• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SOTOGAB

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
Disclaimer: this is not a slam on the band or it’s talent.

For those of us that were there it was impossible not to compare the bands last night. Away bands used to perform at half times in college football but that doesn’t really happen anymore. Championships and bowls are really the only times where two bands perform and there was no comparison last night.

College football is a spectacle. A lot has been done to make our gameday experience better. The next step needs to be funneling resources into getting about 3x the number of band members.

Unless we hire some kids to come over from the WSSU band to augment the Wake band, I’m not sure there’s a whole lot we can do about this.

Half time we did have the 2 guys from the west coast shot putting footballs as part of the Dr Pepper tuition throw contest.

What more could you want?

Not likely to happen. The band's already pretty big proportional to the size of the school. WF only draws so many marching-band types.

Pitt's just another big public diploma mill. Naturally they've got a good band.

We are a small school, the band will be small, the end. Better to compare percentage of undergrad students in band between schools, but even that isn’t a great comparison because the pool of potential band donks isn’t a 1:1 as a schools population increases.

The band has noticably shrunk in size in recent years.

It's embarrassing.

I would add that the whole program is way ahead of where it was 25+ years ago. I think the AD has tried to help them along and I give Wellman and Currie credit for that (and I don't credit Wellman with much).

The band has noticably shrunk in size in recent years.

It's embarrassing.

I wondered about that. Going on vague recall only, and it's been a while since I made it back for a home game, but I do feel like they were a bit bigger and stronger ten years ago or so.

They also spent their whole halftime performance aimed towards the Pitt side of the stadium so that none of the wake fans could even hear them. It seemed like a strange choice.

Not likely to happen. The band's already pretty big proportional to the size of the school. WF only draws so many marching-band types.

Pitt's just another big public diploma mill. Naturally they've got a good band.

The band is about a third of the size it was in the 90s.

At the NC State game State’s band, albeit much bigger than ours, was way louder which shouldn’t happen in our own an stadium.

The band is about a third of the size it was in the 90s.

Yikes, didn't know it had gotten that small. Does seem like some recruiting/revitalization efforts are in order. If we were that big before no reason we can't be again since Hatch jacked up enrollment.

Marching band and pep band members used to travel to NCAA Tournaments. Maybe bowl travel and tourney travel will be enough of a perk in the future.

With all the Bob McCreary money we just need to break off a big chunk and pay students to be in the band. I was in the band mid to late 90s and I feel like we had over 100 members, and what I saw yesterday was embarrassing, especially having to follow the Pitt band right after.

They also spent their whole halftime performance aimed towards the Pitt side of the stadium so that none of the wake fans could even hear them. It seemed like a strange choice.

That put them facing the Stadium TV cameras. It was awkward because that was facing the Pitt crowd.

That put them facing the Stadium TV cameras. It was awkward because that was facing the Pitt crowd.

How much did they even show on TV? There are cameras on the other side of the stadium, they could pick up some shots.

Yeah y’all. The band used to be 2x (or more) the size it is now when the student body was smaller by about 1000 people. I think SoCal let’s community members be a part of the band. It may be time for us to do the same. I agree that last night was embarrassing. We should’ve invited WSSU or UNC-C to join.

How much did they even show on TV? There are cameras on the other side of the stadium, they could pick up some shots.

“In Stadium TV cameras” so that field view was what they were showing those of us there while folks at home were watching talking heads and Dr Pepper ads. I’m not saying it was the right thing but I believe that was the intent.

Back