance" prove it.

BS. He's just being smart. If he hadn't fled and asked for asylum, he'd be sitting in a dark hole in some military prison right now.

The Obama administrative has proven time and again how vindictive it can be. This isn't the Pentagon-Papers-era anymore.

Back