• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So what DO Republicans believe in?

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
A large number of members of the Republican Party don't believe in evolution, global warming, gay marriage, abortion, and now the crisis caused by a failure to raise the debt ceiling. So what exactly is it that Republicans do believe in? I think I could tell them all that tomorrow the sun would rise and half the GOP would tell me that they think this is "overstated" and "likely not true."

cash_29.jpg

And that GAYBUTTSEX is far too accepted, of course.

To be fair you have no evidence that the sun is going to rise tomorrow but for the fact that it has risen every other day. That isn't proof it will rise tomorrow.

#philosophymajor

To be fair you have no evidence that the sun is going to rise tomorrow but for the fact that it has risen every other day. That isn't proof it will rise tomorrow.

#philosophymajor

You understand how the solar system works, right?

#philosophymajor

I actually think this is a pretty valid shot at what they would say haha.

I understand how the solar system works historically. Based on that I can project with reasonable certainty the sun will rise tomorrow. But I cannot unequivocally say that the sun will rise tomorrow because I have no evidence that is true except for historical data.

I understand how the solar system works historically. Based on that I can project with reasonable certainty the sun will rise tomorrow. But I cannot unequivocally say that the sun will rise tomorrow because I have no evidence that is true except for historical data.

This is the point where a bill would be introduced banning the use of historical data for predicting future events. Throw some anti-abortion language in there, too.

A large number of members of the Republican Party don't believe in evolution, global warming, gay marriage, abortion, and now the crisis caused by a failure to raise the debt ceiling. So what exactly is it that Republicans do believe in? I think I could tell them all that tomorrow the sun would rise and half the GOP would tell me that they think this is "overstated" and "likely not true."

Creationism (or Theistic evolution), that global warming is a myth, that marriage should be defined as the unity of a man and a woman, and that unborn children have rights? Just a guess.

Creationism (or Theistic evolution), that global warming is a myth, that marriage should be defined as the unity of a man and a woman, and that unborn children have rights? Just a guess.

this and that poor people are poor on purpose because it's easy and fun to get free shit from the government

As a philosophy major, you should recognize too that the semantics here are important. The sun isn't really rising at all, we're orbiting it and also spinning on our own axis, and it's only our perception and location on the Earth that allows us sunrises and sunsets. Furthermore, since we tie our day to a solar calendar, we are presupposing that in order for there to be a "tomorrow," the sun must rise and fall "on schedule" so to speak. There is a logical feedback loop in play making the "sun come will up tomorrow" a semantic and logical necessity.

You're tying empiricism too heavily into things without recognizing the semantic necessities at play.

Philosophy! Phuck yeah!

They believe that no matter what happens the Koch brothers will take care of them.

Maybe they think they can secede again. Which Southern state is going to be the first to try and pull that one? My money is on Texas, although NC is pretty Tea'd up right now, too.

They believe if you sodomizing sinners would knock your gayness off and buy a gun...God will keep the sun on the same schedule it has had for the last 5,000 years.

Back