• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Union Address Delayed Until After Shutdown

I could be ok with Abrams as a VP, but not top of the ticket until she's held a governorship or federal office.

"I'll run the country like a law firm!"

I've seen Suits. I think it could work.

As I said when she was selected to give the response, I think there is still A LOT of the country that hasn't gotten to know Abrams and O-Rourke. Most know the names, but few have seen them in action. I know it's tough to push 2 people who lost their elections, but when you consider the states they're in, I think both could be superstars on the national stage.

Former Minority Leader of GA House of Representatives. I guess she's more qualified than the Mayor of South Bend.

Yes,but Peter Buttigieg is gay and has as unfortunate a name as did Joey Buttafuoca or whatever that clowns name was..

I thought an SNL writer must have written the section about North Korea. Kim did more tests in a year with Trump as POTUS as his entire family had done in the past quarter of a century combined. Trump gave Kim credibility by having a public meeting with him. Then, rather than denuclearizing, NK has been building nukes at a record pace.

Kim couldn't have done better if he had been running both countries. It could be argued that no POTUS has had a worse "summit" in at least a hundred years.

I thought an SNL writer must have written the section about North Korea. Kim did more tests in a year with Trump as POTUS as his entire family had done in the past quarter of a century combined. Trump gave Kim credibility by having a public meeting with him. Then, rather than denuclearizing, NK has been building nukes at a record pace.

Kim couldn't have done better if he had been running both countries. It could be argued that no POTUS has had a worse "summit" in at least a hundred years.

To say you are full of shit is mere redundancy.. not all have fallen into your memory hole

“If there can be peace and legislation, there must be no wars and investigations.”

Still laughing at this, btw.

The Stacey Abrams Revolution

If choosing Beshear symbolized an effort to play on the president’s field and try to win some of his supporters, then choosing Abrams represents the opposite: a rejection of strategies aimed at that slice of white workers and an embrace of the diversity of the Democratic Party.

But there was more at work than just the visuals. Abrams’s rebuttal invoked her particular vision of an expansive “identity politics” that attempts to link the distinct concerns of various groups into a common struggle against broad disadvantage. She recently articulated this view at length in an essay in Foreign Affairs magazine, responding to a critique of identity politics by the historian Francis Fukuyama.

oh man, I memory-holed that 2017 Steve Beshear response.

Link to the Foreign Affairs essay referenced above

Last year, I was the Democratic Party’s gubernatorial nominee in Georgia and became the first African American woman in U.S. history to be nominated for governor by a major political party. In my bid for office, I intentionally and vigorously highlighted communities of color and other marginalized groups, not to the exclusion of others but as a recognition of their specific policy needs. My campaign championed reforms to eliminate police shootings of African Americans, protect the LGBTQ community against ersatz religious freedom legislation, expand Medicaid to save rural hospitals, and reaffirm that undocumented immigrants deserve legal protections. I refused to accept the notion that the voters most affected by these policies would invariably support me simply because I was a member of a minority group. (The truth is that when people do not hear their causes authentically addressed by campaigns, they generally just don’t vote at all.) My campaign built an unprecedented coalition of people of color, rural whites, suburban dwellers, and young people in the Deep South by articulating an understanding of each group’s unique concerns instead of trying to create a false image of universality.

Still laughing at this, btw.

The Stacey Abrams Revolution

oh man, I memory-holed that 2017 Steve Beshear response.

Link to the Foreign Affairs essay referenced above

The reception to Abrams’s rebuttal from national Democrats was unbridled enthusiasm, prompting calls for a presidential run. But she appears more interested in a second run for statewide office in Georgia, either against the Republican incumbent David Perdue for the Senate in 2020 or against Kemp in 2022 in a rematch. This is another part of Abrams’s brilliance: a recognition that Democrats need to build power at all levels of government, not just in Washington.

From the first link. Yep.

Trump: No Ridiculous Partisan Investigations!

GOP: BENGHAZI! HILLARY'S EMAILS!

Hell, he’s recently bitched that the FBI should be investigating Hillary instead of Russian meddling.

From the first link. Yep.

I really like her position that Democrats need to rebuild the party at the state and local levels, not just in DC. I sometimes got the feeling during both Bill Clinton and Obama's presidencies that many Democrats seemed to feel that, as long as they held the White House, everything was OK, irregardless of what happened to the Democratic Party elsewhere. The GOP has done major damage at the state level, such as here in NC, Wisconsin, Kansas, etc. The Democrats need to focus on winning more than just presidential elections, so she's definitely on the right track, I think. If Democrats really want to put a hurt on the GOP and Trumpites, they need to start winning back control of more governor's mansions and state legislatures, then implementing progressive policies and reversing reactionary ones.

Last edited:
Back