• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Speeding ticket/lawyer help - Martinsville/Henry Co, VA

ZDeac

Reaction score
So my wife got a speeding ticket going 67 in a 55 a couple weekends ago in Henry County, VA. Thankfully not that stupid reckless endangerment stuff VA has but a nuisance nonetheless.

We had read about the possibility of doing a defensive driving class in Virginia, but my wife called the court clerk today to ask about it and was told that "this justice doesn't go for that."

So...looks like we need a lawyer. Obviously just trying to keep it off her record. Anyone dealt with this up there before and have a recommendation?

If it matters, she's still using a Texas DL.

Depending on how old you are, I'd just pay it. I'm 32, have a DC license and have two tix in VA over the past five years (most recent was last year), and neither hurt my insurance. And both were for 15 over (both reduced to that on the spot).

she's 23, so sub 25 I feel like it could be an issue. I suppose we could check with the insurance Co, though

Might be able to help. Grew up in Martinsville and my parents still live there. Any idea who the judge is and whether it is city or county? Also are you Virginia residents?

Yeah, that could be an issue. But I don't know about checking with the insurance co. That'll just out it on the radar. I would chance it, especially with her having a TX license. But that's just me. I got around 8 tix when I was under 25 and only one was picked up by my insurance co., but it was a 96 in a 65, so I couldn't drive in CT for a year and it was kind of a big deal.

Might be able to help. Grew up in Martinsville and my parents still live there. Any idea who the judge is and whether it is city or county? Also are you Virginia residents?

Henry County General District Court, http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/gd/henry/home.html Indicates the judges
Judges
Hon. R. Morgan Armstrong, Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
Hon. Edwin A. Gendron Jr.

Technically still Texas residents at this point, so not Virginia residents.

Definitely hire a lawyer, they will be able to get you a better deal that can be had by calling the clerk of court. I don't know anyone in Martinsville, but a martindale.com search reveals that Wake Law grad Scott Wall (276.638.2367) practices there. Can't tell if he does traffic but he'll know someone who does.

When is the trial? I will try to get you some lawyer recommendations within the next few days.

By the way, the only other way I could see of getting out of this by not hiring a lawyer is to go to court and talk to the ticketing officer beforehand. Tell him that you don't mind paying the fine, but just don't want the points on your license and see if he will change the charge to something like driving without proper registration. There's no guarantee that he will do it, but I used this in a small town in South Carolina and just paid the fine and got no points so no increase in insurance premium.

When is the trial? I will try to get you some lawyer recommendations within the next few days.

By the way, the only other way I could see of getting out of this by not hiring a lawyer is to go to court and talk to the ticketing officer beforehand. Tell him that you don't mind paying the fine, but just don't want the points on your license and see if he will change the charge to something like driving without proper registration. There's no guarantee that he will do it, but I used this in a small town in South Carolina and just paid the fine and got no points so no increase in insurance premium.

Interesting, may look into that. Court day is June 27 so we have a few weeks. If you've got recommendations that'd be great. Thanks!

In my experience VA cops treat speeding tickets like they are on The Wire. I would get a local lawyer.

Yeah, that could be an issue. But I don't know about checking with the insurance co. That'll just out it on the radar. I would chance it, especially with her having a TX license. But that's just me. I got around 8 tix when I was under 25 and only one was picked up by my insurance co., but it was a 96 in a 65, so I couldn't drive in CT for a year and it was kind of a big deal.

I have a feeling I know which car you did this in...

If he is still practicing try Gordon Kent in Campbell County. He helped me out a number of years ago with a ticket in the Danville area. Was very pleased with the result.

Do not speed on Hwy 220 through Rocky Mount, VA. They will get you every time. My experience in VA is that as long as you're not a dick, they'll lower the ticket to 9 over, which is pretty much the case everywhere unless you're going Warp 4.

But I would definitely get a local lawyer.

Back