• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

South Florida Job

wake20

Reaction score
Are most here underestimating the USF job?

Chas Wolfe ‏@highmajorscoop 15m
5 interesting names emerging for South Florida:
Andy Kennedy
Mike White
Ben Howland
Buzz Williams
Tim Miles

If they hire my man BUZZ, I'm gonna be devastated.

Another reason for Wellman to go ahead and announce [Redacted]'s departure. Would suck if BC, VT or USF snaps up a good candidate before we even announce Buzz has been let go.

I can't believe I'm citing Dick Vitale, but even Dicky said:

"What I'm hearing, I heard it last night. I don't know how valid it is because you hear rumors, but this guy is pretty legit who I was talking to. And I'm hearing a strong rumor about Buzz Williams," said Vitale. "That would be hitting a grand slam."

Link

Even if USF is willing to pony up the cash, the AAC conference sucks. Louisville is leaving for the ACC and Rutgers for the Big 10. Next year the American adds Tulane, ECU and Tulsa. UCONN, Memphis and Cincy have legit basketball programs but beyond that hard to see anyone with the option to coach in the Big 10, ACC, Big East or Big 12 is going to want to coach in a basketball conference with UCF, Houston, Tulane, and ECU? That just screams minor leagues to me. There is a reason that UCONN and Cincy would be willing to cut off a testicle to leave the AAC. Just don't see USF and the AAC being attractive enough to attract any of the names on that wish list.

Buzz Williams also milked Marquette out of more money by flirting with the SMU job a few years ago.

Even if USF is willing to pony up the cash, the AAC conference sucks. Louisville is leaving for the ACC and Rutgers for the Big 10. Next year the American adds Tulane, ECU and Tulsa. UCONN, Memphis and Cincy have legit basketball programs but beyond that hard to see anyone with the option to coach in the Big 10, ACC, Big East or Big 12 is going to want to coach in a basketball conference with UCF, Houston, Tulane, and ECU? That just screams minor leagues to me. There is a reason that UCONN and Cincy would be willing to cut off a testicle to leave the AAC. Just don't see USF and the AAC being attractive enough to attract any of the names on that wish list.

Maybe that's a perk to some people? I agree with everything you said, just trying to play devil's advocate and think about the other side.

Back