• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

This being the case, and that's not the first time I've heard that, why then would anyone believe that AFTER Pastner they're talking to Donovan?

Isn't the order of operations a little screwy there?

All of the recent developments regarding the NCSU coaching hire have been rumors. Unless we hear something from actual coaches or the NCSU athletics department I wouldn't take any of the talk seriously.

Just to clarify, I am going off what my source says, and I trust him. Doesn't make it true, just what I have heard is true. Just covering my tracks now so you don't all blame me later!

No one is going to believe you until that one is announced, anyway.

All of the recent developments regarding the NCSU coaching hire have been rumors. Unless we hear something from actual coaches or the NCSU athletics department I wouldn't take any of the talk seriously.

Seems likely the Pastner overture is true (whether an offer was made, perhaps less clear). Lot of smoke with that one though.

The ESPN article with Jim Calhoun saying he'll wait until after the season to decide on whether he's coming back is an interesting one though. I didn't realize he was on the fence. That would be a game changer for a lot of people. That's a legitimate 2nd tier job -- just below UNC, KU, Duke, UK, UCLA.

The Donovan thing would be akin to Thad Matta leaving Ohio State just because basketball is second fiddle there.

It could be like ours. We have heard that we talked to Stevens and Smith, and heard nothing at the time until [Redacted] was announced.

Yow has already said that nothing would be heard until a hiring was made.

It could be like ours. We have heard that we talked to Stevens and Smith, and heard nothing at the time until [Redacted] was announced.

Yow has already said that nothing would be heard until a hiring was made.

So you're saying they're hiring [Redacted]?

Then the plan is working perfectly. Sendek to Wake Forest?

I thought we already established that you're taking [Redacted], and you'll like it.

The ESPN article with Jim Calhoun saying he'll wait until after the season to decide on whether he's coming back is an interesting one though.

Please let cancer finally beat coaches on this one.

Please let cancer finally beat coaches on this one.

Hey I know a coach that died from cancer you asshole.

But it was funny anyway, because everyone hates Jim Calhoun.

That job opening up would bring some new names into the conversation though for sure.

Why? I just don't see anything from him that differentiates him from Stan Heath.

So if anything, would that not mean that Shaka is MORE overhyped than Heath? My point is that, outside of this ridiculous run, he hasn't really proven much, and I'd rather have a coach than excels in the regular season than one who makes a couple of big tourney runs. Hell, Smart isn't even the CAA guy I'd most want if I'm State (Blaine Taylor).

He is more hyped. Whether it is "over"hyped, I don't know. But, I think that publicity creates significant momentum for him, which often can be self-fulfilling. I don't think Smart is a "risky" hire for a school like NCSU. It would be risky for Duke or UNC, but not State. State has nothing to lose on that front, and should swing for the fences. Blaine Taylor may be a better coach, but his upside is extremely limited compared to Smart. That would be a miserable hire by comparison, for NCSU.

He is more hyped. Whether it is "over"hyped, I don't know. But, I think that publicity creates significant momentum for him, which often can be self-fulfilling. I don't think Smart is a "risky" hire for a school like NCSU. It would be risky for Duke or UNC, but not State. State has nothing to lose on that front, and should swing for the fences. Blaine Taylor may be a better coach, but his upside is extremely limited compared to Smart. That would be a miserable hire by comparison, for NCSU.

State has EVERYTHING to lose by hiring another Sidney Lowe. They need a sure thing. What they don't need is a sink or swim guy. They swung for the fences with Lowe, and struck out. Strike out again, and that program will officially be in defcon 5. The fanbase thinks Debbie Yow is going to bring them a great coach. Shaka is the definition of an "Incomplete" if you're grading a coach's potential.

Interesting tidbit this AM on Sportscenter that smart turned down Harvard to play Div. III ball at Kenyon college.

He literally is "Smart."

State hiring Josh Pastner would have been great. They would have had violations within five years, if not sooner.

State hiring Josh Pastner would have been great. They would have had violations within five years, if not sooner.

Donovan would be a great hire for the ACC. I'm trying to work up an irrational fear of Donovan at State, but I keep replaying the last 5 minutes and OT of the Florida-Butler debacle. Seriously, Donovan made Prosser's last 5 minutes and OTs against WVU look brilliant comparatively.

I mean, at least we threw the ball into Big E until he was totally gassed. Florida didn't even do that. Just slung up off balance 3s.

Donovan would be a great hire for the ACC. I'm trying to work up an irrational fear of Donovan at State, but I keep replaying the last 5 minutes and OT of the Florida-Butler debacle. Seriously, Donovan made Prosser's last 5 minutes and OTs against WVU look brilliant comparatively.

I mean, at least we threw the ball into Big E until he was totally gassed. Florida didn't even do that. Just slung up off balance 3s.

Macklin wasn't even in the game at the end because Donovan was afraid of him getting fouled. 1 of 2 FTs would have been better than what they got.

PackPride gem:

"So many threads discussing coaching search that it is impossible to read it all. So I apologize if this has already been discussed. Debbie could shock the you know what out of us with a hire of Geno Auriemma from the UConn woman's team. Impeccable record, unmatched number of championships, success everywhere he has coached. Everything Debbie said she was looking for. Would it work?"

Back