• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurrier wonders Vanderbilt football’s success comes from relaxed academic standards

A lowered academic standard would be news to Vandy coach James Franklin.

Since he arrived at Vanderbilt in 2011, Franklin has embraced his institution’s strict academic reputation instead of running from it. It’s a pillar of his recruiting pitch, something he mentions almost every time he speaks with media.

At SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala., this summer, Franklin lauded his team’s academic accomplishments. He pointed to the past decade, saying team GPA has been “on par” as the program’s win total increased.

“I don’t know all the academic requirements they have there at Vanderbilt, but if you’re going to play in the SEC you’ve got to recruit very closely to the standards everybody else has,” Spurrier said. “I would think they’ve relaxed them a little bit, but I don’t know exactly.”

Is that how Spurrier did it at Duke?

Unless Franklin is doing it with all freshmen and sophomores, it's a ridiculous question.

spurrier is king troll and has never and will never give any shits

Is that how Spurrier did it at Duke?

Unless Franklin is doing it with all freshmen and sophomores, it's a ridiculous question.

Spurrier went to a wide open offense at Duke and spread the field. He made the other teams cover him and they couldn't and he won the ACC title in 1989. I have loved his style ever since becasue he whipped UNC-Chapel Hill's butts in Kenan and before they could get the scoreboard turned off, he took the team over and took a team photo in front of the scoreboard. The man has kahonas!

Spurrier went to a wide open offense at Duke and spread the field. He made the other teams cover him and they couldn't and he won the ACC title in 1989. I have loved his style ever since becasue he whipped UNC-Chapel Hill's butts in Kenan and before they could get the scoreboard turned off, he took the team over and took a team photo in front of the scoreboard. The man has kahonas!

i guess that's the Hawaiian version of cojones...

It was a rhetorical question.

It was a rhetorical question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point.[1] The question is used as a rhetorical device, posed for the sake of encouraging its listener to consider a message or viewpoint. Though these are technically questions, they do not always require a question mark. A rhetorical question does not usually require an immediate answer, but is meant to draw attention to and start a meaningful discussion on the matter.

For example, the question "Can't you do anything right?" is asked not to gain information about the ability of the person being spoken to, but rather to insinuate that the person always fails.

While sometimes amusing and even humorous, rhetorical questions are rarely meant for pure, comedic effect. A carefully crafted question can, if delivered well, persuade an audience to believe in the position(s) of the speaker.[2]

In simple terms, it is a question asked more to produce an effect than to summon an answer.
Contents

Now the Carrot Top avatar makes perfect sense.

drinks coors heavy, talks shit to clemson fans, won an acc championship at duke, goes without shirts and shoes at practices, and doesnt give a single fuck about anything. sorry i wasnt around for the woody hayes, bo shembeckler's, and bear bryant's. but if i were i think i would still like steve way more.

From the article - "At SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala., this summer, Franklin lauded his team’s academic accomplishments. He pointed to the past decade, saying team GPA has been 'on par' as the program’s win total increased.

'Very proud of the fact that we’re part of what we call the 20-20-20 club,' Franklin said at the Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, site of media days. 'That is, us and Notre Dame are the only two schools in the country that finished in the top 20 on the football field, that had a top 20 recruiting class, and are in the top 20 academic institutions. We’re very, very proud of that stat as well.'

Vanderbilt University’s academic accomplishments are well known. Its football team has also been successful in the classroom."

Wake will never make the "20-20-20 club" as long as we have Nathan Hatch and Ron Wellman...

The answer to the question is pretty obviously yes. And that should be the answer. Either compete on a relatively level playing field or GTFO.

Back