• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Jobs on the Goog

Android a copy of iOS? What?

I think Jobs suffered from believing that anything remotely similar to what he does must be a copy because he believed he was the only person smart enough to come up with an idea. And yet he never turned that same critical eye onto his own products/ideas which are often just evolutions of other products on the market. Apple didn't even the first MP3 player, touch-screen smart phone, tablet, laptop, etc. Besides icons being arranged in a grid pattern on the screen (Windows 95?), I'm not sure what else he proposes that Android has copied from iOS. Perhaps he believes he saw the market for an evolved smart phone OS and that is was a "copy" for Google to enter the market to compete with him?

Last edited:
Yeah, how the hell could he think that?

apple-samsung-2.jpg

:couch:

apple-samsung-2.jpg

That's not really Android, that's Touchwiz, Samsung's skin for Android on their devices. And they're already in trouble for copying iOS for that, Google is not.

apple-samsung-2.jpg

They definitely look similar.

That is actually Samsung's UI on top of Android, and it's not the homescreen being compared to the homescreen. It's Samsung's app drawer being compared to the homescreen of Apple's UI. Apples and Oranges, especially since the App drawer is rarely used in Android due to widgets, etc that make accessing your most used apps and information easier from the home screen. Regardless, it's icons arranged in a grid, hardly something "copied" from Apple. Copied from Windows 95 maybe? As for hardware similarities, that has nothing to do with Android (and from any other Angle, the phones look nothing alike).

Meanwhile, how many features did Android have first? Notification bar? Wireless syncing? Tabbed browsing? Apps on the lock screen? OTA updates? Voice recognition? Or how about borrowing their new Apple-to-Apple Messenger app from BlackBerry? That list can go on as well (see above about Jobs being unable to admit that Apple takes ideas from others as well).

I have always appreciated Apple's products and marketing. They aren't for me, because I'm a geek who enjoys changing/customizing/etc, but they are great products for their target market. But Jobs is off his rocker when it comes to his accusations of others copying him without ever admitting to doing the same thing himself. He would probably claim that all of the ideas iOS has borrowed from Android were really his in the first place.

Last edited:
It just killed Steve Jobs that Android was Open Source.

But Jobs is off his rocker when it comes to his accusations of others copying him without ever admitting to doing the same thing himself. He would probably claim that all of the ideas iOS has borrowed from Android were really his in the first place.

:werd:

It just killed Steve Jobs that Android was Open Source.

There's no doubt that Apple's products had his personality. All reports are that he was a huge control freak, and it definitely comes through in Apple's products. Not necessarily a bad thing. It has it's place in the market, obviously.

Do we even need to get into how much of a flaming hypocrite Jobs is when it comes to theft of intellectual property?

Agreed, it's all bogus that people claim others are stealing basic ideas. We're not talking source kernels or search algorithms. Big news today is that the US Patent Office has awarded the "slide to unlock" to Apple, so get ready for more lawsuits. Which is also bogus.

Holy hell our patent office is screwed up.

Saw this article today as well. Normally I'm on the side of protecting the hell out of your trademarks, but really Apple? Really?
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...e-battles-apple-over-logo-dispute/?test=faces

Essentially, Apple is attempting to suggest that you can never use an Apple as a trademark for anything, no matter how different it appears from the Apple, Inc trademark.

Honestly, like many brilliant people I've met, I think Jobs was more than a little bit crazy and off his rocker. Totally unable to see some things rationally/logically.

i guess you watches 60 minutes.

GOOGLE IS THE DEVIL. I CANNOT WAIT FOR GRIMLOCK TO SAY:

ADS ARE BAD MODEL FOR REVENUES. COMPANY WITH 45 PRODUCTS AND ONLY 2 PROFITABLE WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL. APPLE>GOOGLE

Nope. I read the book "Infinite Loop" about 10 years ago and it covers this very topic.

Nope. I read the book "Infinite Loop" about 10 years ago and it covers this very topic.

I don't really have a problem with Google; I hate Googlers (not engineers; i love all engineers). Here is a typical conversation I have almost once a week at a bar:

9pm:
Juice: I hate ads, everything about ads sucks. I hate click through rates, and conversion rates. ads just suck. using ads to sell your products is basically accepting defeat as a company and your product is a failure.

10pm (enter girl - this time stacy)
Me: Hi, I'm Deac2010 and this is my friend Juice
Stacy: Hi! I'm Stacy.
Me: What do you do stacy?
Stacy: I work at Google
Juice: 00o0o0o0o0oo
Me: So what product do you work on?
Stacy: oh, I work in the Adwords customer relations department. It's so much fun beign a googler.
Me: im out. Juice, you with me?
Juice: Nah dawg, ima try to get it in.

A brilliant man who was at the top of his game who was a bit of an egomaniac?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU.

I fully believe Steve's impact on this world and society is incredibly significant, but much like sports figures who "let their fans down" by being crappy people, he was just another flawed human being like the rest of us.

I fully believe Steve's impact on this world and society is incredibly significant, but much like sports figures who "let their fans down" by being crappy people, he was just another flawed human being like the rest of us.

There's a good sermon in there.

I love how much Jobs hated the Android platform. I bet it really chapped his ass to see it doing so well with all of his "inventions" incorporated into the device.

Back