• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spritz - speed reading

RevDeac06

OGBoards Chaplain
Reaction score
Spritz Have you all seen this? Pretty cool, great potential. Rumors point to it being included (in some fashion) on the upcoming Samsung S5.

ETA- the FAQs are pretty good.

Damn, that is amazing.

Seriously revolutionizes reading and consuming content. In the first 30 seconds of using it on their website I could immediately tell a huge difference. Especially considering the amount of content that is out there, this is genius.

And if people want an idea of their normal WPM, you can go here: http://www.readingsoft.com/

I went from 325 at that site to comfortable being able to read around the 500-550 wpm with Spritz.

Hadn't tried Spritz, but 350wpm with 91% comprehension. I'm still a little sleepy and it took me a few seconds to realize the page wasn't going to scroll for me when I clicked start.

I have to wonder if they've done any studies on the consequences of long term use. Can't imagine that this is going to do anything to improve the ADHD Generation.

I have to wonder if they've done any studies on the consequences of long term use. Can't imagine that this is going to do anything to improve the ADHD Generation.

Check out the faq- pretty funny response to that question. But they (of course) say no issues. I don't know that I'd want to do that for more than 30 minutes though.

sent via Nexus 7

Haven't speedreading apps/websites been around forever? It's nice for just trying to quick absorb information, but it sucks for reading a novel for actual enjoyment, where you want to visualize what's happening and perhaps pause to think about things.

I felt a a little uptight and anxious while spritz was running at 400 wpm. It required too much focus and mental effort, like the games where you need to follow which cup is hiding the ball.

definitely works better when you relax.

i feel like they should put their money where their mouth is and upload a novel or novella that's no longer under copyright protection so you can get a sense of what actually reading something would be like.

Last edited:
definitely works better when you relax.

i feel like they should put their money where their mouth is and upload a novel or novella that's no longer under copyright protection so you can get a sense of what actually reading something would be like.

agreed with this.
I probably would have used this more for schoolwork reading assignments than i would for reading for pleasure - I'm usually too distracted in general when I'm reading for pleasure, so it would get annoying to constantly be pausing this. For school reading, though... yes please. All the case studies.

This is pretty neat, but they keep talking about large left to right movements with your eyes. Don't your eyes mostly stay still when reading text (and then they make jumps at certain points between fixations), and any sensation of them moving smoothly is actually the brain "simulating" that effect?

Got through comprehension of the 600 wpm pretty easily. But it felt like it was straining my eyes through my contacts or something.

That would be horrible for recreational reading. Can you imagine trying to read Game of Thrones like that - with all the indeciperable names and places? You could never keep up with what was going on.
It would probably work really well for informational reading or for studying.

That would be horrible for recreational reading. Can you imagine trying to read Game of Thrones like that - with all the indeciperable names and places? You could never keep up with what was going on.
It would probably work really well for informational reading or for studying.

that's why i'd like to see an actual selection to read

Yeah, i seemed pretty cool, but I do wonder about prolonged attention with regards to retention. The 30 sec clip they showed seemed to work well, but I think I might be tired after focusing so much for 5+ minutes (granted, even if I could only focus for 5 minutes, that's still 3000 words knocked out pretty quickly).

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is now available as a trial so people can test it. Not a book that was on my "to read" list, but will give it a go later.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is now available as a trial so people can test it. Not a book that was on my "to read" list, but will give it a go later.

It's pretty interesting even trying to read the first few pages. It's pretty unnatural and feels strange and awkward, but I can already tell that with practice and getting used to it, I could read a book just as easily with Spritz as I would traditionally.

The only thing I'd want to be able to do is go back and look at a sentence or paragraph again in case I missed something or want to reread. If there were a function where you could just zoom out or something and see the red highlighted word of where you are and see the entire paragraph and page and be able to flip through like in a kindle, that'd be great.

Also, I feel like I miss a word when I blink. If the technology in Galaxy phones that pauses video when you look away, etc. is/became good enough, they should totally try to make it so it will stop just long enough when you blink so you don't miss one.

This is still awesome technology that will certainly revolutionize the way I read (I'm a thorough, but relatively slow reader and it takes awhile to get through a large volume of text. I also get distracted easily if I'm just looking at a wall of text).

Back