• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spotify Music Groups

Now you just have to wait for people to 1) receive an invite 2) pony up the cash for the service (which seems like a pretty good deal, since its the cost of 1 CD/month for all the music you can stand) or 3) use a UK based proxy to bypass the American invite requirement

someone hit me with an invite?

They aren't letting new users invite people yet. Or at least they didn't give me any invites.

I played with it some last night and came away confused as to how this thing gets so much love in europe. No web based client and $10 a month for mobile access. This isn't 2005 anymore.

I retract my earlier complaints. Spotify is awesome. I'm going to be bitter when the 10 hr a month cap takes effect in 6 months.

Just got an invite and got on. Seems somewhat limited on music, but I am sure that will change pretty quickly as more people are invited and add music. I say limited mainly because my search for Deer Tick brings up very few songs by Deer Tick and none of their big stuff.

Spotify is awesome. It's not like the selection is super duper incredible, at least I don't think it blows GrooveShark out of the water. But the interface is soooo smooth and the social sharing aspect is pretty incredible.

I got in via what lifehacker first mentions, via @am, and I received my invite in like 15 minutes.

Just got an invite and got on. Seems somewhat limited on music, but I am sure that will change pretty quickly as more people are invited and add music. I say limited mainly because my search for Deer Tick brings up very few songs by Deer Tick and none of their big stuff.

Users don't add music on Spotify.

Grooveshark is a different beast entirely; since its catalog is made up of user-uploaded songs, it could potentially have an infinite number of available tracks. It also means many of the more obscure tracks and mixes show up on Grooveshark, but not on Spotify or Pandora. The downside to a user-generated catalog is that naming for songs artists and albums is highly inconsistent, and the quality of the tunes is all over the place. On top of that, there’s the potential illegality of Grooveshark as a whole. (Neither Spotify nor Pandora have such legal woes.) If we were judging simply on the number and variety of songs — a perfectly valid benchmark — Grooveshark would have it in the bag. But we’re not, so we have to give this one to the more tightly controlled Spotify, and its 15 million high-quality tracks.

http://news.yahoo.com/spotify-vs-pandora-vs-grooveshark-015301913.html

Spotify is awesome. It's not like the selection is super duper incredible, at least I don't think it blows GrooveShark out of the water. But the interface is soooo smooth and the social sharing aspect is pretty incredible.

I got in via what lifehacker first mentions, via @am, and I received my invite in like 15 minutes.

Agreed.

Spotify users must enjoy letting others into their computers.

Only 8.8% of music playback comes from Spotify’s servers. The rest comes from the peer-to-peer network (35.8%) or your local cache (55.4%). The exception here is Spotify on smartphones, which gets all the music directly from the Spotify servers.

Back