• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Speeding Ticket - Atlanta Advice

ctdeac13

Reaction score
I just got pulled over on Roswell Rd by Peachtree Presbyterian tonight. I got a ticket for doing 52 in a 35. Does anybody have any advice. Do I just pay it, go to court on my own or hire a lawyer? I've got a clean record with no points on my license. Thanks for the help.

You can plead NOLO and just pay it, but if you get another ticket soon after, you will have to figure it out. I got one for "following to close" and decided to plead NG and hope the cop does not show. Was almost a year ago and they have not set a date. Time on my side I guess. ATL traffice court is an absolute shit show. You realize how many people live in the A when you go. Tax payers they are not.

Congrats to getting up to that speed in Buckhead. I guess the traffic clears after 10 PM on Tuesdays.

You can plead NOLO and just pay it, but if you get another ticket soon after, you will have to figure it out. I got one for "following to close" and decided to plead NG and hope the cop does not show. Was almost a year ago and they have not set a date. Time on my side I guess. ATL traffice court is an absolute shit show. You realize how many people live in the A when you go. Tax payers they are not.
I generally am pretty conservative in the city. I just got a new car last weekend and decided to be stupid and give it some gas. I have to wait like 5 days to see how much it'll cost me. Any idea on what it might be? I'm expecting something in the $300+ rate.

Hoping that the cop won't show up to testify seldom works. Maybe things are bad enough in the Atlanta courts that there's a non-negligible chance you'll get away with it, but you should expect the cop to be there.

If a clean record is important to you, probably worth it to hire a lawyer for a few hundred bucks and see if you can get the charge dismissed or reduced. If you don't want to pay for a lawyer, you can go to court, talk to the prosecutor, and hope he gives you a break and tosses the charge. That's worked for me a time or two in the past when I had a decent excuse.

Personally, I'd just pay it. Unless I was in danger of losing my license or having an insurance problem, wouldn't be worth the time and hassle to fight it.

Push back the court date several times and you might get lucky with the cop not showing up.

If he does show up ask the judge - based on your clean record - to reduce it to 14 miles over the speed limit which in Georgia carries no points. I would bet this decreases the fine too and the judge may even be cool and knock it down it further.

Do not spend any money on a lawyer, just go in and represent yourself.

Yeah, bitch. My Aston-Martin needs some gas.

c08bac3c28316ff20f3df3d4ca7f9f5a.jpg

I generally am pretty conservative in the city. I just got a new car last weekend and decided to be stupid and give it some gas. I have to wait like 5 days to see how much it'll cost me. Any idea on what it might be? I'm expecting something in the $300+ rate.

Less than 300. I think it is like 220 with court costs. Pushing back the court date does not work on the first go round. First court date is for plea (NG, NOLO, Guilty). From there they set the next date which will be when you want to work the push back, hope no show angles. Or, you can just plead NOLO on the first date (which most folks do) and just cash out. I decided to roll the dice and see if I can get a no show cop or get it tossed via local hook ups.

I just got pulled over on Roswell Rd by Peachtree Presbyterian tonight. I got a ticket for doing 52 in a 35. Does anybody have any advice. Do I just pay it, go to court on my own or hire a lawyer? I've got a clean record with no points on my license. Thanks for the help.

This is one of the biggest known speed traps in the city.

Just curious: was this Atlanta PD who stopped you? For 20 something years of being downtown, I cannot recall a single time I've seen APD make a traffic stop involving speeding or rolling stop or similar. Running red, maybe. Shit, half the time, the speeding or unyielding car you're trying to dodge while walking is APD. Or parked under the "no parking" sign.

Maybe in the outlying precincts they have time to worry about other things.

No, they don't give a shit in downtown or midtown. APD and the GSP do all their heavy ticket volume on the poor saps that drive in/out on the interstates. :thumbsup:

That being said, once you get up bheady way, there are some known speed tarps, and that little stretch on Roswell is one of the biggest.

It was APD. I know its a speed trap which is what kills me. I live right down the street from there and see the cops all the time, though they are mostly State Patrol.

To your point, on west paces this morning there was an APD officer going probably 55 with no lights on. I was 2 cars behind him going 45 and he was pulling away from us.

Ha I was just thinking about how crazy it is that the speed trap I remember from when I was 16 is still alive and well.

Speed trap and a DUI trap as well. We used to call that stretch of Roswell the DUI Highway.

Just pay a lawyer to get it dismissed. Whatever you spend now will be made up by your insurance not increasing

I usually show the cop my cock to get out of it.

Back