• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Victor Wembanyama ROY, runner-up DPOY

I'm glad one of the coaches told wemby to experiment with never biting on any first shot attempt. He has really improved not falling for that first pump fake and then having a shot at the block. It's one of his most improved areas.

And overall his defense has had some moments he just looks like he is totally in control of everything. You can tell he sees the floor and gets to the right spots.

It's fun to watch.

Last edited:
Yeah. Wemby doesn't need to jump much to block shots and the shooter is already shook and looking for an opening.

They got worked in the 2nd half by the Bulls. It's disturbing how poorly they play against bad teams.

You'd think a win next week against Utah and Portland (2x) is likely but I'm not optimistic.

Wemby with only 7 and 4 to break his 8 game double-double streak.

Speaking of LaVine, I recommend this video and I'll expand on how it informs the Spurs' problems here.
I forgot who suggested this video (sorry for not looking it up). I recommend it. I don’t think he says anything groundbreaking but he helps piece together recent history and the evolution of the game.

This video helped confirm to me why the Spurs are ill-equipped for the present and future with Wemby. They tried to play a true C at PF, a dying position. Their other intriguing young prospect is a true PF and they tried to play him at PG which is the most necessary position. Aside from backup PG Tre Jones and some bigs, the rest of the roster is SGs who aren’t playmakers or great defenders which (spoiler alert) is the other dying position. They don’t have the playmaking wings you need to succeed. Instead of trying to turn Sochan into one, they wasted time turning him into a PG.

The video describes the modern NBA evolution from five positions to three positions: PG, wing, and C.

A big part of the Spurs problem they've disproportionately drafted SGs and PFs as those positions have been phased out of the league. Go back through their drafts since the Kawhi trade in 2011 which coincides with the elimination of the PF as pointed out in the video. The only players they've drafted who were a PG, wing, or C were Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Tre Jones, Sidy Cissoko, and Victor Wembanyama. They've played Derrick White at PG and Keldon Johnson at SF, but they're fundamentally SGs. Much of this was due to positionally need. They had Parker at PG, Kawhi at SF, and Duncan functionally at C then they had Murray at PG, DeRozan at SF, and Poeltl at C so they wanted to fill the gaps while those positions were being phased out of the league.

That video ends by explaining why there's little trade market for LaVine which may also explain why the Bulls seem to be doing fine without him. It also ponders what happens to the next generation of elite SGs. For example, does Ant transition to PG like Booker has (8.2 apg this season)?

What does this mean for the Spurs? Let's look at the main rotation at the 1-4. Like I said last week or so, I understand the desire for "positionless" basketball, but the traditional position you absolutely need is PG. They're already trying Branham at PG. Vassell could be a small wing but a wing needs to guard the 1-4. Keldon is also an undersized wing, but plays bigger than Vassell. Sochan could be a big wing but still needs a lot of work on his game. None of them are good enough that they could or should learn how to play PG. Tre Jones is a PG so he should start this year and let the others learn how to be modern wings.

They've finally put Wemby at C where he belongs. Behind him, Collins is a good C who works well on his own and in a big lineup with Wemby. Barlow should be a good bench C as well. I'd keep those three and either Bassey or Mamu.

So looking at the bench, Cedi is a good bench wing. McDermott is a SG. Neither are part of the future. Champagnie seems more like a big SG than a wing. 3/4 of his shot attempts are from 3. He doesn't have a diverse game and he's not a good wing defender. Cissoko looks like a future bench wing. He's a good wing ballhandler. He has the playmaking skills to set up Wemby. He's certainly part of the future.

Ideally, the Spurs should make the moves I discussed this week and include Vassell and Keldon as part of those deals. They should invest in Branham and Sochan partly because they're still on rookie deals and partly because I still think Sochan could play well with Wemby and Branham could be a reliable bench player on a good team.

Whether or not they trade Vassell and Keldon, they should send Champagnie to Austin and bring up Cissoko and Barlow. If they keep this pick, they should draft the best PG or wing available.

i didn't watch the video nor did i read all that text but SGs and many PFs are "wings"

i didn't watch the video nor did i read all that text but SGs and many PFs are "wings"
That's the point. The NBA has evolved from PG, SG, SF, PF, and C into PG, 3 wings, and a C (or maybe 2 PGs, 2 wings, and a C), so good teams typically have a "SG" and a "PF" who are wings. For example, Orlando Aaron Gordon was a traditional PF. Nuggets Aaron Gordon evolved into a big wing. The Celtics and Clippers each have two elite wings who probably wouldn't have played together a decade ago.

The Spurs drafted for position and invested draft capital into players who fit into the traditional SG and PF roles which makes it hard for them to adjust to the modern NBA. They also have to start over building around a PG, wings, and C after trading their PG, SF, and C from the post-Kawhi era. They have the C now, so they need the rest.

(This is the Spurs thread, not the NBA thread by the way)

Tre Jones finally starting today but only because Branham is out. Blake Wesley has been running with the 2nd unit.

Lots of injuries at C. Wemby is on a minutes restriction at 24 min. Collins is out 2-4 weeks. Bassey was out for the season weeks ago. Charles Bediako got cut from his 2-way spot due to injuries. They signed Diakite from UVA to the two-way spot. Barlow is coming off the bench now.

And Barlow got injured. Mamu is the backup C and got owned so they're going small.

Last edited:
The pic of wemby blocking giannis looks like giannis has a hand on wemby's throat.

Y'all. Check this out.

Dejounte would be a good fit for this team. No question there. The money isn't a major problem. 4/120 is a good deal especially with no major contracts. Next year, he'll make about what JC is making next year. Dejounte's trade value should be the same or less than it was when the Hawks got him coming off an All-Star season.

The original trade was 2 unprotected 1sts + 1 lottery protected 1st + Gallo for Dejounte and Jock Landale. I think the Spurs could get Dejounte for 1 unprotected 1st + a lightly protected 1st (like the Raptors 1st this year) + Keldon.

Last edited:
Last three games starting Tre Jones. Lost by 4 to the Bucks. Lost by 2 at the Cavs. Won by 22 in Detroit. Tre averaging 15.7/3/5 as a starter. Wemby with 22.3 ppg. Won the crucial 3Q in each game.

If the Hawks aren't blowing it up and want to contend, I'd offer them a top 3 protected 2024 1st, an unprotected future Spurs 1st, Keldon, Sochan plus some 2nds for Dejounte, Hunter, and Patty Mills.

Barlow has been playing well during Collins' injury and Wemby's minutes restriction. He has 23 points in the last 3 games on 11-16 shooting. His little elbow jumper is fantastic. Once he extends his range, he's going to be fantastic.

My only hesitation would be Mills’ age. I hate giving up a first on someone that might play half a season and retire
Otherwise I would love to bring Patty back

Mills would only be there for sentimental vet leadership reasons.

I just assume he plans to retire after the Olympics or maybe play in the NBL.

Big Vic started the 2nd half with a three, two alley-oops, and a dunk in under 2 minutes to get to 20 points in 13 minutes.

And now a layup!

Back