• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State Department Releases Graphic Anti-ISIS Video

ONW

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/world/state-department-anti-isis-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"Washington (CNN) -- The brutal mock ISIS recruitment video starts with a simple phrase: Run. Do not walk to ISIS land.

Then a body is thrown off a cliff.

Later a mosque is blown up, followed by a photo of a body with a severed head.

Complete with crucifixions, Muslims being whipped, shot in the head at point-blank range and thrown into ditches, the grisly video is the latest State Department effort to push back against ISIS recruiting efforts by highlighting the group's barbaric nature."

Interesting approach.

Really interesting approach. I'll be honest, I think it is a decent idea to at least get in the game. It will probably take a while before we know how to best target our anti-propaganda campaign, but at least the message will be out there. Better than letting one side have the bully pulpit. Even if we are disregarded as infidels, the information will still be out there. you can see the impact of this in the US with our news services. Fox News and MSNBC are both decried as infidels from the opposing side, but the reality is that we still discuss the reports. Good move by the administration. Not sure of the immediate impact, but it is good to get in the game.

I like the idea, though, much like the new "beer garden" at Groves, I question the actual execution. Coming from the State Department, with the official logo at the end, the cideo will do absolutely nothing to deter anyone. Hell, it may encourage more than it deters. It just comes off as making our State Dept and government look silly. A bunch of old men sitting around thinking "Hey guys, IS is beheading Americans on video...we should make a video about how mean they are and post it all over the Facebooks!!! I hear the kids are really into that stuff these days!! Hopefully John Stewart will show it!"

Viral propaganda, complete with low quality stolen video footage (hello VICE), can't be generated by the "enemy" and stamped with a corporate/official gov't logo...it's gotta look like it really is grass-roots. Someone who already sees the US government as enough of an enemy to consider jihad isn't going to be at all swayed by a video the US government puts out. The effort would have been much better executed via an intelligence agency, released through a more moderate on-the-ground Muslim group within the US that already has some respect of the people the video targets.

Last edited:
I like the idea, though, much like the new "beer garden" at Groves, I question the actual execution. Coming from the State Department, with the official logo at the end, the cideo will do absolutely nothing to deter anyone. Hell, it may encourage more than it deters. It just comes off as making our State Dept and government look silly. A bunch of old men sitting around thinking "Hey guys, IS is beheading Americans on video...we should make a video about how mean they are and post it all over the Facebooks!!! I hear the kids are really into that stuff these days!! Hopefully John Stewart will show it!"

Viral propaganda, complete with low quality stolen video footage (hello VICE), can't be generated by the "enemy" and stamped with a corporate/official gov't logo...it's gotta look like it really is grass-roots. Someone who already sees the US government as enough of an enemy to consider jihad isn't going to be at all swayed by a video the US government puts out. The effort would have been much better executed via an intelligence agency, released through a more moderate on-the-ground Muslim group within the US that already has some respect of the people the video targets.

zing

also, do we really need another discussion of how viral marketing works? we're sitting around talking about a state department propaganda video. they've already won.

we're sitting around talking about a state department propaganda video. they've already won.

This.

Both Mark Twain and George Carlin had good things to say about arguing with fools/idiots. By releasing our own propaganda in such a blatantly State sponsored way, we, at best, look like a China or North Korea thinking that we can force ideas down a people's throat despite the internet/free information/etc. At worst, we look worse...at least their state sponsored propaganda actually somewhat works. Whether we're more morally right or not, you can't be the "big dog" in a fight and attempt to win a propaganda war against a group of extremists who feel they are being oppressed and are willing to kill and be killed.

Last edited:
I agree that the logo was a poor choice. Very poor. But at least they are in the game, and realize we can't just be silent. I imagine they will get better at it (hopefully).

I agree that the logo was a poor choice. Very poor. But at least they are in the game, and realize we can't just be silent. I imagine they will get better at it (hopefully).

So, besides the quotes referenced above about fighting with a fool, I'd suggest this one:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

The video accomplishes nothing but to confirm that we are fools who have no real plan. The "oppressor" can't out-propaganda extremists who see themselves as oppressed, and who seriously entertain thoughts of giving up their lives to grab a flight to the middle east, pick up an AK and go to war for radical Islam. No one does that out of reluctance. You don't really sit on a fence, teetering back and forth, waiting for a YouTube video from the US Gov't to convince you it's better just to stay home, grab a pizza and rent the lastest chick flick from Redbox with your wife. If you're seriously entertaining grabbing that flight, you already believe those people in the video deserved to be beheaded and crucified. They were infidels. You may not be willing to go kill them yourself, but you believe they deserved to die. The video doesn't weigh into your decision to stay or go.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why President Obama uses the term "ISIL" instead of "ISIS"?

Levant is bigger than Syria...means he can invade more shit.

So, besides the quotes referenced above about fighting with a fool, I'd suggest this one:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

The video accomplishes nothing but to confirm that we are fools who have no real plan. The "oppressor" can't out-propaganda extremists who see themselves as oppressed, and who seriously entertain thoughts of giving up their lives to grab a flight to the middle east, pick up an AK and go to war for radical Islam. No one does that out of reluctance. You don't really sit on a fence, teetering back and forth, waiting for a YouTube video from the US Gov't to convince you it's better just to stay home, grab a pizza and rent the lastest chick flick from Redbox with your wife. If you're seriously entertaining grabbing that flight, you already believe those people in the video deserved to be beheaded and crucified. They were infidels. You may not be willing to go kill them yourself, but you believe they deserved to die. The video doesn't weigh into your decision to stay or go.

I think you are missing the target audience on this.

""A lot of people would like to stay on the sideline and say, 'Just bomb the place and tell us about it later,'" said Representative Jack Kingston, Republican of Georgia, who supports having an authorization vote. "It's an election year. A lot of Democrats don't know how it would play in their party, and Republicans don't want to change anything. We like the path we're on now. We can denounce it if it goes bad, and praise it if it goes well and ask what took him so long.""

Jack Kingston, R-Georgia

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/u...is-divided-on-campaign-against-militants.html

John Oliver is killing it, and his take on this was spot on. A sarcastic video? It's dunderheaded. Obama/Kerry fail

Washington (CNN) -- A day before President Barack Obama lays out his strategy to counter the ISIS terror threat, House Republicans sought the counsel of Dick Cheney, a key architect of the Iraq War.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/09/politics/cheney-obama-isis/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"Cheney, as he has done in recent public appearances, railed on Obama's foreign policy and defended the Bush administration's actions in Iraq. He said the Obama administration had failed to lock in a security agreement with the Iraqi government to keep some U.S. presence in the country to assist with the political transition, which Cheney asserted contributed to the instability there now.

"Doing nothing and pulling out -- he stressed several times -- was not a good national strategic policy," Rep Lee Terry, R-Nebraska, said of Cheney's remarks."

"The U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement (official name: Agreement Between the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq On the Withdrawal of United States Forces from Iraq and the Organization of Their Activities during Their Temporary Presence in Iraq) was a status of forces agreement (SOFA) between Iraq and the United States, signed by President George W. Bush in 2008. It established that U.S. combat forces would withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011."

How the fuck do they keep getting away with this revisionist history bullshit?

Back