• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steven Chase practicing with a torn ACL, hopes to play.

I am just surprised, as my initial question is still are our other options that bad compared to a kid on a torn acl?

Few people on this board have had nearly the issues with knees that I've had, including 5 operations and a full replacement before age 40. The risk of further damaging the knee and having to deal with ALL the shit that knee pain brings later in life is not worth a game or football in general. I get that he's wanting to do what he can to support his team and teammates, especially given his recent history. I get that the OL is the last place coaches want to see another player sit. I also get that with his size, he might have thoughts of playing after WF. I get all that. It's not worth it.

Can Chase get a medical redshirt year if he doesn't play this year or no?

Pretty sure he can't since he took a non-medical redshirt already. I think the only way you can get a 6th year is if you've already redshirted for medical reasons then have to miss another year. Probably the reason he wants to give it a go. He's losing this year in eligibility regardless and he can just get the surgery after the season and be back in time for 2013 if he can play.

Well I remember what happened with Tony Rutland. Having a torn ACL is not like playing with a broken finger or a sprained ankle.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Grownups need to step in here and do the right thing, agreed.

Lateral movement is weakened with a torn ACL, while moving forward and backwards can typically be done with a very stable brace. I don't see how he could possibly play offensive line, and even if he can I don't see why the coaches/trainers would think it's a good idea since this is a college kid's health we're talking about.

How is Bolling?

Zach Thompson (I know, not OL).

As for Chase, I actually thought the line did ok last Saturday - so why push this now? They must think Tanner is going to face incoming artillery this Saturday.

If you've played football your entire life, you're probably not going to avoid a knee replacement down the road. Heck, even weekend warriors can expect this. I'm not saying he should play, but let's be honest here.

Can Chase get a medical redshirt year???

Yes, yes he SHOULD. Lots of paper work but he should be able to go through with it. Its called medical/hardship red shirts, and under this circumstance, he should have no trouble getting approved for it by the NCAA

Logan Mankins did it in the NFL last year, despite not telling anyone.

For what it's worth: Anybody who thinks the Pats weren't aware of that injury is batshit crazy. They've covered up broken limbs for their superstars for seasons at a time. Such a weird organization with the way they handle injuries.

Well I remember what happened with Tony Rutland. Having a torn ACL is not like playing with a broken finger or a sprained ankle.

This is bullshit. Yeah, an ACL has a (much) longer recovery time, but playing with torn ACLs isn't unheard of, and recovery time for that type of injury varies widely depending on the particular athlete.

More of RJ talking out of his ass. I still don't really want Chase coming back, though. Don't like the risk/reward ratio there at all.

How is Bolling?

Zach Thompson (I know, not OL).

As for Chase, I actually thought the line did ok last Saturday - so why push this now? They must think Tanner is going to face incoming artillery this Saturday.

Even if Chase does come back it seems highly unlikely he'd be available Saturday. I have a hard time imaging he'd be cleared by then plus he hasn't practiced in weeks so its very unlikely he would be in game shape. If the decision is made for him to play this year it won't be because he is needed Saturday.

If he can redshirt than yes shut it down and move one. But if not i kind of get it. This is it - you only get one shot to play college football and then its gone. If you think you can go without doing further damage, i guess its fine. There are a million differences between this and Renner - this will be a well thought out, not in-game, not brain damaging decision. I think we can all rest assured that no one at Wake is talking him into it and they will absolutely talk him out of it if its not in his best interest. Relax everyone.

I think the problem with a 2nd redshirt year is he wouldn't know if he would receive it before it's to late. They don't let you know until after the season right?

There is no way they'd even let him practice if he could damage it worse or compromise other parts of the knee. And I'm sure his parents are in on the decision and are fully aware of potential risks. It sounds like Steven and his parents are okay with this, so I don't think this is Grobe making a desperate play here. He told DC they were just going to let him run around a little bit, probably more to lift his spirits than any intention of using him.

Back