• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve King and Rand Paul

FuckmouthedRube

Reaction score
http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/8/5/5971093/steve-king-rand-paul-meet-DREAMer-erika-andiola-run-away

Rand Paul made an appearance with Steve King in Iowa and two Dream Act advocates approached them. Once Rand heard they were immigration advocates, he stopped eating and got the hell out of there. King argued with the two while one of his aides instructed the person (allegedly a resident of King's district) filming the encounter to cease and desist. No surprise that King went after the people, but Rand's reaction won't please anyone. He'll piss off GOP hardliners for not supporting King and others will be disgusted that he appeared with King at all while he's advocating for a bigger tent GOP. Not exactly profiles in courage.

I watched it earlier today. Just ugly politics all around. Nobody is redeeming in that exchange. The DREAMers are in attack mode from the beginning. King is very condescending ("clearly you know how to speak English" and "I'm sorry you come from a lawless country"). Rand dropping the burger and bailing even though he shook hands with the DREAMers. King's handler bullying the person with the camera. The random person shouting "go home." Just politics at its worst.

SLAT_140805_Rand.gif

I watched it earlier today. Just ugly politics all around. Nobody is redeeming in that exchange. The DREAMers are in attack mode from the beginning. King is very condescending ("clearly you know how to speak English" and "I'm sorry you come from a lawless country"). Rand dropping the burger and bailing even though he shook hands with the DREAMers. King's handler bullying the person with the camera. The random person shouting "go home." Just politics at its worst.

SLAT_140805_Rand.gif

meh. asking to rip the DACA card a bit showy, but they were pretty polite throughout the exchange. He was far more offensive in his condescension.

Then went in with the entent of getting a viral gotcha moment instead of "Hello, I'm a dreamer. I just want to tell you my story so you can consider it in your opinion on the issue."

It's pretty clear the Kings of the world don't consider DREAMers to be American so they don't matter. It's a cut and dry issue and their minds can't be changed.

Props to Paul's handler for doing his job and getting him out of there. Props to Paul for not taking the burger with him. I know I would have done that.

Then went in with the entent of getting a viral gotcha moment instead of "Hello, I'm a dreamer. I just want to tell you my story so you can consider it in your opinion on the issue."

It's pretty clear the Kings of the world don't consider DREAMers to be American so they don't matter. It's a cut and dry issue and their minds can't be changed.

Props to Paul's handler for doing his job and getting him out of there. Props to Paul for not taking the burger with him. I know I would have done that.

Props to Paul? What kind of man leaves a burger behind.

King is a condescending ass.

If he had come back and got the burger at about the 1:30 mark, I would have voted for him.

Excellent analysis from ph. Another case of advocates of both sides of an issue making things worse instead of better.

Both scored points for their side and alienated those of us who want to hear thoughtful people talking about these issues. The "squatters rights" argument for the DREAM Act isn't going to fly for a lot of people.

Mexicans in Iowa kind of reinforce the opinion that we need more border security.

Just kidding. Kinda.

Mexicans in Iowa kind of reinforce the opinion that we need more border security.

Just kidding. Kinda.

Yeah. Surprised they didn't try to replace Rand's burger with a taco.

:shmelc

Stop it, Ph. That's twice you've actually made me laugh in a month.

Back