• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sonny Rollins, Satire and the New Yorker

MHBDemon

Reaction score
So a college roommate and friend wrote this for the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/sonny-rollins-words

It pissed off a lot of jazz musicians and fans, including Sonny:

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2014/08/05/sonny-rollins-fans-go-ballistic-about-new-yorker-article

http://nicholaspayton.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/on-the-new-yorker-satirizing-sonny/

And then Django responded with thoughts on the backlash:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/136918-notes-from-the-backlash

One of the recurring complaints I've seen is that it was published in the New Yorker, rather than the Onion, as if certain publications are not allowed to publish satire because of their reputation.

I thought it was funny, but I'm understanding that it's not everyone's kind of humor (what kind of humor is?).

Thoughts?

And if you like Django's writing, PM me and I can send you some links to other pieces.

One of the recurring complaints I've seen is that it was published in the New Yorker, rather than the Onion, as if certain publications are not allowed to publish satire because of their reputation.

The Shouts and Murmurs page has always been satirical.

i enjoyed this part in particular:

There was this one time, in 1953 or 1954, when a few guys and I had just finished our last set at Club Carousel, and we were about to pack it in when in walked Bud Powell and Charlie Parker. We must have jammed together for five more hours, right through sunrise. That was the worst day of my life.

I didn't find the article to be particularly funny, but I'm not sure I get all the backlash. Seems like the backlash is generating more press for the article than it would have otherwise received.

Considering the music writer for the New Yorker, sfj, is one of the best jazz writers alive today, I think it's a really dumb overreaction.

I don't think the article was funny, but I agree that the overreaction was worse. Jazz is ripe for satire, but this just didn't work. It almost seemed a bit mean-spirited, and I have no idea why he picked Sonny Rollins. Who knows.

Some jazz musicians have heightened sensitivity to this sort of thing because the common criticisms of their music is that it is inaccessible, esoteric, weird, and full of wrong notes. Yet, it remains one of 'murca's true creations. The marginalization of the art form is pretty tragic, in my opinion, particularly when ultra crap music gets all the attention and makes all the money. But then again, people like Danielle Steel and Paula Deen have long outsold far more talented and creative people in their fields, so I guess it is consistent.

Last edited:
I don't think the article was funny, but I agree that the overreaction was worse. Jazz is ripe for satire, but this just didn't work. It almost seemed a bit mean-spirited, and I have no idea why he picked Sonny Rollins. Who knows.

Some jazz musicians have heightened sensitivity to this sort of thing because the common criticisms of their music is that it is inaccessible, esoteric, weird, and full of wrong notes. Yet, it remains one of 'murca's true creations. The marginalization of the art form is pretty tragic, in my opinion, particularly when ultra crap music gets all the attention and makes all the money. But then again, people like Danielle Steel and Paula Deen have long outsold far more talented and creative people in their fields, so I guess it is consistent.

said every artist/fan of the arts, ever

Considering the music writer for the New Yorker, sfj, is one of the best jazz writers alive today, I think it's a really dumb overreaction.

Jesus Christ would you look at this shit. Townie is writing Townie fan-fiction at this point.

Gotta admit that one went over my head.

Back