• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Speeding ticket thread #123098123

wolfdeac

Reaction score
So, I got a ticket today pulling up to the stop light at Liberty St. and Academy in front of Salem. He said I was going 52 in a 35 (nfw), but wrote the ticket for 45 in a 35 (possible) and mentioned I could bring a copy of my driving record and attempt to just get it dismissed without getting a lawyer. I have had several speeding tickets, but none on my record. After some quick googling, I see that an infraction of less than 10 mph results in zero points on the license, and therefore should not give me insurance points either (what I'm actually worried about).

So I ask you, Pit, do I:
A)Get a lawyer and go to court, couple hundred bucks
B)Try what the cop said, get my driving record and go to court and hopefully get it dropped
C)Use a PJC

I'd probably go the lawyer route. Not sure it's worth all the risk/research to try and make sure you have all the angles covered yourself.

I could be wrong, though.

don't use a pjc. 10 and under is the rule. I used to think it was 9 and under but 10 and under is actually correct. your insurance won't go up with just one of these in the last 3 years.

so just paying the ticket would work but a better option is trying to go for improper equipment. i am not sure if they still do improper equipment or not but in forsyth county you used to be able to get one of these pretty easily. if you get this it is a non-moving violation and won't come back to haunt you even if you do get another ticket within three years (which a 10 over would do). Here's a nice link for you:

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/Trafficpoints.htm

but wrote the ticket for 45 in a 35 (possible) and mentioned I see that an infraction of less than 10 mph results in zero points on the license

Get a lawyer. What I bolded is the key. 9 or less doesnt cause the insurance to go up. 10 and over does, so my fiance the insurance adjuster says.

Get a lawyer. What I bolded is the key. 9 or less doesnt add points. 10 and over does, so my fiance the insurance adjuster says.

this used to be my understanding. not so (which was backed up by a fellow deac who is a lawyer on the old boards).

from the link i just posted:
1 Point
Speeding 10 mph or less in excess of a speed limit of less than 55 mph*
Any other moving violation.
Each at-fault accident that results in total damage of $ 1,800.00 or less * 3-4-2005

*Points are not assigned for these violations unless the same driver has been convicted of at least one other moving violation during the experience period (the last three years).

this used to be my understanding. not so (which was backed up by a fellow deac who is a lawyer on the old boards).

from the link i just posted:

This is actually why I asked, because from googling I found the same to be true. I think, though, that we're looking at drivers license points vs insurance points.. I think I'll have to trust the insurance adjuster here.

Why avoid using the PJC?

Also, Dented, for the link you posted it still says there is a 25% surcharge for even one point =/ which is also what it says is assessed for 10mph or less <55 mph. Ugh.

This is actually why I asked, because from googling I found the same to be true. I think, though, that we're looking at drivers license points vs insurance points.. I think I'll have to trust the insurance adjuster here.

When she gets back from lunch, I'll get her to log on and give a full explanation.

Also, Dented, for the link you posted it still says there is a 25% surcharge for even one point =/ which is also what it says is assessed for 10mph or less <55 mph. Ugh.

yeah but if you look at the asterisk (and i also know this from personal experience) if you have just one it won't show up as any kind of surcharge on insurance. like i was saying, the best way to go is to either ask for an improper equipment yourself or have a lawyer go in and request one for you. when i did this in forsyth it wasnt but the cost of the ticket, the court fees, and less than 100 bucks for the lawyer. this has been 4.5 years though since then for me.

thanks, I appreciate it

Sorry for the late response. She said to check the specific wording of your policy, because it varies from state to state. Most of them are on board with the 9 or under for insurance going up, but it wont go up unless you've had another claim recently. Her suggestion was spend a few bucks, get a lawyer to show up/handle everything for you, but the 5 0 was a dick for not dropping it down another mph.

These are from the notes I took in Motor Vehicle Law:

-Speeding tickets only get dismissed in certain counties.

-The next best option after dismissal is an "improper equipment." This is a non-moving violation, that does not carry license points or insurance points. Not all districts allow this. Some districts will make you go to an 8 or 4 hour driving school to amend for an improper equipment. It used to be that improper equipment did not show up on your record, but that has since been amended and it does show up now.

-The next best option would be to get a prayer for judgment. This is a non-moving violation, which does not carry license points or insurance points, but you do have to pay court costs. You can only use one PJC every three years per insurance policy (think family/household not person). Also you cannot get a PJC if you have a commercial drivers license.

-The last option would be the 10 mile rule. If you get it reduced to 10 miles over, my professor says that you will not get any insurance points, but you will get license points. I suppose the insurance points could depend on the policy. This is a moving violation, and you cannot get it reduced to this if you have had any other convictions for a moving violation within the last three years. Since your ticket was written at 10 miles over, this shouldn't really apply to you because you are not reducing it to 10 over.

I'm not really sure which of those you can do yourself, and which you need a lawyer for, but I hope that helps!

Lawyer. A few hundred bucks now saves a few hundred bucks on insurance in the long run, and if you get another ticket in the short-term, you're in a much worse situation if you've still got this one hanging on your record.

So, I got a ticket today pulling up to the stop light at Liberty St. and Academy in front of Salem. He said I was going 52 in a 35 (nfw), but wrote the ticket for 45 in a 35 (possible) and mentioned I could bring a copy of my driving record and attempt to just get it dismissed without getting a lawyer. I have had several speeding tickets, but none on my record. After some quick googling, I see that an infraction of less than 10 mph results in zero points on the license, and therefore should not give me insurance points either (what I'm actually worried about).

So I ask you, Pit, do I:
A)Get a lawyer and go to court, couple hundred bucks
B)Try what the cop said, get my driving record and go to court and hopefully get it dropped
C)Use a PJC

Happened to me back in 2007 in Winston-Salem. I got a copy of my driving record, went to court on the date, stood in line for a few hours, showed the record, paid the fine, no points on my insurance. I don't think you need an attorney unless you just don't want to go to court.

got a ticket in Wilkesboro, 70 in a 55. cop pulled me over and i was literally pulled over next to the 'speed limit 65' sign. i'll get a lawyer for my early May court date.

Happened to me back in 2007 in Winston-Salem. I got a copy of my driving record, went to court on the date, stood in line for a few hours, showed the record, paid the fine, no points on my insurance. I don't think you need an attorney unless you just don't want to go to court.

And you were going at least 10mph over, not 9? That is the only part that has me really wary of not hiring a lawyer. Just 1 point on insurance is a 25% surcharge, yikes.

Back