• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes Contract Extension

I'm hopeful Forbes will learn from this. Agree he's a huge step up from where we've been and I think he has a high ceiling. But he was not ready for yesterday. I hope he reflects on that and he and his team is better prepared next year. He got outcoached and our team got outplayed. Do better.
This is absolutely true. Huge upgrade but Forbes has work to do at the ACC level.

I'm hopeful Forbes will learn from this. Agree he's a huge step up from where we've been and I think he has a high ceiling. But he was not ready for yesterday. I hope he reflects on that and he and his team is better prepared next year. He got outcoached and our team got outplayed. Do better.

Well said.

You can hate him all you wish but coach K hurried to the mic after his final home game and, impromptu, told the crowd his team's performance was totally unacceptable. I despise the guy but I also respect that he has five national titles and 15 ACC tournament championships. They may not win the tournament but I'll guarantee that they will be prepared and not half-ass the effort!

imo changing your mind on the extension based on one game is pretty similar to hiring [name redacted] based on one game

yep. body of work suggests we have the right guy in charge in Forbes.

GTE is still going strong in many people right after the game. I get it but they're wrong.

Well said.

You can hate him all you wish but coach K hurried to the mic after his final home game and, impromptu, told the crowd his team's performance was totally unacceptable. I despise the guy but I also respect that he has five national titles and 15 ACC tournament championships. They may not win the tournament but I'll guarantee that they will be prepared and not half-ass the effort!

Well, they probably will beat 'cuse, but they certainly didn't come out and smoke them.

Well said.

I would have respected that a lot more if he'd said he held himself accountable for creating such a spectacle for himself at the expense of his players.

Also they do not look prepared against Syracuse and Banchero is absolutely half-assing it, among others.

I would have respected that a lot more if he'd said he held himself accountable for creating such a spectacle for himself at the expense of his players.

Also they do not look prepared against Syracuse and Banchero is absolutely half-assing it, among others.

That's a really interesting take. Because the game I just watched was the same effort I've seen for 42 years and yet another win against arguably the second best coach in the ACC in Boeheim.

Well, at least we have full bellies and a parting gift video all about "Destiny".

I'm not defending Forbes for his comments, but we wouldn't even be having this conversation if we could hit free throws. 10 of 23 is ridiculous.

I'm not defending Forbes for his comments, but we wouldn't even be having this conversation if we could hit free throws. 10 of 23 is ridiculous.
His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his jersey already: Luger's Rib-Eye plus Hot Fudge Sundae

I like Steve Forbes a lot and I believe he has the potential to be good coach for Wake. But his first two years do not prove that, and I question giving him a big extension (and presumably a big raise) based on this season.

This year we were basically a slightly above-average team in a very weak ACC, one that could show flashes of being really good (e.g., UNC game), and we played a ridiculously weak OOC schedule, running up the wins. The worst aspect of this season is that we peaked in January and not only stopped improving, we got demonstrably worse. We got increasingly sloppy and undisciplined, turnovers were absurd, and we got worse at defense, and defense is nothing but concentration and discipline that should only improve over the season. Compare VA TECH. Tech was terrible when we played them and was heading for the cellar, but turned itself around and is now going to the ACC championship game.

No, Steve, a college team never coaches itself. Never, ever. That's what you get paid to do and you failed over the last month, leading to the BC fiasco. So I hope Steve Forbes pans out, and maybe he will. I will be rooting for him, but he has a lot to learn about coaching at this level.

But you, see Coach K has a military background which necessitated that he create a clear succession plan. And of course he had to be honest with the recruits because it would have been public knowledge anyway. At least that is what a Dukie defender said on Twitter.

COY Forbes has learned the hard way that you keep coaching your team before the ACCT. You don't head out of town on a recruiting trip. :dumb: Wins at the ACCT are imperative both to the team and recruits.

Oh, and you eat chicken and not steak as a pre-game meal. :mad:

No, Steve, a college team never coaches itself. Never, ever. That's what you get paid to do and you failed over the last month, leading to the BC fiasco. So I hope Steve Forbes pans out, and maybe he will. I will be rooting for him, but he has a lot to learn about coaching at this level.

El-Oh-El... Perhaps you should sit Steve Forbes down and explain to him what he needs to learn about coaching at this level.

COY Forbes has learned the hard way that you keep coaching your team before the ACCT. You don't head out of town on a recruiting trip. :dumb: Wins at the ACCT are imperative both to the team and recruits.

Oh, and you eat chicken and not steak as a pre-game meal. :mad:

Always be recruiting.

Steve Forbes is still the best thing that has happened to wake hoops in years and being a bubble team in year two is everything we hoped for. Losing to BC sucked ass, but big picture Forbes is doing a great job. And I will never never criticize a coach because he was recruiting too hard- i want my coach to hop on a plane and go recruit whenever he has a chance to do it.

Steve Forbes is still the best thing that has happened to wake hoops in years and being a bubble team in year two is everything we hoped for. Losing to BC sucked ass, but big picture Forbes is doing a great job. And I will never never criticize a coach because he was recruiting too hard- i want my coach to hop on a plane and go recruit whenever he has a chance to do it.

Yep, the optics are miserable and Forbes knows that. Something tells me that it won’t happen again, though.

The optics of recruiting were fine. Even not practicing was fine. Let the players study for midterms and such.

But it seems clear that Forbes thought he was already in the field and didn’t treat BC as a must win game and generally dismissed the importance of the ACC Tournament in terms of legacy and making the NCAA Tournament. VT was on the low bubble and they’re trying to take the auto bid.

Last edited:
Posted this before elsewhere but I’ll do it again:

The last time WF played an ACCT game between two teams with .500 records or better in ACC play, and win the game, was the 1996 ACC Championship.

It’s high time we went into the tournament with a sense of urgency. Or just opt out of the thing.

And for clarity the extension was 100% the right thing to do.

Steve Forbes is a major upgrade over what we’ve had and I’m fine with the extension. I do wish he took the ACCT more seriously. Not only for the obvious fact that losing to BC likely ended our season other than the NIT, but because the ACCT should mean something. It’s prestigious and exciting on its own and not just a means to an end. It means something to the fans and should mean something to the players. I’d like an emphasis on all of that again in the program. It seems it hasn’t been there since Odom. I’m not sure if that’s because we haven’t had “ACC guys” as coaches, but I’d like Currie to straighten Coach out here.

Yes…indicates a lack of focus and preparation. Forbes did not do his job…the donor dinner and speech did not help either. That’s more on Currie

Back