• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Game Reports

P4nthers11

Reaction score
Didnt see a thread like this posted so thought I'd start one.

Pleasantly surprised with how the weather turned out. Got there at one and it was down pouring. Left and came back an hour later and it was sunny and beautiful out. Missed the first fifteen minutes of the game but from what I saw...

Defense dominated the offense. Only saw one TD scored by the offense and it was on a crazy Josh Harris run. Looked like he was done for but he broke free and then outran several defenders who looked like they had an angle on him. The entire offense from the sidelines then met him in the endzone for a little celebration.

Tanner threw the best ball out of all the QBs, no surprise there. He chucked a bomb to Givens down the field who was not quite able to get more than his fingertips on it.

Lots of drops from the WRs. Quan Rucker had a circus catch followed immediately by a hands of brick drop. Saw Matt James drop a couple. Didnt notice Camp too much but that could have been my lack of attentiveness.

No surprises on the D-line it looked like first team was still Dorty-Whitlock-Thompson and the second group was Redding-Booi-Vogelsang and third team was Dunmeyer-Mosby- (not sure white guy with tats prob Mike White) Dorty was real active that I noticed. Booi's name called a lot and Redding had a "sack" blown dead at one point where looked like he could have killed the QB rather than two hand touched him if he wanted.

Saw some of the high school guys who are seniors coming in next year on the sideline and Dylan Intemann looks like he could be a wild card. He was standing next to Cody Preble and looked much thicker. His calves looked massive and real good frame.

Interesting, thanks for the report. I was wondering whether or not they'd even have a game w/ the way the weather was forecasted earlier this morning.

Harris=Stud I know he had over 100yds rushing and a 50yd tdrun

KJ and Cyhl name was called on tackles A LOT.

Oline looks good on run blocking terrible on pass blocking this has to be fixed in order to be successful.

Tanner looks the most fluid with the offense.

Knott- Surprised me today should be servicable this year and a good backup to Harris next year.

Bohannon-looked good today

Matt James needs to work on the hands a bit and seen our new coach jump all over him for dropping a first down catch on 3rd down.

Givens Barely missed a 50yd td bomb from Tanner it was a beautiful pass just off the finger tips.

Wulfeck-look the best I have ever seen him probably averaged about 45yds a punt but the wind was at his back and it blowing wild out here today.

Defense got a few sacks today looked good when they blitzed. DB's were better.

A few recruits out there I do not know who.

Seen Arnoux, Chantz McClintic, Antonio Wilson and more out there on the d side and in the stands today and John Russell.

Game delayed due to weather but it turned out beautiful.

Who was the huge guy on offensive sideline in street clothes...black guy with dreads. Dude was massive.

Out for the spring back for the summer/fall I believe.

Knott deff looked like he had a nice burst on some runs.

T-Bo had a dirty one handed catch coming out of the backfield. He showed some agility for a big guy.

Chris Degeare was on the sidelines. I knew before I even got in the stadium because of that fresh black suv parked right along the curb vip style.

Stachitis still tends to throw wounded ducks but he did thread the needle over the middle on one pass so Ill give credit where its due but he does not strike me as the quality of a passer we need.

I didn't think Price looked that good. He has a strong arm, but he was off target on most throws. I thought #14 looked as good or better than Price. OL was awful. Run blocking was ok at best, but there were a lot of runs for little or no gain. Grobe has a LOT of work to do with this offense.

The loudest ovation the entire game was for the punter. That reflects 1) his very nice punts, with or without the wind and 2) the lack of big plays other than a couple of Harris runs and Bohanan catches out of the backfield.

Last edited:
Who was punting, Newman?

I know we signed an Australian punter, is he already here?

Who was punting, Newman?

I know we signed an Australian punter, is he already here?

I believe Wulfeck handled all the punts I saw. Newman wasn't in pads and didn't leave the sideline while I was there.

Did Pendergrass ever get any carries? He was dressed out but I don't think I saw him get any snaps.

I believe Wulfeck handled all the punts I saw. Newman wasn't in pads and didn't leave the sideline while I was there.

Did Pendergrass ever get any carries? He was dressed out but I don't think I saw him get any snaps.

Well it's good that we apparently have a good punter on the roster already, but clearly the coaches didn't think he was as good as Popham the past two years. That's alarming.

Well it's good that we apparently have a good punter on the roster already, but clearly the coaches didn't think he was as good as Popham the past two years. That's alarming.

Especially since punting would seemingly be something where a true freshmen could step in and do if they were that good. Let's face it Popham had a couple issues as the punter and didn't get off great punts sometimes, so the door was definitely open for a true punter to come in and seize the role.

But, whatever, if the guy is now kicking 45/50 yarders with some air under them, I'll take it and not worry about what he was doing to not play the last two years.

Wulfeck punted pretty well, he had a couple with the defense right in his face that still got good hangtime and distance. It was obvious the crowd was happy to see some decent punting finally, giving his a round of applause after every one.

Pendergrass got 1 or 2 carries that I remember, not much else.

Defense is still giving a huge cushion on the corners, though we did throw a couple blitzes in and got some sacks. Could be the O-line sucks of course. Josh Harris missed a block on one play that forced Tanner to scramble.

First team offense moved the ball steadily down field with good running by Harris and some short throws by Tanner, but every drive save the long TD run, stalled around the 30.

Overall, Harris was impressive as expected, Tanner looked pretty good, Camp was solid. Other than that, not a whole lot to get excited about, nor is there a whole lot you can tell about a spring game.

Wulfeck was in the zone yesterday--he was booming rainbows. Perfect spirals, and most of them turned over just the way you'd want them to.

The defense looked much more dynamic yesterday, and I was really pleased with the pass rush overall (of course, the other side of that is that the offensive line was really poor in their pass protection).

Harris is a complete stud. If we can block for him, he's going to have a huge year.

tanner looked the best i thought. Stachitas is TURRIBLE. He takes off every time, he cant throw at all several times people were open and he tucked it.

Do take into account that all of Wulfeck's punts was with the tornado winds at his back which we won't have all year. Anyone who has seen him work without the wind how has he looked? The kid was booming 30-35 yarders all year last year I would love a 10-15yd improvement.

All the reports I've seen about Wulfeck were uninspiring, but he looks like the guy. It's hard to imagine the Aussie will be ready to contribute right away if what I saw was correct that he's never played in an American football game before.

I just hope our coaching staff realizes that the punting game and defense may not be dependable. The offense may not be either, but up the middle on 3rd and long and punt isn't going to get us anywhere without a boomer who can flip the field.

What's the word on Newman? I think I saw that he's injured. Anything serious?

What's the word on Newman? I think I saw that he's injured. Anything serious?

dramatic reenactment of how Newman got hurt...
wayne-knight-jurassic-park_480x270.jpg
SpielbergJurassic9.jpg

Now all Newman is doing is...
newman.jpg

Last edited:
Do take into account that all of Wulfeck's punts was with the tornado winds at his back which we won't have all year. Anyone who has seen him work without the wind how has he looked? The kid was booming 30-35 yarders all year last year I would love a 10-15yd improvement.

Really not true. Wind was from the west. He was kicking toward the field house.

Back