• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Kerr

tbpnwe

Reaction score
I thought he was by far the best announcer last night.

He consistently make keen observations only to have Kellogg agree.

Also, he was very unbiased.

I hope they keep him for next year.

Yeah my friend and I were talking about it, though he did a really solid job and would love to see him next year. Like you said unbiased (which is key) and I think that he showed a lot of knowledge for the game.

I was glad all of the guys at halftime kept it real and said the game was horrible. Because it was. Actually, I was kind of hoping the other guys would sugar coat it so that Barkley could come in and crush them. However, the game was too obviously poor for even a sunshiner to say it was anything decent.

After the VCU-Butler game, my brother in law asked me what I thought about two teams like that playing in the Final Four. My response was simple: "College basketball sucks." Even more sobering is the fact that Wake Forest is noncompetitive in this environment.

He's so much better than Kellogg, who is a bizarre combination of incredibly boring 90% of the time and ridiculously corny the other 10% (where he does half-assed Bill Raftery imitations that are just flat and completely unfunny). I hope this is a beginning of a phasing out of Kellogg, who really has no business being CBS's go-go announcer for an event like the Final 4, especially when you consider all the tremendous on-air basketball talent out there.

Also, I generally find the NBA on-air commentators to be far superior to the college ones, with Kerr as maybe the best young analyst. The combination of him and Kevin Harlan on the TNT broadcasts is simply phenomenal.

Last edited:
Kerr was great throughout the whole tournament. I always made sure to have him and Marv with the volume on even if I was paying closer attention to another game.

Kellogg still gets a pass for me because he was the ESPN color guy with Mike Patrick during the 1995 ACC tournament for all those watching outside the region and not on Raycom.

But yeah, Kerr was miles better.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Kellogg.

Gus would've made last night's game exciting.

"Howard. Brick. UConnn, rebouuuuund, yes!"

Yeah, get rid of Clark Kellogg immediately.

I have always loved Steve Kerr. For some of you youngsters, he should have a unique perspective on college basketball. Kerr played at Arizona for Lute Olsen and just as he started college, his Father was assassinated in Lebanon. I believe his Dad was the President of American university in Beirut (back when Beirut was super cosmopolitan). He may have even been held for ransom for a while before being killed, I can't remember.

Kerr was a marginal recruit by played significant minutes right away. He was a bit of revelation as a player, and he was heckled by fans and taunted about his Father for several Pac-10 games during his frosh year and then two things happened: he handled it with surprising poise and there was a media backlash and the heckling stopped.

Good guy.

They played Arizona State after his father's assassination (I don't remember if it was the first game after, or what) and some jokers started shouting "PLO! PLO!" (which was even more stupid since the PLO didn't have anything to do with the assassination).

Kerr dropped 20 on them in the first half.

He also decked Michael Jordan in practice one day. Badassmotherfucker.

Last edited:
i hope they can kellogg completely and go with kerr for color commentary.

I have always loved Steve Kerr. For some of you youngsters, he should have a unique perspective on college basketball. Kerr played at Arizona for Lute Olsen and just as he started college, his Father was assassinated in Lebanon. I believe his Dad was the President of American university in Beirut (back when Beirut was super cosmopolitan). He may have even been held for ransom for a while before being killed, I can't remember.

Kerr was a marginal recruit by played significant minutes right away. He was a bit of revelation as a player, and he was heckled by fans and taunted about his Father for several Pac-10 games during his frosh year and then two things happened: he handled it with surprising poise and there was a media backlash and the heckling stopped.

Good guy.

Wow I did not know that, thanks for the info. Kerr was great last night, I hope he gets brought back next March.

Kellogg and Nantz however should just be replaced by Gus. Gus and Steve would be all you need.

Kerr loves doing NBA for Turner Sports. no way he goes to college full time. He'll be there for the tournament as long as Turner Sports has part of the contract, hopefully.

They played Arizona State after his father's assassination (I don't remember if it was the first game after, or what) and some jokers started shouting "PLO! PLO!" (which was even more stupid since the PLO didn't have anything to do with the assassination).

I'm gonna deck Jordan next time I see him.

Jordan punched Kerr not the other way around.

http://superpunch.blogspot.com/2007/10/video-michael-jordan-discusses-time-he.html

When people talk about the best 3 point shooters in college basketball history the list should begin and end with Steve Kerr.

Jordan definitely landed a punch, maybe Kerr was just swinging. Still, takes balls for Steve Kerr to get all up in MJ's grille.

Kerr talks about that here, and just about general stuff: good article that I randomly just stumbled upon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1997/bulls/straight.html

The Kerr-Jordan relationship was further strained when the two players took opposing sides in the NBA players' union split during labor talks with league owners. The bitterness came to a head during a practice in which Kerr and Jordan were repeatedly pushing off while defending each other.

Talk about gall. Kerr, who hadn't been in a fight since elementary school, took a hard shove from His Airness and suddenly started swinging. "I knew I had two choices," Kerr says. "Either let it go and be obedient to Michael forever, or fight and probably get my ass kicked. I picked a real winner for my adult fighting debut." He wound up with a black eye.

When Kerr arrived home, he found an apology from Jordan waiting on his answering machine, and the relationship quickly changed for the better. Jordan had previously ridden Kerr for everything from a missed shot to a lack of aggressiveness. That stopped after their fight, and Kerr has since become a Jordan favorite.

Last edited:
Back